chromatic whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
UncleChuck
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in making whistles. I have been doing it for years, and I have finally started to get good at it.

Re: chromatic whistle

Post by UncleChuck »

hoopy mike wrote:On the non trad front, UK whistlers of a certain age might like this:
http://www.thebadshepherds.com/
Nice link. Thanks!
henryz

Post by henryz »

Since you mentioned Led Zepplin, I think "Stairway to Heaven" been's covered by a number of whistlers - hostroute for one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmD2ExoMAi8. I'd like to hear someone do the solos from Albert King's "Crosscut Saw" or the classic Clapton solo from "Crossroads" (only half joking). Those two examples might be a bit wild for pennywhistle, but then some of the South African dudes could belt out some interesting riffs, also (ie. some of whistle tracks behind early Skylarks vocals).
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

henryz wrote:Well Chuck, I'm sure that you're now on the Trad Police's 10 most wanted list...
I wonder how I stand on their list.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

hoopy mike wrote:On the non trad front, UK whistlers of a certain age might like this:
http://www.thebadshepherds.com/

Got to love the Bad Shepherds. I must get around to seeing them live sometime this year. :D
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
UncleChuck
Tell us something.: I am interested in making whistles. I have been doing it for years, and I have finally started to get good at it.

Post by UncleChuck »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:
henryz wrote:Well Chuck, I'm sure that you're now on the Trad Police's 10 most wanted list...
I wonder how I stand on their list.
They came to my house yesterday and asked me a bunch of questions. I told 'em how to find you. They seemed excited. :)
henryz

Post by henryz »

Yeah, they showed up here, too, and confiscated everything below the key of C...
Daniel_Bingamon

and confiscated everything below the key of C...
Nice thing about basswhistles, they can double as grenade launchers.
UncleChuck

Post by UncleChuck »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:
and confiscated everything below the key of C...
Nice thing about basswhistles, they can double as grenade launchers.
LOL!
Denny

Post by Denny »

Daniel has a very diverse product line
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Daniel_Bingamon

Maybe instead of the Trad Police showing up, it'll be the ATF for making WMD - Whistles of Mass Destruction.
tin-titan

Post by tin-titan »

Wow I loved that video of Eileen Evers and her ITM, Bluegrass, Gospely Blues crew. Love the energy and love the optimistic tempo.
"Wake up your bones,
Tune up your drones,
Let flee that heavenly tone."
tin-titan

Post by tin-titan »

Has anyone heard of a organization/show called Barage? They are da bomb.
"Wake up your bones,
Tune up your drones,
Let flee that heavenly tone."
henryz

Post by henryz »

I have several homemade high-F's that my wife claims are Whistles of Mass Destruction after her 3 year old nephew picked one up and just blew as hard as he could. I may also get a visit from PETA for damaging the hearing of all dogs within a 5-mile radius of the house.

I also wonder what a high-F (or Gen high-G) would sound like mic'd, through an old stomp box (fuzz, mainly), then thru some old tube amp (my long deceased Guild Thunderbass comes to mind). So much potential deviance, so little time...
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

talasiga wrote:the colour of the whistle
obtains not
from the chroma of the keys
but the shadings of the slide
Well said. The Nyah, in fact.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

spalpeen wrote:.....
@talasiga, I will attempt to explain: The relevance is that Ivers plays traditional music with a skillful jazz twist. She is also fond of mixing African themes with Irish traditional music. She is an unconventional traditionalist. They apply a very different set of tonal and rhythm constraints to the music, but without going so fas as to make the tune unrecognizable. (usually) They add a distinctive bluesy/jazzy flavor that I like a lot. She seems to recognize how all of these different styles are similar, rather than focusing on how they are different. She is an innovator.

I like the sound of a whistle. It has a sort of a spiritual texture that is unique. Many of the experienced players that I know (and I am still very much the noob) like the more refined sound of a Burke. I like the sound of Feadog or Susato better. I want to apply that sound to a more bluesy style with ITM themes and tunes as the centerpiece. To do that I need to be able to play a different set of scales, hence the need for a "more chromatic" instrument.

I know very well that I would never "get away with that" at a session and it is doubtful that really anyone would be interested in listening, other than me. However, my being able to listen to it is a very sufficient reason to try it.
thank you for your sincere and informative response. :)
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit