Give Me Your Best!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
riverman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Give Me Your Best!

Post by riverman »

In the grand tradition of Mutepoint's "100 things" threads, I would like to propose a new one:
"100 of your best whistle experiences." I love to hear whistling stories. These could be a private moment whistling alone, or about a setting you whistled in, a session, or some unexpected good reaction from people.

Here's mine:

RIVERMAN GETS A STANDING OVATION!!

This November my sister bought me an airline ticket to her home in Denver, Colorado because she said she needed some "brother time."
While in Denver, I try to hike as much as I can. One free day, I drove to Golden and hiked the Mt. Gilbraith trail, an easy trail in the foothills you can cover in an afternoon. Though close to Golden, when you get up into the trail there are beautiful hills, fragrant scrub brush, and patches of pine. Perfect for whistling!
While along the trail, I sat on a rock and took a break, bringing out a brass D whistle, and began playing some tunes. Along the trail behind me came a group of about 12 middle-aged men and women, obviously hiking together. I stopped whistling immediately because I didn't want to "blow" them off the trail.
And they stopped too.
Wondering what they were doing, I said "Hi."
And the leader said, "We're not walking any further 'till you play some more."
Astonished, I resumed playing while they all passed me, many thanking me, until they passed and went up the next switchback.
I was really pleased, and played some more.
Then I heard noise above me. Turning around, I saw them all standing in line along the trail, applauding!
Shocked, I took an elaborate bow.
I got a standing ovation!!
(...of course, they were, uh, already standing...)

Now give me your experience!
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Give Me Your Best!

Post by brewerpaul »

A couple of years back, a woodworking friend convinced me to enter a couple of my whistles in an area woodworker's show. I was pleased to win third prize in the "miscellaneous" category-- pleased because there were some amazingly great pieces of wood work there.
As I passed by the table holding my whistles, I saw a couple of people looking at them and one of the people said "I wonder what they sound like". I picked up one of the whistles and rattled off The Kid On The Mountain or some other favorite tune, put it down and walked away without saying a word... :D
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

riverman wrote: I drove to Golden and hiked the Mt. Gilbraith trail
Riverman, you were hiking in my back yard! Well, actually in the hills across from my house, but you know what I mean. Gilbraith has a very nice set of trails. I have enjoyed several hours there, but for some reason I have never had a whistle along. Glad to hear you had such a good experience.

If you make it back to Golden, email me for some other good hikes that have excellent vantage points for whistling. Not sure if I can arrange for such a good audience, however.

Can also suggest sessions in Golden, Boulder and Denver if you interested.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
dolphinjon

Post by dolphinjon »

Mine happened in Callabasse, Haiti this summer. I was one of about 60 people there to do a day camp for the local kids in the community. Each day, we say about 120 different kids and then we had about 80 people hanging out at an orphanage, which normally houses about 20 people, during the evenings. I like people, but not that much! So, I would go down to the partially built school building after supper to play my Kerry Low F while no one was around. The sounds of that whistle echoing off the concrete of the room and spilling down the mountain were truly magical for me. I don't know how other people felt about it, but it was just what I needed after being around so many people all day. I'm taking my Parks D Everywhistle on a cruise this weekend so I'm sure I'll have some deck I really like to play it on :D
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

My favourite moment...

Just over a year ago, I got put in touch with a friend of a friend who was interested in hosting a music gathering for people connected with the Northumbria Community. The idea was for people to meet up with their songs/tunes and to produce a CD from the day.

We worked on two tunes composed by Rob, a blind chap who had recently taken up the whistle. He sent us some very rough recordings which we transcribed and arranged (he couldn't make it to the gathering day). One tune was called "Rothbury Holiday" after a village in Northumbria close to where Rob lives. He went there one sunny summer's day and could hear children splashing around in the stream, birds singing and so on, so it inspired quite a jolly tune.

We recorded the tune live, with whistle, fiddle, guitar, mandolin and percussion. It went so well, that we produced a CD and sent Rob a copy, which made his day and ours too.
riverman

Post by riverman »

swizzlestick wrote:
riverman wrote: I drove to Golden and hiked the Mt. Gilbraith trail
Riverman, you were hiking in my back yard! Well, actually in the hills across from my house, but you know what I mean. Gilbraith has a very nice set of trails. I have enjoyed several hours there, but for some reason I have never had a whistle along. Glad to hear you had such a good experience.

If you make it back to Golden, email me for some other good hikes that have excellent vantage points for whistling. Not sure if I can arrange for such a good audience, however.

Can also suggest sessions in Golden, Boulder and Denver if you interested.
Thanks, Swizzlestick, were you one of those houses right across the road to Golden Gate park? If so, you are blessed indeed! You definitely want to take a whistle along on your next hike! They were made for outdoor playing. And I would like to hear about those trails next time I come up...and a hiking companion perhaps?
OBrien
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by OBrien »

Mine involves a bit of name-dropping, so if you'll excuse that, here goes. The summer before last, on a Wedesday, I phoned my mother who lives in Victoria on Vancouver Island. She mentioned that The Chieftains were playing on Friday. I phoned the Royal Theatre and was able to get a couple of tickets, so I packed my paniers, including a rosewood Rover and a prototype three-piece low D and headed over the Island by bicycle and ferry on Friday morning. When I arrived, my mom showed me a newspaper clipping that said the Chieftains would like local musicians to stop by during the sound check for a bit of a session. So we showed up at the stage door at the appropriate time, but no other musicians were there and no one at the theatre know anything about a session. We managed to bluff our way through the stage door, when someone who knew the keypad code showed up. Sure enough, there were the Chieftains on stage, checking mikes and such. I waited for an opportune moment when there was a pause and Paddy Maloney's whistle clogged up a little. I strode over and said "Mr Maloney, I made a rosewood whistle for you." and handed it over, already assembled. He blew a few notes on it and said it sounded better that the one he was playing. That was a thrill. I mentioned that we had met before, when I had been at an after-concert party in Prince George, BC sixteen years earlier. He claimed to remember that meeting, but I didn't believe him. Anyway, the rosewood whistle spent the concert on a little table next to Mr Maloney, unplayed. I guess he didn't want to take a chance on a brand new whistle, in a performance setting. I have tried, through his agent in Vancouver, to get some feedback about the whistle, but no luck so far. I guess I should be satisfied with the great man accepting the gift and playing a few notes on it.
riverman

