Just intonation whistles - how?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
hans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Re: Just intonation whistles - how?

Post by hans »

Fuzziness and bad intonation may be charming in ensemble play, but not if you play solo.
I know in playing solo whistle I automatically tend to play in just intonation.
And as a whistle maker it is not just an academic question, but has practical implications.
You could do a simple test and check the fifths to various notes on the whistle:
D - A, E - B, G - D, A - E, B - F#.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

If all your fifths are pure then you have (by definition) pythagorean tuning.

But most people can't tell if the fifths are pure without a reference -- that's why fiddlers (and even the very best violinists) always tune strings in pairs.
fiddlerwill
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

Its not just the drones I hasten to add. When we talk about notes scales and modes, they are always discussed in relation to other notes, . If you take an individual note, , its just a sound , its only if you view it in relation to other notes present or past/future or a conceptual framework such as ET that the notes become meaningful, or not as the case maybe!

Chords built up of perfect intervals are wonderfully harmonious. I know from experience that its quite simple to play a tune on an instrument and sound grand, but if those notes are stacked upon each other in a chord then all these fine issues of intonation become Glaringly apparent.
Music is understood by the brain in relation to the minds memory of music. The more you listen, the more you hear/understand.
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

highland-piper wrote:If all your fifths are pure then you have (by definition) pythagorean tuning.

But most people can't tell if the fifths are pure without a reference -- that's why fiddlers (and even the very best violinists) always tune strings in pairs.
I did not mean that all fifths should be pure. That won't work. See this comparison between Pythagorean, Indian and Western Just Major:

Code: Select all

I  II  III IV   V  VI  VII  VIII
D   E  F#   G   A   B   C#  D'  D-major scale example
0  +4  +8  -2  +2  +6  +10  0   Pythagorean (pure fifths) Tuning  
0  +4 -14  -2  +2  +6  -12  0   Indian JT major 
0  +4 -14  -2  +2 -16  -12  0   Western JT major 
in approximate cents from ET tuning
A pure fifth is 3/2 ratio, or about 702 cents (700+2 cents = 7 ET semi-tones plus 2 cents).
With the Indian JT major we get these pure fifths:
D-A, E-B, F#-C#, G-D, A-E, but not B-F#, which causes a problem with Aeolian.
F# and C# are both flat against ET, and making them sharp as in Pyhagorean tuning won't work musically.
With the Western JT major we get these pure fifths:
D-A, F#-C#, G-D, A-E, B-F#, but not E-B, which causes a problem with Dorian.

Adding a Cnat of 16/9 (appr. -4 cents) will add another pure fifth: C-G.

So how should the Sixth be tuned? +6 or -16 cents, or a compromise, like -5 cents, which will neither give pure fifths for Dorian nor for Aeolian, but will make it perhaps easier to bend either way (and will be a compromise tuning, not a just tuning)?
Last edited by hans on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

You OK out there Ben ?
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Hey, I apologized after starting the last go-round on this topic.... :cry:

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Yes, please. Enough.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
hans

Post by hans »

Why?
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

For one thing, your face has transmogrified into a mandala.... :D

Best wishes.

Steve
hans

Post by hans »

Don't be deceived!

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Oh no !!! Not the goat thing again..... :shock:

[Isn't there a Smilie for a dead horse ??]

Best wishes.

Steve
hans

Post by hans »

highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

fiddlerwill wrote:Its not just the drones I hasten to add. When we talk about notes scales and modes, they are always discussed in relation to other notes, . If you take an individual note, , its just a sound , its only if you view it in relation to other notes present or past/future or a conceptual framework such as ET that the notes become meaningful, or not as the case maybe!
Not exactly -- most musical instruments don't play pure frequencies. Whenever you play a note on an instrument -- pretty much any instrument -- you're playing a chord. Different instruments have more or less harmonic content, and more in various places. Bagpipes and fiddles have a lot of harmonic content. Flute and whistle not nearly as much. With fiddle you can alter the harmonic content through the selection of strings, bows, and instrument set up. You can also change it while playing through the bowing (closer or further from the bridge, etc). On Highland bagpipes a single tenor drone has such prominent harmonics that people with discerning ears can be tricked into thinking that there is actually more than one tone.

There is a harmonic series built into each note we play, so if your ears hear that harmonic content you will tend to want to play your notes in tune with it. If you lay out all the different harmonics of all the different notes in a major scale (considering only the melody line), there is more than one solution to the "problem" of playing "in tune." But ET is not one of them...
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

hans wrote:
I did not mean that all fifths should be pure. That won't work. See this comparison between Pythagorean, Indian and Western Just Major:

Pythagorean won't work for what?
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

yes, highland piper, I said something like this several times some time ago when discussing timbre.

BTW folks can you now see why what we consider as "modes" of a scale are actually scales in their own right?

JI Aeolian cannot be had as a relative of a JI Ionian (as is faked in ET).
You don't automatically get a B Aeolian that sounds good to the ear using the notes of D Ionian.

In my experience, Hindustani flautists (bansuri) prefer to articulate all their different scales
with XXX OOO tonic which naturally obtains a JI Lydian scale. Where they do deviate from this (and especially in folk whistel - my late father being one )
they prefer XXX XXO for both Dorian and Aeolian tonics.

Personally,speaking, I have never found XOO OOO satisfying for solo Aeolian work.

I find this to be a very important type of topic because, amongst other things, I think that the desertion of JI driven music explains why
* the various Celtic traditions have lost so much audience in the last 100 years
* the indic traditions have lost some of their magic (referring to introduction of harmonium in the last 100 years or so)

(Oh BTW I do play harmonium and I do enjoy a lot of western classical piano).
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit