Can anyone tell me about 'Nicholson' model of flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
curleywurley
antispam: No

Can anyone tell me about 'Nicholson' model of flutes?

Post by curleywurley »

I'm interested in purchasing a flute that has been offered to me. It is made by Patrick Olwell and it is based on the 'nicholson' model - I am not familiar with this . How does it compare to a Prattan or a Rudell? Thanks for any replies,

Curleywurley
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Can anyone tell me about 'Nicholson' model of flutes?

Post by Jon C. »

As far as I could tell, it is the same as his Pratten, as far as the bore, but smaller tone holes.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I think I recall seeing a piece of paper from Patrick Olwell describing the Nicholson as sort of "in between" a Pratten and a Rudall. My Olwell Pratten had bigger toneholes and a big old honking sound. It could take a lot of air, though it didn't need it. My present Olwell Nicholson has markedly smaller toneholes which are actually spaced a little closer together (particularly on the right hand, where they're a bit more "upstream" from the foot end). Like Jon said, I don't know if the bore profile is any different, ALTHOUGH I have gotten my cleaning swab stuck in the Nicholson foot with more regularity which makes me wonder if there's a more dramatic taper from head to foot.

It prefers much less air than the Pratten will take, and lets you know if you're overfilling it by kind of going a little "dead." However, a nice light airstream and not too much lip pressure and the thing just sings in a surprisingly big loud voice. A phenomenal flute, really -- suits me better than the Pratten overall, I think. If you can get a fair price on it you'll probably be very happy with it. Mine's a terrific all-around flute.

I've not played one of Patrick's Rudalls but the Murray I have is, I'm told, a variant of a Rudall and has a smaller, more slender bore, and (oddly!) bigger toneholes, particularly on the right hand, than the Olwell Nicholson.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

I have a keyless Olwell Nicholson and it's a fine fine flute.
You'll feel the same, I'm sure.
jtrout
Tell us something.: I play ITM on flute and whistle and enjoy the the topics on both forums. Much more civil and germaine that The Session.Org.

Post by jtrout »

Buy it!!!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yes, unless the price is crazy, it will be a great flute.
The headjoint fits the Pratten body, and so you can get a Pratten
body too, if ever you really want one.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

buy it
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Buy it

or give US the fone number!!!!

Boyd

....nobody said this would be easy......

Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

oh ya, Buy it! :D
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

I have an Olwell Pratten and an Olwell Nicholson, both are superb. The Pratten is slightly more powerful, but you get a focused tone out of the Nicholson like you wouldn't believe. You can't go wrong there....

I've had several players trying to swipe that Nicholson from me...;-)
Jay
Tell us something.: Hello, I make flutes for Irish traditional music. Three models in D (Large and small Rudalls and a Pratten), a Boosey Eb, and a Rudall Bb.

Post by Jay »

Blackwood wrote:I have an Olwell Pratten and an Olwell Nicholson, both are superb. The Pratten is slightly more powerful, but you get a focused tone out of the Nicholson like you wouldn't believe. You can't go wrong there....

I've had several players trying to swipe that Nicholson from me...;-)
You better check the case and make sure it's still inside... :poke: 'tis a nice playing flute.
Maker of wooden flutes for Irish traditional music. www.woodenflutes.com