So cold here . . .

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lambchop
antispam: No

So cold here . . .

Post by Lambchop »

OK, it's unseasonably cold here. And how do we know? Iguanas are dropping out of the trees.

Here's some LOCAL NEWS for you to enjoy.
Last edited by Lambchop on Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Denny

Re: So cold here . . .

Post by Denny »

:really:
Lambchop wrote:OK, it's unseasonably cold here. And how do we know? Iguanas are dropping out of the trees.

Here's some LOCAL NEWS for you to enjoy.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

A relative drove up from Florida. He had a tune up before leaving and told the mechanic not to fill the wiper fluid. The mechanic did any way and it wasn't until he went to add the winter version that he had found that he had a solid chunk of ice in the reservoir. Fortunately there wasn't much slush at the time, or he would have had to pull over every several miles to manually wash the windows.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
dwest

Post by dwest »

They're still edible after they fall, Iguana en pinol with bacon! :pint:
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
dwest

Post by dwest »

That's why I hate leopard seals, photo hogs! And in front of royalty no less!
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

I.D.10-t wrote:A relative drove up from Florida. He had a tune up before leaving and told the mechanic not to fill the wiper fluid. The mechanic did any way and it wasn't until he went to add the winter version that he had found that he had a solid chunk of ice in the reservoir. Fortunately there wasn't much slush at the time, or he would have had to pull over every several miles to manually wash the windows.
Do they just fill the washer reservoir with plain water in Florida? If it's warm enough to form slush on the road and need washers, I'm surprised that it would be cold enough to keep the fluid frozen. I guess we only get the "winter" version of wiper fluid. And we don't need washers in winter: slush is limited to the transitional seasons of freeze-up and break-up. The proper order of things is for snow to start falling in early October and stay frozen on the ground until it starts to melt in April. I feel sorry for all the people who have to live in places where the snow keeps melting all winter long, and it's dirty and ugly by all the roads. Here we have a lovely white blanket lining the roadsides, and it's only ugly when it starts to melt in the spring and reveals all the garbage that's flown out of the back of people's trucks all winter.

I do find it somewhat amusing to read southerners' complaints about "cold." Here in interior Alaska, NORMAL daily high temperatures for this time of year (mid-January) are -1 F, and normal daily lows are about -20 F. (Yes, that is all below zero Fahrenheit.) I just have to remind myself that, for the people who live so far south that it gets dark at night even in the summer :wink: , +20 F feels to them like -40 feels to us. (Trivia that all far northerners know: -40 is the temp at which you don't have to say "F" or "C", because it's the same on both Fahrenheit and Celsius scales.)

I don't enjoy cold snaps in January either, so I have sympathy for all those enduring one now. Luckily (let me knock wood) we aren't having a cold snap right now; in fact, it's delightfully warm today (+5 F official temp as I write this, and a balmy +20 F up on the hill where I live). And we're already up to nearly 4.5 hours between sunrise and sunset, which is a noticeable gain over the shortest days. We DO need lots more snow, though.
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I'm coming to Florida in a couple of weeks, I really hope it warms up by then!
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

HDSarah wrote:Do they just fill the washer reservoir with plain water in Florida?
No, it seems that it is specially developed for removing mosquito splats.

The relatives forgot about the daylight schedule too. Not as bad as yours, but they noticed it.

We got a hard freeze last week and there was no slush.

I am looking forward to the heat wave next week.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I.D.10-t wrote:
HDSarah wrote:Do they just fill the washer reservoir with plain water in Florida?
No, it seems that it is specially developed for removing mosquito splats.

We can use plain water, yes, but it isn't recommended. It clogs the nozzles. It doesn't work very well, either. It just smears the bug juice.

If they even sell de-icing varieties here, I've never seen them. Usually, you find only plain methyl alcohol (the blue stuff for 69 cents) and premium debugging brands like my favorite, Rain-X, which is only effective to 32 dF. Rain just flies off and, I think, bugs don't adhere as tightly.

Cotelette d'Agneau
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

It should not be called a De-Icer, but this is what we use now. (if you have ice on your window, you shouldn't be driving)
It is only good down to -25F, but at that point there is no slush and it is not needed because there is no slush being kicked up. (Below 0 F salt doesn't work to melt snow on roads)
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

That seal must be a close relative of crasher squirrell.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis