Irish Winter

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Irish Winter

Post by PJ »

I hear it's unusually cold in Ireland these past weeks and that temperatures dropped to 15 below (celcius) last weekend. I'm interested to know if pipers in Ireland are experiencing problems with their pipes due to the unusually cold weather the country is experiencing (reeds cracking, loose mounts and ferrules, etc.).
PJ
Podge

Re: Irish Winter

Post by Podge »

New Years Eve I was playing in the Cobblestone. Everything loosened up. Had to place extra hemp on the drones & regs (both where they enter the stock and tuning slides, reg ends, etc. The stock fell out of the bag at one stage. All joints had contracted due to the cold / lack of humidity. I must remember to remove the extra hemp before the weather gets better in case it ends up cracking anything.

My 10 year old reed is not feeling the best either so I have temporarily swapped it for two others I play from time to time.
CelticMusicLover

Post by CelticMusicLover »

PJ wrote:I hear it's unusually cold in Ireland these past weeks and that temperatures dropped to 15 below (celcius) last weekend. I'm interested to know if pipers in Ireland are experiencing problems with their pipes due to the unusually cold weather the country is experiencing (reeds cracking, loose mounts and ferrules, etc.).
They should be glad they're not here; I have -30 degrees Celsius/-22 degrees Fahrenheit outside right now (I live in northern Sweden) :P I'm glad my reed was made for this cliamte. I'd be screwed otherwise :lol:
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

If you have trouble with your pipes in freezing weather, leave a trickle of cold water running overnight. Moving water won't freeze.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Brazenkane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Brazenkane »

I had no problems over Christmas and New Years.

Finland was -30C+

ouch
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

It only got down to minus 5 here in Kerry,but it was OK as I only play my pipes indoors where its warm .

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

If you have trouble with your pipes in freezing weather, leave a trickle of cold water running overnight. Moving water won't freeze.
Not good for the wood and will definately wreck the reeds :D
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

The biggest problem I find with my pipes in winters is not the cold because my pipes rarely leave my house in winter. The biggest problem is dry air caused by the central heating. However, controlling the humidity isn't really a problem. Someone (Pat Sky?) once suggested keeping half an apple in the pipes case. I find that this works for me.

The other thing that helps is not fiddling with the reeds too much. When they're dry, they're more prone to cracking. When the weather improves, so will the reeds. I have to live with certain notes being out but as I don't play out during the winter no one else has to suffer!!
PJ