How much ornamentation is enough?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DrPhill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

How much ornamentation is enough?

Post by DrPhill »

And how can one tell?
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Bothrops
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: How much ornamentation is enough?

Post by Bothrops »

Enough for who?
If you are playing for yourself, and you like the way it sounds, you can put as many ornamentation as you want.
When I learn a tune (usually from sheet music -I know, I know, it's not the best, but I'm lazy), I don't pay attention to how many ornamentation I put on it. It's almost automatic. When I play a new tune over and over, the ornamentation starts to show up, as well as the variations.
As far as you keep the rhythm, it's okay...

So, that's my answer. If it sounds good to yourself, it's fine.

Cheers,
Martin
narrowdog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by narrowdog »

Hi
Its a personal taste thing
Micho Russell's type of style is what I like, keeping it simple,
too much rolling flattens a tune for me, takes all the life from it.
As long as the rhythm is there do what you like.
Just my thoughts

@ Bothrops
Its great to here from you :thumbsup:
Happiness is taking things as they are.
R Small
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by R Small »

I also like Micho Russell's style. Clean and spare but with enough ornaments to add some spice.
walrii

Post by walrii »

When the audience leaves, you've got too much.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
m31

Post by m31 »

And how can one tell?
In a wine tasting course, the instructor told us to drink wines we like to drink, not necessarily the ones we're told to like. Of course when I understood what makes a good wine (or a fine Scotch), I started to appreciate those a lot more.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

I've personally always thought that when ornamentation gets to the level that it's covering up poor execution, that's too much.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Thanks for your replies.

I have got to a stage where ornamentation seems to appear of its own accord in some tunes. In some tunes the ornamentation keeps increasing. I am worried that I will over-ornament as I have heard that beginners do this :D . On the other hand, in another thread, it was suggested that I use more ornamentation.

I guess its one of those situations where musical judgement and taste are needed. (that's me stuffed then!). Rhythm is most important, it seems, or for slow tunes (which I prefer) perhaps its the flow/shape of the music.

Any more views? Suggestions?

Thanks
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

In the words of Bilbo Baggins, 'Lots and none at all', though admittedly that was re: dwarves.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Back on one of your old hobbit horses I see ...
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

Ornament enough so that you can leave some of it out next time around and have a bit of the tune charmingly hanging to one side like the town of Fermoy.
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Too many view ornamentation as things to stuff into a tune to achieve a "pro" level of playing. The articulations that you build into a tune should be put there intentionally to serve the tune in that instance; they should complement the pulse or rhythm or enhance a unique feature of that phrase of the tune. I've heard great tunes played at both ends of the spectrum (sparse ornaments vs. multiple) so it's very much about quality and not quantity. It's easy enough to look at a dotted quarter in a jig and play it as a roll, and there's not anything wrong with that, but don't make the mistake of looking at a rolled G as more advanced than playing, for example, GEG. It's all good stuff if it serves the tune well and certainly doing both of these rather than rolling every one will keep the listener's attention longer. Without a little variation you might as well record a tune once through and loop it becasue that's about as interesting as it is to listen to.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

m31 wrote:
And how can one tell?
In a wine tasting course, the instructor told us to drink wines we like to drink, not necessarily the ones we're told to like. Of course when I understood what makes a good wine (or a fine Scotch), I started to appreciate those a lot more.
This is a great analogy. Some people will be forever fine to buy the cheap under $10 bottles of wine (that's me!), but people who have experience and have developed their palette will be looking for something a bit more difficult to obtain. And sometimes when you're still starting, something that an expert really likes just tastes too strong and you can't take as much. But then, some very good wines are also really easy to drink. I love this analogy.

But straycat also makes a good point, and it's important that it be stressed: Ornaments are not things that are put in to make your playing more advanced, they are (mostly) articulations and are integral to the tune. It is all about how you put them in. The flip side is that people will be able to tell how advanced you are by your ornaments (among other things!), but because of how they are used, not (just) how much. The irony of course, is that if they are placed in badly, it can often sound like there is just too much ornamentation.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I vastly prefer no ornamentation to too much, or the wrong kind.

A routine annoyance for me are the classically-trained violinists who play ITM in our session, with gobs of vibrato and exaggerated sweeping animation. Sheesh, just play the tune. :sleep:

I also don't drown my fries in ketchup.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
riverman

Post by riverman »

benhall.1 wrote:Back on one of your old hobbit horses I see ...
Hey, leave Jem alone! We Middle Earth fans like to vacation there once in a while!
:lol: :lol:
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.