Horror in Haiti

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
weedie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Horror in Haiti

Post by weedie »

Thinking of you and your family at this terrible time Doc........keep your chin up mate..
" Quiet is quite nice " ..... weedie .....
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

dwest wrote:A comment from one of our local enlightened ones.
The Rev. Pat Robertson, on his CBN broadcast today, offered his own explanation of the earthquake in Haiti:
"Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it," he said. "They were under the heel of the French ... and they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, 'We will serve you if you'll get us free from the French.'
"True story. And the devil said, 'OK, it's a deal,'" Robertson said. "Ever since, they have been cursed by one thing after another."
God loves slavery. Who knew?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Just horrifying!

I have a colleague who is on her way over there right now. She has shown us in the past that even the smallest contribution does make a difference in situations such as this.

Online donations can easily be made through The MSF (Médecins sans frontières) web site.
http://www.msf.org

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

This is another safe and reliable way to contribute, CNN's 'Impact' site:

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2007/impact/

Also, 'Stop Hunger Now': http://www.stophungernow.org/site/PageServer

Both will accept even very small donations, and they do add up.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
emmline

Post by emmline »

Oxfam, also. Numerous options.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I've received some news from Haiti. Our director's wife Marjorie has suffered a broken leg and lost her dear mother who was a surrogate "grandma" to 250 little ones. She will be sorely missed, a truly sweet soul. We also lost one of our drivers and a woman who was a caretaker both of whom have been with us for some time.

The children from all three houses seem to be alright though the report was that "the children of Petionville are alive and in a safe location" which suggests that their house may have suffered sufficient damage to render it unsafe. The phone call was very short and the connection, terrible. It was very difficult to understand everything Guesno (our director) was saying. His English is excellent but he has a heavy accent and compounded with the lousy connection it was nearly impossible to communicate clearly.

Anyway, our news could have been much worse with regards to loss of life and injuries. It appears that we may have lost one house and I have no news about the new orphanage we're building outside of town.

Thanks to all who have sent emails and private messages or who have made donations or have been mindful of us in other ways. We are grateful to be in the thoughts and prayers of such wonderful friends.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

The Rev. Pat Robertson, on his CBN broadcast today, offered his own explanation of the earthquake in Haiti:
"Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it," he said. "They were under the heel of the French ... and they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, 'We will serve you if you'll get us free from the French.'
"True story. And the devil said, 'OK, it's a deal,'" Robertson said. "Ever since, they have been cursed by one thing after another."
This kind of tragedy brings out the best and worst. Somebody I know said Haiti is being punished by God for voodoo.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Dale wrote:
This kind of tragedy brings out the best and worst. Somebody I know said Haiti is being punished by God for voodoo.
Robertson's great consistency is that he always blames the victims, and then asks his supporters for more money. I understand he has saved our region, SE Virginia, from several major natural disasters.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

All the best from me, Doc, for the excellent work you're doing. You positively put me to shame, old chap, sitting here as I do prattling on about this, that and the other. :cry:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Dale wrote:
Aside from his cockeyed theology, one does have to wonder where this guy gets his history.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I spend more time wondering how it is that morons like that get TV shows, and attract millions of followers in my enlightened nation. But alas, the Proctology Cafe has been closed, so we'll return to the discussion in progress. It's looking grim, indeed.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

jsluder wrote:I've got a cousin who's currently living in Haiti with his girlfriend. (She works for the UN doing ongoing relief work there.) His parents were frantic until they heard from him this morning. He and his girlfriend are both okay, though it took him a while to find her after the quake hit. I'm sure they're now very busy trying to help others. What a nightmare.
Sorry for quoting myself, but I just thought I'd follow up with more recent news about my cousin and his girlfriend.

Man with local ties survives earthquake

Sounds like they'll be helping out there for awhile.

(Chad's mother is my 1st cousin, so I guess that makes him my 1st cousin once removed. At least, I think that's right...)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Denny

Post by Denny »

he is not that ugly, what happened?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Denny wrote:he is not that ugly, what happened?
He's my cousin, not my son. :poke:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Denny

Post by Denny »

genetics are interesting ain't they!

I could make a case for neither of my
parents being allowed to breed.....
too late to matter though :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.