Books that you'll never read

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Books that you'll never read

Post by mutepointe »

fearfaoin wrote:
mutepointe wrote:I'm one of the four. Here's my alibi:

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2009/07 ... hings-are/
You were too busy reading
"Where the Wild Things Are"?
I saw the movie before I had a chance to read the book. I read Where the Wild Things Are a long long time ago so I still got good white cred.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

emmline wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote: I can't remember who posted this link, but it's worth repeating. Why Dan Brown's writing is so bad: explained
Thanks for my laugh du jour, IB.
That's exactly the reaction I had to Dan Brown's prose (no, I'm not one of the 4 people who hasn't read The Da Vinci Code,) but I appreciated the thorough exposition.
I've never read anything by Dan Brown, and after reading that article I don't think I ever will. Thanks for the warning, IB.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

"Sometimes A Great Notion"- Highly recommended, but never able to get through it before losing interest. Perhaps a steady childhood diet of comics, TV and enjoyable tripe such as *"The Third Eye" has wrecked my attention span & literary palate for the duration.

*purportedly written by Lama "T. Lobsang Rampa" after a favored boyhood in Tibet and unmasked later as Cyril Hoskins from Plympton, Devon. A fabulous read in any case for kids not ready just yet for "The Outsiders". Kids whom like "Jumanji" or "The Modern Handy Book for Boys" would like it.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

brianormond wrote:"Sometimes A Great Notion"- Highly recommended, but never able to get through it before losing interest. Perhaps a steady childhood diet of comics, TV and enjoyable tripe such as *"The Third Ey e" has wrecked my attention span & literary palate for the duration.
I read that back, oh, I dunno, decades ago and liked it.

I have had a decline in my attention span in the last 10 years ago. I still read a lot of novels, among other things, but it takes me longer to read them and I read in shorter sessions.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Dale wrote:I have had a decline in my attention span in the last 10 years ago.
Huh. Wassup with you guys. Even as I get older I find I can still concentrate for long periods, In fact, I'd even say that I....

Let's go and ride bikes fellahs....
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Ha! I remember "The Third Eye". It was pretty obvious that the thing was bogus, but it was a good read, nevertheless.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
emmline

Post by emmline »

Dale wrote:
I have had a decline in my attention span in the last 10 years ago.
Me too, and I don't like it. I read while exercising, in 20-30 minutes stints, but rarely undertake serious reading beyond that.
Today, while wasting a little time, we took a peek in the Johns Hopkins University/Barnes & Noble bookstore, and--yes--several things intrigued me, as they always do in university bookshops, but I know my concentration is too patchy to commit. I don't know whether it's life conditions or an age thing.
Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV

Post by Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV »

This conversation reminds me of a comment a member of the Idaho Legislature made years ago when the U of I needed funds to upgrade the library. "Why do you need so many books? One person can't read them all."
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

For me the more interesting (and frightening) exercise is not to list books I don't think would be worth reading but rather to list books which I think are worthy but which I still know I won't read. Well, Proust and most of the Anthony Powell novels come to mind. Lord of the Rings is another. There will be lots of excellent shorter works I miss too, but because I can pick any one of them up on a whim, I can't name them yet. Well, I do have a strong feeling that Satanic Verses will remain unread.
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

I've tried War & Peace 3 times and have never got past about 600 pages. I will never try again. I have heard it described as -
The 'war' bits are good and the 'peace' bits are good but there's an awful lot of 'and'.

I don't get Dostoyevsky either.

Tried Ulysses. Didn't get more than a few pages through that. Impenetrable.

I have read The Da Vinci Code. Horrible. Although I did somehow make it to the end, only to realise I knew what it was going to be from about 1/3 the way through.

Uncle Tom's Cabin. Totally unreadable, and for all it's claims, utterly condescending to the point of racism. Not one to be tossed lightly to one side but hurled with vigour at the nearest wall.

I don't 'do' celebrity biogs either. *shudder*
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.