TV techie question re: speakers

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
emmline
antispam: No

TV techie question re: speakers

Post by emmline »

Now that I have my first flat screen ever up and working, I have a quibble with the sound.
This isn't something I noticed until American Idol started up season 9, so it's primarily related to elevated vocals, such as, well, singing.
It gets a little buzzy or distorted at loud moments.
Would it be worthwhile to plug in some kind of not-high-priced external speakers? I am far from caring about big-deal tv viewing experience, and have no interest in theater quality, or surround sound, or that sort of thing.
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Re: TV techie question re: speakers

Post by dfernandez77 »

It's hard to give an answer without knowing what outputs the TV has. We can get that from an online manual if we knew the make and model.

Once we know what kind of output, we will know what you may be able to use. Maybe something you already own, like a boombox with decent sound, or an MP3/iPod speaker set will work. And the improvement in sound might be just the ticket.

First we need to know what outputs are available. :)
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
emmline

Post by emmline »

The manual suggests using the digital (optical) port for audio out. There is also a L/R (red & white) audio out.

It's this: Samsung PN42B450 42-Inch 720p Plasma HDTV
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Whoa! Big one! I thought it was like a 24" for a bedroom or something. The boombox idea is a bit silly in that case.

Unfortunately the built in speakers on some flat panels are not great, because they expect you will have a home theater setup.

If your home stereo is set up in a way for the speakers to compliment the placement of the screen - you can just patch the right and left audio out into it.

Another idea is a good sounding set of powered speakers. These are made for a computer, but you can get an adapter for about $3.00 to plug these in to the TV, and the sound is really good for the price of $40.00 - my brother uses a set to play music all the time.
Altec Lansing VS4121
http://www.alteclansing.com/vs4121-pc-c ... akers.html

Why "computer" speakers? Because any decent "home audio" powered speaker or home theater set will run your 5 times the price minimum. Keep in mind with computer speakers, you'll need a place to stand the little satellite speakers. Home theater sets you'll need a place for the speakers or speaker stands. Soundbars sit on whatever you have the TV on, below the screen.

If you use the digital out you will need a home theater system most likely. They come in satellite + subwoofer sets, and in "soundbar" + subwoofer sets. Again, your decent choices will start at about $250.00.

Either way you go - powered speaker or a home theater system - the volume control on the TV remote will NOT effect the volume of the powered speakers. Again a reason to get a home theater system, as they usually have a remote.

I hope other people have ideas for you as well.
Daniel

Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Daniel has some good ideas, but maybe you can get better sound for a lot less money. It just so happens that I have a slightly used 8-track tape player that may patch in to your HDTV without too much difficulty. I am selling the whole package for $7.95, which is a lot less than Daniel mentioned in his post. Please let me know if you are interested in taking advantage of this offer.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Is the only problem American Idol? On rec.audio.pro, the audio professionals are always complaining about the crap sound production on that show.
chris_coreline
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by chris_coreline »

speeking as a part time hi-fi nerd: any external speekers beat any internl speekers. also just use the red/white plugs, finding a hi-fi system with a decent digital input is likley to be an expensive task.

even on a big screen a modernish boom box will provide much better base extention and solid sound then those rubbuish built in flat thingeys.

all generic talent shows have pants sound; but their sound is consistantly pants across all knowen speeker / television configurations, and damn, thats an achievment.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Emm ... Along the lines of Daniel and Doug ... I'll bet you already have something around that you can use to test an external setup temporarily before you invest in something more elaborate. Powered computer speakers, a small home stereo, etc. Use the L/R analog audio outputs and corresponding inputs. If the problem of overmodulation is in the TV's audio circuitry (or, as Chris suggests, the broadcast itself) and not the speakers, an external setup won't help.
dfernandez77 wrote:Either way you go - powered speaker or a home theater system - the volume control on the TV remote will NOT effect the volume of the powered speakers.
Maybe, though this is sometimes user selectable via the TV setup menus. Or if you're using a cable/satellite converter box, tap or patch the audio from the box instead of the TV, and that's usually volume-controllable via the remote.

If you really want to get geeky, you could record the problematic sound passages with a digital audio recorder, then examine the waveform in something like Audacity. TV sound is generally compressed to a fare-thee-well, but flat-topping of audio peaks should still be pretty obvious, and indicate a problem more with the audio than with the speakers.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

MTGuru wrote:
dfernandez77 wrote:Either way you go - powered speaker or a home theater system - the volume control on the TV remote will NOT effect the volume of the powered speakers.
Maybe, though this is sometimes user selectable via the TV setup menus.
I downloaded and read the manual for the TV. Both digital and analog audio output are line level, with no gain adjustment in the TV.

Good ideas though. Test whatever you have hanging around that has an RCA left and right analog audio input (that's what the right and left audio out is).

I did note that the Idol show (my brother watches it) has production problems, I can hear it in the other room. In just the first couple shows they can't get gain right. Lots of clipping - that's the crackly sound when the singers are belting it out.
Daniel

s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

A set of headphones will tell you in seconds whether the problem is the speakers or the show.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

s1m0n wrote:A set of headphones will tell you in seconds whether the problem is the speakers or the show.
True, if there's a headphones out on the TV at more than line level, that also tracks the volume. Or you use a set of amplified phones on the L/R outs. Otherwise you need to plug the phones into some sort of stereo or external amp anyway, which likely has speakers attached.

If the problem's the audio or the show, phones should reveal that. But if the problem is the spekers, maybe not. That is, you might not want to drive the headphone audio up to the same level where the speakers crap out ar room volume, without risking damage to your hearing. You wouldn't be able to A/B the internal and external speakers at the same level, so you'd be left with only negative evidence.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Good ideas. I'll mess around with it. Yes, so far I've only noticed on AI. Did not notice the problem on the opening orchestration in Pirates of the Caribbean (the dvd I used to test that set-up,) nor do I notice it when the kid is blasting mutant, virus-plagued humanoid entrail-eaters. Both of the latter two are running from the PS3, not that that should make any difference. I will plug in something cheap, and check it out.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Why are you watching American Idol?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
emmline

Post by emmline »

mutepointe wrote:Why are you watching American Idol?
The same reason I sometimes use vinyl tablecloths.
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

The AudioEngine A2 might work very well for you. They are not super cheap (around $200) but are remarkably good for their size. They handle vocal reproduction nicely. Explosions come off less well if that's an issue. You can hook them up either to a headphone output or RCA jacks.

http://www.audioengineusa.com/A2%20revi ... Review.pdf
I'm asking you because you're an educated sort of swine. John LeCarre