I didn't move south for this

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
hans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Re: I didn't move south for this

Post by hans »

Looks good! But Simon's advice may be prudent, snow is heavy. Two foot on a green house may crash the glass and may break some light structures, three foot on a shallow or flat roof may break some rafters.
dwest

Post by dwest »

hans wrote:Looks good! But Simon's advice may be prudent, snow is heavy. Two foot on a green house may crash the glass and may break some light structures, three foot on a shallow or flat roof may break some rafters.
I agree whole heartily with hans advice. I have rarely seen snow rakes in the east but with the impending snow I would suspect they could be crucial. And it looks like a high potential for ice damming to boot.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

hans wrote:Looks good! But Simon's advice may be prudent, snow is heavy.
Of course it's prudent. I come from the land of the ice and snow. From the Midnight Sun where the Hot Springs Blow!

And I have shovelled my share of rooves*. Probably more than my share, cuz I'm not scared of heights, so I usually get those kind of jobs. Anyway, in your area there *will* be collapsed rooves, maybe even a fatality or two. You're probably ok with that much snow, but if you get rain or freezing rain on top of that, watch out! A roof pitch that low, or lower, can be trouble. Ironically, the worse your insulation, the better off you are, because your snow will melt away a lot sooner.

A dormer like that, by the way, is perfect for 'safety' roof shovelling, which means leaning out the window and sweeping away anything you can reach without going out onto the roof. If you're not used to being on the roof, a snowy day isn't the time to learn how. Up here, roof shovelling is what roofers do in the winter. Well, probably not in Vancouver, but everywhere else in Canada, sure.

*Yes, I know the dictionary says "roofs". The dictionary can bite me.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
emmline

Post by emmline »

Hurray for steep pitches.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

emmline wrote:Hurray for steep pitches.
I had a look at your roof, actually. I was gonna use your driveway pic, and then I looked at it, and thought "not a problem'.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

s1m0n wrote:[Of course it's prudent. I come from the land of the ice and snow. From the Midnight Sun where the Hot Springs Blow!
Hammer of the Gods
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
Denny

Post by Denny »

rather prefer the hot springs pool....
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Lovely photos!! Just lovely! Thank you.
Cotelette d'Agneau
gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gonzo914 »

My work takes me all over the country, and there is a substantial probability it will take me to Baltimore in a couple of weeks.

I'm trusting you people to have this cleaned up by then.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Pammy

Post by Pammy »

gonzo914 wrote:My work takes me all over the country, and there is a substantial probability it will take me to Baltimore in a couple of weeks.

They are too busy taking photos and putting them here :)

"Quick, take the photo and run back in the warm"
Life is good!!!
Even when I am Miss Understood!!!
chas

Post by chas »

gonzo914 wrote:My work takes me all over the country, and there is a substantial probability it will take me to Baltimore in a couple of weeks.

It's possible that Mother Nature will clean it up. Otherwise, dream on.

I braved the roads and local drivers yesterday to get gasoline for the generator (we're expecting 10-15" today with strong winds, power outage likely). It had stopped snowing 60 hours earlier. The roads are a mess. I was able to get around by taking back roads almost exclusively, but the main roads look as though they haven't been touched since the snow ended. The four-lane road I live on only has one lane cleared in each direction. Turn lanes haven't been touched. I can't begin to imagine what it's going to be like when people go back to work. My road was backed up over two miles from 7 till 3 yesterday. We haven't gotten mail since last Friday.

It seems to me that hot weather is the only option for clearing the snow.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
dwest

Post by dwest »

We are getting hammered here right now, lost power about an hour ago, almost blowing a gale. But I think the sun will be out in a few minutes and then we will get another hit later this afternoon. Cazy weather. :boggle:
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Here's a radar map as of 10 AM

Here it's coming down rapidly, very small flakes, lots of wind -- almost "white-out" conditions. Can barely see out the windows.

For some reason it made me think of this :o :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhk4Hcxh ... re=related
emmline

Post by emmline »

Here are the dug out walkways from my front porch. I think I'm pretty much done.
The bicep that was complaining yesterday, is screaming today with every shovelful I toss. This will have totaled a bit over 3' when all is said and done.

Still, must share this, for fun:
chas

Post by chas »

emmline wrote:Here are the dug out walkways from my front porch. I think I'm pretty much done.
. . .
The bicep that was complaining yesterday, is screaming today with every shovelful I toss. This will have totaled a bit over 3' when all is said and done.
Sh!t, Em, I'm with you. I'm too old for this. (Can you really see across the street, or was this early this morning? I've barely been able to see the kid's play house since late this morning.) I've done two turns of shoveling today, and after that, coupled with the last four days, I'm done. If the wife wants her car dug out, she can dig it out (she's told me this). The first time out, my back was just killing me. Second time out, I had to shovel in only one direction. (I don't know whether it's right-handed or left-handed. Grip of shovel in left hand, shaft in right hand.) My left arm has been bothering me for a month or two, and it was on fire if I tried to use it on the shaft of the shovel. I'm hoping a combination of nature's painkiller (beer) and ibuprofen will allow me to sleep tonight.

It's pot roast for supper tonight. I made beer yesterday, so it's also bread night. I'll share a recipe:

mix together:

2 c water
1.5 T yeast
2 t salt

sift and stir into wet stuff:

3 c all-purpose flour
1/3 c gluten (I've started to use AP flour plus gluten instead of bread flour just to keep the number of 25-lb bags of stuff in the house to a minimum)
1/2 c dry malt extract

stir/knead into mixture:

2 c brewing grains (I started with 1 lb crystal malt and 1/4 lb black patent; any kind of grain will work)
2 c whole-wheat flour

Add as much AP flour as is needed to reach the right texture with kneading

Let rise once or twice as you see fit. Bake about an hour at 400F. Enjoy. Mine's smelling pretty good now.

I may actually gain weight after all this shoveling just because I have so much time to cook.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.