More movie whistling...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Blazer
antispam: No

More movie whistling...

Post by Blazer »

I just saw Sherlock Holmes which was a quite entertaining action film with great special effects. Of course it took place in London around the late 1800s... strange to be using traditional Irish music with some whistling... a fellow singing a jig along with a whistle.
swingsintherain
Location: an hour north or south of Minneapolis, MN depending on the month

Re: More movie whistling...

Post by swingsintherain »

I noticed that too! (both the whistle, and the oddness of it being ITM in England). I think perhaps people not native to the UK(including myself up until about a year ago) tend to just lump all of Ireland, England, Scotland, etc together when it comes to music, seeing as it's all kind of the same geographical location.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Is it Irish music in the movie? Pennywhistles were common in London, too. Just ask Whistling Billy. As were jigs, I imagine. Not that movies are, like, you know, accurate necessarily.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

MTGuru wrote:Pennywhistles were common in London, too. Just ask Whistling Billy.
Whistling Billy could often be heard playing his penny whistle whilst riding a penny farthing to the shops to buy a penny dreadful. The expression "penny for the guy" was originally a request for passers by to provide a whistle rather than a coin. Girls were christened Penny not because they were cheap, but tall and thin.
chris_coreline
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by chris_coreline »

hoopy mike wrote:
MTGuru wrote:Pennywhistles were common in London, too. Just ask Whistling Billy.
Whistling Billy could often be heard playing his penny whistle whilst riding a penny farthing to the shops to buy a penny dreadful. The expression "penny for the guy" was originally a request for passers by to provide a whistle rather than a coin. Girls were christened Penny not because they were cheap, but tall and thin.
Infact 'Penny' is derived from the middle English word 'Pfennel' which its self was derived from the Norman word for whistle
K.D. Coyote S.G.

Post by K.D. Coyote S.G. »

The tune/song was Rocky Road to Dublin. I watched the credits to make sure. Good movie imp.
The crunchy bits are the best
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

the credits listed Rocky Road to Dublin performed by the Dubliners.

according to the director.... the songs were included as a tribute to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Irish Heritage. His father was Scottish.... but his mother was Mary Foley and from Ireland. Hence the veiled tribute to Sir Arthur.

be well,

jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

MTGuru wrote:Is it Irish music in the movie? Pennywhistles were common in London, too. Just ask Whistling Billy. As were jigs, I imagine.
Absolutely. Will Kempe's Jig is still played (it's in the Bill Ochs tutor, for example) and Kempe's other claim to fame was his membership in Shakespeare's company of players. He died in 1603. He's also remembered for dancing his jig from London to Norwich. English traditional music doesn't have many reels (which is why the Stradling Brothers' Old Swan Band called their first record "No Reels" to assert it's englishness) but there's no shortage of jigs.

Kemp danced to his own pipe-and-tabor accompaniment, and that's close enough to whistle. In fact, I own a Generation tabor pipe, which is a standard D whistle with the holes in different places.

Don't forget that the Clarke whistle was the invention of an englishman, and has always been made in England, not Ireland.

Edited: a slip jig might be more irish than english, and Rocky Road.. in particular is pretty closely associated with Ireland. However, there's been a substantial Irish population resident in London for centuries; particularly so after the famine years of the 1850s. It's likely that London was the world's second or third largest Irish city (after New York & Dublin, perhaps) at the time
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

London was and is stuffed with Irish people, so it wouldn't have been in the least unusual hearing ITM any more than hearing Banghra in the streets now.
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

"The Secret of Roan Inish" (my fav) is full of nice ITM and whistle tunes as well as "Far and Away" with Tom Cruise, "Waking Ned Devine", "Matchmaker"(Janeane Garofalo), "Rob Roy", "Bravehart", "Titanic" and dozens of others!

Any favorites?
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I thought the music went fine with the movie. For those of you who haven't seen it, it's in the context of a barenuckle boxing scene (wouldn't be a Guy Ritchie movie without one). Makes sense enough.
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

Seachd, The Inaccessible Pinnacle http://www.seachd.com/
just a wonderful movie with great music, incredible scenery... most of it in gaelic though but has english subtitles, loved it. Soundtrack can be heard via the musicplayer on the top of the page, unfortunately no Soundtrack-CD out yet....

Happy New Year all :party:
Brigitte

P.S. on 06.01. I just ordered another copy from Amazon.co.uk as our one - which was on loan, stays permanently now with the person. www.amazon.co.uk offers the movie-DVD for a little over 8 GBP at the moment, incredibly little so thought I mention this in case someone might be interested in it...
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
m31

Post by m31 »

Brigitte wrote:Seachd, The Inaccessible Pinnacle http://www.seachd.com/
just a wonderful movie with great music, incredible scenery... most of it in gaelic though but has english subtitles, loved it. Soundtrack can be heard via the musicplayer on the top of the page, unfortunately no Soundtrack-CD out yet....

Happy New Year all :party:
Brigitte

P.S. on 06.01. I just ordered another copy from Amazon.co.uk as our one - which was on loan, stays permanently now with the person. http://www.amazon.co.uk offers the movie-DVD for a little over 8 GBP at the moment, incredibly little so thought I mention this in case someone might be interested in it...
Couldn't resist reviving this thread. Just finished watching this and I completely agree with Brigitte. If you liked the Secret of Roan Inish, you'll like this one too.

Get a sample of the music here:
http://www.inaccessiblepinnacle.com/pag ... track.html
Bill Hennessy

Post by Bill Hennessy »

Thomas-Hastay wrote:"The Secret of Roan Inish" (my fav) is full of nice ITM and whistle tunes as well as "Far and Away" with Tom Cruise, "Waking Ned Devine", "Matchmaker"(Janeane Garofalo), "Rob Roy", "Bravehart", "Titanic" and dozens of others!

Any favorites?
Not to mention "The Boys and the Girl from County Clare" with none other than Andrea Corr. A terrific movie.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Oh, I think I misread the premise of the OP as: movies which depict whistle players playing on-screen in the film, not just soundtrack music which includes the sound of a whistle in the score. The latter seems ubiquitous nowadays; the former not so much. Maybe I misunderstood.

I don't recall actually seeing whistles whistling in most of the films mentioned that I've seen. Yes, in Boys (and Girl) from County Clare, I think. But only briefly, and not by Andrea. :sniff:

Seachd looks interesting, in its genre. Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.