Post by riverman »

dolphinjon wrote:Mine happened in Callabasse, Haiti this summer. I was one of about 60 people there to do a day camp for the local kids in the community. Each day, we say about 120 different kids and then we had about 80 people hanging out at an orphanage, which normally houses about 20 people, during the evenings. I like people, but not that much! So, I would go down to the partially built school building after supper to play my Kerry Low F while no one was around. The sounds of that whistle echoing off the concrete of the room and spilling down the mountain were truly magical for me. I don't know how other people felt about it, but it was just what I needed after being around so many people all day. I'm taking my Parks D Everywhistle on a cruise this weekend so I'm sure I'll have some deck I really like to play it on :D
Thanks, Dolphinjon, I like to take a whistle on mission trips to Guatemala and Haiti also. In Haiti I played from the mission house roof, which was furnished and itself roofed! I took a Gen Bb. I know the sound you mean--one of the most beautiful parts of whistling. It carries.
riverman

Post by riverman »

O'Brien wrote:Mine involves a bit of name-dropping, so if you'll excuse that, here goes. The summer before last, on a Wedesday, I phoned my mother who lives in Victoria on Vancouver Island. She mentioned that The Chieftains were playing on Friday. I phoned the Royal Theatre and was able to get a couple of tickets, so I packed my paniers, including a rosewood Rover and a prototype three-piece low D and headed over the Island by bicycle and ferry on Friday morning. When I arrived, my mom showed me a newspaper clipping that said the Chieftains would like local musicians to stop by during the sound check for a bit of a session. So we showed up at the stage door at the appropriate time, but no other musicians were there and no one at the theatre know anything about a session. We managed to bluff our way through the stage door, when someone who knew the keypad code showed up. Sure enough, there were the Chieftains on stage, checking mikes and such. I waited for an opportune moment when there was a pause and Paddy Maloney's whistle clogged up a little. I strode over and said "Mr Maloney, I made a rosewood whistle for you." and handed it over, already assembled. He blew a few notes on it and said it sounded better that the one he was playing. That was a thrill. I mentioned that we had met before, when I had been at an after-concert party in Prince George, BC sixteen years earlier. He claimed to remember that meeting, but I didn't believe him. Anyway, the rosewood whistle spent the concert on a little table next to Mr Maloney, unplayed. I guess he didn't want to take a chance on a brand new whistle, in a performance setting. I have tried, through his agent in Vancouver, to get some feedback about the whistle, but no luck so far. I guess I should be satisfied with the great man accepting the gift and playing a few notes on it.

Yes, you should!
Liam
Tell us something.: Been playing Irish music for years, now I want to learn more about whistles to help teach my kids. Currently I play the Anglo Concertina and B/C accordion.

Post by Liam »

My favorite whistle moment is quite recent... I am not a great player, really still a total beginner with a few simple tunes under my belt. That being said, I doubt that I could find a better experience if I had played for 50 years and was so good that Mary Bergin wanted lessons from me :)... The best part is I get to repeat it several times a week. Its quite simple really, I play my whistle for my son... he is six and a half months old and whenever I play, he will look up from what he is doing, look at me and give me one of his big goofy smiles. I imagine every parent would understand how special that is despite how often it is repeated :).

--
Bill
Whistler Bard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Whistler Bard »

Liam wrote:My favorite whistle moment is quite recent... I am not a great player, really still a total beginner with a few simple tunes under my belt. That being said, I doubt that I could find a better experience if I had played for 50 years and was so good that Mary Bergin wanted lessons from me :)... The best part is I get to repeat it several times a week. Its quite simple really, I play my whistle for my son... he is six and a half months old and whenever I play, he will look up from what he is doing, look at me and give me one of his big goofy smiles. I imagine every parent would understand how special that is despite how often it is repeated :).

--
Bill
You all have great stories and moments, but this one is really...magical.

You must be a happy person Bill.
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

As I've said elsewhere I've only just started playing the whistle after a long break. I was never really any good back then and didn't know many tunes. Having got back in to playing music and joining in at the local sessions I spent three weeks working up Inisheer which had just been introduced by another musician at the session. I went along and halfway through the evening took out my whistle and just started. The look on everyone's face was priceless and the congratulations at the end made up for the extreme nervousness I had felt before I started.

Sorry. A bit self congratulatory perhaps but I felt good about it. :)
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
riverman

Post by riverman »

Bravo, Liam, and all of you!

More, more!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Can no one count! We will make it to 100 if we count.

#8. I am a social worker for folks with mental retardation and developmental disabilities who live with my foster families. Someone occasionally passes away. More often than naught, we have a very small funeral service with the small group of people who were involved in their lives. My foster families will bury them in their small family cemetaries on their land and my wife and I provide the music. We should all be so carefully put to rest.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
squidgirl

Post by squidgirl »

#9 Posted previouly: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60365
cephalopods => weirdly intelligent