Looking for Pipes teacher in the Dallas/Fort Worth area

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Halilim
antispam: No

Looking for Pipes teacher in the Dallas/Fort Worth area

Post by Halilim »

I'm looking for a UP teacher in the Dallas area. Anyone know someone, or IS someone? :)

Let me know!
שמע ישראל יהוה אלהיך יהוה אחד
G Burman

Re: Looking for Pipes teacher in the Dallas/Fort Worth area

Post by G Burman »

It would be well worth your time to go to the Mickey Dunne workshop in Houston.
Peace
GB
Last edited by G Burman on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
pudinka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by pudinka »

It would be well worth your time to go to the Micky Dunne workshop in Houston.
That is exactly what I was thinking...it's a bit of a drive, but Mickey is worth it.
It's true that you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar - but a big, steaming pile works best of all.
G Burman

Post by G Burman »

Oh yeah. You'll be getting traveler tips and technique right from the source. If you do find someone in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area to teach you, they should go learn from Mickey too. Very few pipers are in his league. Certainly none in Dallas/Ft. Worth. I did a workshop with him 2 years ago and I still refer back to the class recording I made. He's unbelievable. Bring a recording device.
GB
Last edited by G Burman on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doogie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doogie »

G Burman wrote:Oh yeah. You'll be getting traveler tips and technique right from the source. If you do find someone in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area to teach you, they should go learn from Micky too. Very few pipers are in his league. Certainly none in Dallas/Ft. Worth. I did a workshop with him 2 years ago and I still refer back to the class recording I made. He's unbelievable. Bring a recording device.
GB
Actually their are a few excellent uilleann pipers in the DFW area.
Cheers, Seth Hamon
http://Hamonbagpipes.com
pudinka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by pudinka »

Very few pipers are in his league. Certainly none in Dallas/Ft. Worth.
I think he only meant that there are few pipers in Mickey's league.
It's true that you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar - but a big, steaming pile works best of all.
G Burman

Post by G Burman »

AHAAA....So there ARE pipers in DFW area. C'mon then. Someone step up and help out Hali. Wassup wit dis? C'mon Doog. Cut loose. Set Hali up. :swear:
Whoever they are, I'd love to see'um try to trade tunes with Mickey. Gotta be bold and gifted to rise to his level. Gotta be even bolder to claim they can keep up with him. Sheesh, his dad was the last of the traveling people. The music's in his blood, his bone marrow, his DNA. I say Mickey takes em out first tune. :P
GB
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I fail to understand why piping and pipers' ability have to be some kind of a competition for some... who cares? Mickey Dunne is great, but there are MANY who can claim that, and not all of them are or choose to be in the spotlight.

Anyway, anybody out there who can help Halilim?
G Burman

Post by G Burman »

I love the story Seamus Ennis told of two pipers trading tunes all night. Early in the morning when both had played every last tune they knew, nobody could decide who was better. The one piper goes out for a breath of air and heard the morning lark singing in the meadow. He comes back in and plays the tune he heard the lark sing and then everyone knew who the better piper was. Stories like that give a rich tradition to the music for me. I think competition builds character. It's a way to challenge yourself to get better. When we lose, which I would invariably do, we man up, congratulate the winner, and go practice some more. The way Seamus tells the story and then plays the tune is brilliant. Thanks Seamus, for leaving us with that story. :love:

Anyway, I was trying to flush out a teacher for Hali. Maybe get more piper's to go see Mickey. Wish I could. I'll have to wait till he's back in my neck of the woods. Didn't set out to ruffle feathers by mentioning competition. :tomato: Or the "C" word i guess you could call it.
Doogie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doogie »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I fail to understand why piping and pipers' ability have to be some kind of a competition for some... who cares? Mickey Dunne is great, but there are MANY who can claim that, and not all of them are or choose to be in the spotlight.
I agree. One of the best uilleann pipers I have ever hear is David Bennet of Ft.Worth, and as said he is one who doesn't care to be in the spotlight. He just loves to play.

Halilim, pm me. I'll do what I can to help you. I've never been much of a teacher but I am a uilleann pipemaker and I can help you out with any set up problems, reeds, etc.

Cheers, Seth Hamon
Cheers, Seth Hamon
http://Hamonbagpipes.com
G Burman

Post by G Burman »

NICE!! Good man yourself for steppin up Doogie. A big part of it's having a pipe maker to help ya get them in order.
Best of luck to ya Halilim :thumbsup:
GB
Anasazi Piper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Anasazi Piper »

Gary, Check your PM. "Anasazi Piper"