I didn't move south for this

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

I didn't move south for this

Post by chas »

We got a little over two feet of snow, mostly Saturday. Lost power for around 18 hours, luckily we recently invested in a wood-stove fireplace insert, so we had one comfortable room and it wasn't below 50 anywhere in the house. (It's been in the teens at night for some time.) I settled south of the Mason-Dixon line specifically to get away from this kind of weather. Here are a few pics:

http://www.box.net/shared/lpv41tcj1p

I remember a photo of my brother-in-law, from around 1970, shoveling their driveway in Maine with a pile of snow almost taller than him. I didn't think this would ever happen to me, especially in Maryland, but it has.

http://www.box.net/shared/dhtphuc4i4

The swing set.

http://www.box.net/shared/oxdi4328at

This is our "squirrel-proof" bird feeder with a snow crown twice the size of the feeder.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
fearfaoin

Re: I didn't move south for this

Post by fearfaoin »

You didn't move South enough.
The Mason-Dixon line is political
not meteorological :)

I moved from NC to MD just in
time for the gobs of snow MD
got in 2003. I moved back the
next year.
emmline

Post by emmline »

My empathy Chas. Here's my Saturday worth of work:
(I can feel my biceps today. They aren't letting me forget.)
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

I live in Alabama and the Southeast had a winter storm in 1993 that people still talk about. We had 16 inches of snow at my house and temperatures of around 0 degrees for a few days. (Typically, Because that amount of snow had been, uh, unprecedented, to say the least, the snow brought down an incredible number of very old and large trees, many of which came down on homes and on powerlines, the latter taking down the power grid for the entire area. In addition, as discussed previously, the Southern states have very little equipment to deal with snow. At my house we had my mother, my wife, my three young daughters, and myself, all living in one room because of the cold. We had no heat except a fireplace, which I fed for 3 days. I ran out of firewood about the time the roads cleared. But, we were without heat or power for 7 days. Heated canned food over the fireplace. (I've since purchased a gas range!)
chas

Post by chas »

One more thing: I live on a service/frontage/access road, so there are houses on only one side of the street. Of course, the plow almost always throws the snow toward the houses rather than toward the other side (in 10 years, I remember them plowing the other way once). But this time, the plow hugged the curb. On the opposite side of the street. So there's at least 10 feet between where the road has been plowed and all the mailboxes. I have no idea when or how we'll get mail. Nobody I've talked to has any plans to dig out another few hundred cubic feet of snow to make a pathway from the road to the mailbox.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
dwest

Post by dwest »

It looks like great snow shoeing conditions, some people have all the luck!
Pammy

Post by Pammy »

dwest wrote:It looks like great snow shoeing conditions, some people have all the luck!
No sympathy then:)

ImageImage
Life is good!!!
Even when I am Miss Understood!!!
Caroluna

Post by Caroluna »

Hi Chas and Em, I wondered how you were doing!
Here's my pics

Last week here was our St. Francis statue

On Saturday he was just a lump to the right of the seed tray.

The snow is pulling the gutters off the aviary / greenhouse.
On the other hand, the roof is very well insulated now!

We won't be getting mail for a while either....

Still coming down Saturday noon.

It was very pretty, fluffy snow that stuck to everything in an aesthetically pleasing way.

Well, maybe not everyone thought so.

...The blob to the right is my car... :o
chas

Post by chas »

Great pics, Carol!

Latest from the National Weather Service, they're talking 10-20" beginning Tuesday.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Dale wrote: (I've since purchased a gas range!)
The new ones usally have electric ignition, which means they still don't work in a blackout. I spent the five day Montreal Ice storm in an older apartment with a pilot-lit gas stove and furnace, which was unaffected. I ended up with about 18 friends sleeping on the floor.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Denny

Post by Denny »

bic
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Denny wrote:bic
If you can override the safety cutoff.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Denny

Post by Denny »

technique :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Dale wrote:I live in Alabama and the Southeast had a winter storm in 1993 that people still talk about. -snip-
I remember that well! I was about 13 at the time. I actually got stranded at my grandmother's house for a few days because my parents couldn't get on the road to pick me up. People here freak out at the slightest possibility of snow, and I've had a couple of people older than me say a lot of it goes back to that storm.
btw Dale- my coworker just told me Alabama might get snow Thursday. I'm sure I'll see the typical horde of folks stocking up on their bread, milk, and beer, the 3 storm necessities here. :lol:
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Caroluna wrote:Hi Chas and Em, I wondered how you were doing!
Here's my pics

Great! Now go shovel the roof!

C.S. Lewis