Flute Method

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Nicoharp
antispam: No

Flute Method

Post by Nicoharp »

Hello everybody,
i've received my Tipple in D a week ago (thanks for the advices in my precedent post :) ) and i'm looking for a good flute method now about the tone, breathing, posture on the instrument... I've seen this method. Is it a good one ?

Thanks !
jim stone

Re: Flute Method

Post by jim stone »

Yes, it's very good. Widely respected. I took lessons from the author
while he was writing it. Helpful book, especially for beginners.
Denny

Post by Denny »

however it assumes that you already can play the sucker :D

here is a you tube that will get you started
Sir James Galway Masterclass
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Super choice! I'll be taking a week of group lessons for the third year in a row this summer from Grey and he uses excerpts from his book as part of the class. If you're in the US in mid-late June, "drop by" Elkins, WV for the Timber Flute Festival!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Nicoharp

Post by Nicoharp »

Thanks for the answers :thumbsup:
i'll go buy this book so, there is some free samples here
Nice videos, it helps for the embouchure :)
celticmodes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by celticmodes »

You can search the forum on the subject of Grey's book and find differing opinions.

It is a great book and he took his time explaining the intricacies of different aspects of the methods (breathing, tone, rolls, articulations).

The only area I can remember to be aware of is that of his fingering choices for cuts/rolls. He explains in the book why and it's a good explanation but not what you might learn from a traditional player.

Just something to be aware of. Though the king of Irish flute says:

"Grey has, through his research, patience, and diligence, completed a work on Irish flute and tin whistle that I feel is essential reading for anybody interested in getting it right." - Matt Molloy
celticmodes
[Reviol 8 key | Oz Vambrace | Dusty Strings Ravenna | Luna Trinity Parlor]
Javier Vila

Post by Javier Vila »

Hi!

That book is great yet a little bit thick from my point of view. I bought it and never managed to read it completly. I learned more than ten year ago with this other much more thinner but very usefull indeed, especially for the Irish style.

http://www.amazon.com/Timber-Flute-Tuto ... 494&sr=1-1

If you want to learn Scottish or Classical music I'd recomend reading the old methods from the 19th century and some of them arealso free.

http://www.oldflutes.com/facsimiles/index.htm

Good luck
j
Avatar picture: Ribas' improved flute by Scott. To find out more about J.M. Ribas, the Spanish flutist who replaced Charles Nicholson after his death, go to:

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Ribas.htm

http://sites.google.com/site/ribasmusicos2/home2
Nicoharp

Post by Nicoharp »

Thanks, the Fintan Vallely's book seems very good too. I've seen that there is a tutor Cd by Seamus Egan, what do you thin about it ?
it's here
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

June McCormack's book is good too.
http://www.draiochtmusic.com/fliuit/
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
mandoboy

Post by mandoboy »

I have been working on the flute for a bit over a year. It is a fun instrument to play, but there is quite a steep learning curve. I would like to offer a few things that I have learned so far for you:

If you get three tutor books, you will get three ways to do the same thing. I believe one isn't right and the other wrong. They are just different ways to accomplish the same thing.

I found that having a whistle is extremely helpful when learning how to do ornaments. It takes the struggle of learning the embouchure out of the equation. This allows you to learn what it is that you are trying to accomplish technically, then carry it over and learn it on the flute.

A free on-line tutor for the whistle is here: http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/brosteve/ It will teach you all you need to know to get you started on the flute as well.

I found that most tutors really don't teach you how to get your embouchure going. I am not sure why that is, but I think it is a thing that you just have to develop. Finding a local player (or teacher) to help you with this is a good thing.

Listen to a lot of flute music.

Good luck. It is very frustrating at first, then it continues to be. ;-)

It is well worth the struggle.

Jeff
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Nicoharp wrote:I've seen that there is a tutor Cd by Seamus Egan, what do you think about it ?
That tutorial was part of the "Mad for Trad" series of tutorials. It's not bad but doesn't spend much effort on the basics that some need to get started with the flute. Good tunes to play along with though. I do not believe the Mad for Trad series is still being distributed but you may find a copy out there. I passed my copy along some time ago. They've been discussed here repeatedly so do a search to see what others may think about that CD. Just use the search function at the top of the page. Search on "Mad for Trad" in the Flute forum.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Nicoharp

Post by Nicoharp »

mandoboy wrote:I found that having a whistle is extremely helpful when learning how to do ornaments. It takes the struggle of learning the embouchure out of the equation. This allows you to learn what it is that you are trying to accomplish technically, then carry it over and learn it on the flute.
Thanks for the answer, i already have a whistle :)
I started with a tin whistle but i love the irish flute :love:
I've seen all the method and i don't know which book i'm going to have.
So the Grey Larsen's one
Fintan Vallely's tutor
or June McCormack's book
brotherwind

Post by brotherwind »

Nicoharp wrote:
mandoboy wrote:I found that having a whistle is extremely helpful when learning how to do ornaments. It takes the struggle of learning the embouchure out of the equation. This allows you to learn what it is that you are trying to accomplish technically, then carry it over and learn it on the flute.
Thanks for the answer, i already have a whistle :)
I started with a tin whistle but i love the irish flute :love:
I've seen all the method and i don't know which book i'm going to have.
So the Grey Larsen's one
Fintan Vallely's tutor
or June McCormack's book
Suggest you start with June McCormack's book. Lovely, lovely music. Good scope but not to heavy to digest for a start.
All the best,
Moritz
Maeloc
Tell us something.: I love Emer Mayock, Matt Molloy, Jean Michel Veillon and Michael McGoldrick playing. My favourite flute makers are Hammy Hamilton and Solen Lesouef

Post by Maeloc »

Nicoharp wrote:Hello everybody,
...and i'm looking for a good flute method now about the tone, breathing, posture on the instrument...
I absolutely agree with Brotherwind comments, but June McCormack's book does not include info about tone, breathing nor posture; it is great to learn tunes, ornaments and where to breath though; tunes are very appealing even the simpler ones

As a beginner about to quit, I'd recommend you to find some teacher at least for the basics of embouchoure (maybe three or four classes would do) and also take a look in the mirror to check the form of your lips (if you have a teardrop in your lips that could make things difficult)
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I don't know the entire book, so I can't really comment on the whole. I've also heard many good things about it.

But a few days ago I had occasion to look at one of the techniques presented in the book and the accompanying audio track. And I found a significant printing error, as well as what might be regarded as non-standard and possibly confusing terminology.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74187

This hardly condemns the book! It's just something to be alert to, if there are other errors, as may happen in a self-published book. Maybe the current printing includes an Errata page.

The cover does kind of creep me out, but that's a different issue ... :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.