OT: My city is pants

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

Two inches of snow, and London virtually grinds to a halt. Tube Stations closed (3 out of the 4 within a mile of my house), people stuck in their cars on the M11 motorway for over 12 hours, half the office staff don't turn up for work because they can't make the super-dangerous journey in their cars.

I nominate London for the "Most Pathetic City of January 2003" Award.
pixyy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

And a well deserved title it would be.
I was on the phone with a collegue in London this morning, and it all sounded "most dreadfully aweful and bothersome at the same time"

Then again, having a day off at the end of the week is not all that bad.
Making snowmen in the garden :smile:

By the way Martin, congratulations on your upcoming 1000 posts milestone!
TomB

Post by TomB »

Martin- Your post brings back memories. While in the Navy I was stationed in London in the early 80's. I remember what things were like when there was a bit of snow. Very messy, but the extra day off was always a welcome surprise.

I used to live and work in the Washington D.C. area not long ago. Three of four inches of snow can really affect that area as well.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Hah! That's nothing! Here in the DFW area when someone spits on the sidewalk and it freezes there are at least a dozen car wrecks and the entire metroplex grinds to a complete halt!

Everything's bigger in Texas, ya know, including driver stupidity!

John
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

It wasn't the visible snow that worried me in Britain. It was the invisible black ice that you became aware of *after* your motorcycle failed to take that perfectly safe looking bend.

BTW, do the natives still favour mopeds? Almost as cool as those three-wheeler invalid cars. It was not enough just to have a disability. Your reward was to get a vehicle that was not only humiliating but also completely unsafe.
Snuh

Post by Snuh »

Even a foot of snow won't stop people around here. Even though it should. I remember when I worked at a gas station, everytime it snowed the number of police going through the station would triple. On their way from one accident to the next until the highway was inevitably closed.

Luckily it gets better as the season progresses and people remember how to drive in the snow again.

A.J.
MacEachain

Post by MacEachain »

The thing that really winds me up is when we get 1/2" of snow and the temperature drops to around freezing, people set off to work without de-icing the windscreen properly, drive like they're on a race track in the middle of summer, inevitibly crash, and then blame the roads service for not clearing the roads :mad:

Cheers, Mac
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Please excuse me, Martin, but what does the phrase, "My city is pants" mean?
Mike
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

What bothers me about driving in the snow is the idiots in 4x4 vehicles who gain a false sense of security because of their enhanced capability for forward motion, which encourages them to go full speed ahead without regard to the conditions of reduced traction. Unfortunately, they may not take into account the fact that when they need to arrest forward motion by applying the brakes, their vehicles are no more responsive to this procedure than their humble non-4x4 brethren.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

On 2003-01-31 11:22, burnsbyrne wrote:
Please excuse me, Martin, but what does the phrase, "My city is pants" mean?
Mike
Hi Burnsey,

I wondered if that might confuse - but I love using obscure British slang!

In Britain we call pants trousers, and underpants (shorts?) are called pants (for short). Golly, now I'm confused. So in a roundabout way my city is a pair of underpants, i.e. a load of rubbish.

I forget who first coined the expression. It's very childish, and hence very funny (to me)
"Your bicycle is pants"
"No, your skateboard is pants"
"Your bicycle is pantsier than my skateboard"
"No it isn't, your skateboard is double pants with skidmarks"

etc etc.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

On 2003-01-31 08:59, OutOfBreath wrote:

Everything's bigger in Texas, ya know, including driver stupidity!
My sister drove down to the DFW area not too long ago. The driving, out there, rather traumatized her.
Reasonable person
Walden
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

We've had 101 inches of snow in 2003. Yesterday was the first day with no snowfall. (Good thing, considering my passenger side mirror has left a hole in the side of my car since Tuesday night.) Today we are very excited to possibly reach 33 degrees for the first time in a very long time.

Yet...nothing has closed, except possibly a pre-kindergarten day care last week sometime.
Steven

Post by Steven »

The thing that gets me around here is that every time snow is predicted, thousands of people, knowing full well that the roads will be cleared by morning, rush out to the stores and buy at least a month's worth of bread, milk, and eggs. Who the heck needs that much French toast anyway??!!!

:razz:
Steven

(Wasn't it P.T. Barnum who said "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public"?)
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Martin,
Thanks for the translation. It sounds very logical now that I know the origin. I think you-all on that side of the pond are more versed in N American slang than we are in British slang because of the influence of American movies and TV. However, I have picked up "brilliant" from watching Premier League football on the telly.
Mike
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Martin, thanks for the translation and.. background.

I feel smarter to-night. I learnt why London is pants... with skidmarks. :lol: