buying a flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
O'Croatian :)
antispam: No

buying a flute

Post by O'Croatian :) »

I am planning to buy keyless flute for 350 E, can I have any suggestion about that purchase...

greetings from croatia
maracirac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: buying a flute

Post by maracirac »

m&e will be good choice as starter flute.( and maker is situated in europe )
it is made of plastic so you don't need to worry for maintence. it is rudall and rose type.i posses one with 4 keys as my second flute.
you could also take look on rob forbes flutes, also plastic (delrin), pratten style.maker is situated in usa. prices of both flutes are under 350 euros.
marin
Akiba
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Makers in EU that I know of with flutes in your price range:
***Phil Bleazey***
Fred Rose

Both excellent flutes from what I hear.

Jason

PS--just remembered Bleazey and Rose are in UK, thus Pounds instead of Euros, ie a little out of your price range.
dwilbur3

Post by dwilbur3 »

Akiba wrote:Makers in EU that I know of with flutes in your price range:
***Phil Bleazey***
Fred Rose

Both excellent flutes from what I hear.

Jason
The Bleazy looks a bit high for his price range at 370 Pounds (about 415 Euros). But it receives excellent reviews here.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Many in your situation choose to buy a Tipple flute now, and play that for a couple of years while saving for a conical wood or delrin flute. See Doug Tipple's site at: http://dougsflutes.googlepages.com/
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
scheky

Post by scheky »

For the Delrins (I have a wood allergy)..I've had both old and new style M&E, Seery Pratten and I'm currently playing a Rob Forbes Pratten.

Of the three, I like the Forbes best from personal experience. I think the M&E was the easiest to get tone from, but weighed a ton. The Seery was solid from the get-go, but was harder to get a good sound from (as a beginner). The Forbes is actually quite light and almost as easy as the M&E to get a nice sound from.

This is all from the perspective of a beginner. I'm NOWHERE near the playing quality of 90% of the board here.
FromFlanders

Post by FromFlanders »

I saw Phil Bleazey's stall at the Early Music Festival in Greenwich on Sunday. He had quite a selection of D flutes; in severaI colours of wood, ~I heard a customer playing one ( it looked like mopane colour but could have been something else I am not the expert from a 6 foot distance)and it sounded really , and I mean really , good. He also had a 6 keyed flute in blackwood with rather unusual shaped key touches, very handsome and stylish. I'd be very tempted by these if I were not happily "in a relationship" with my Lejeune.
FF
hydromel89

Post by hydromel89 »

Phil Bleazey makes indeed good flutes, as far far as I can judge, with very warm tone.
They are very easy to blow, have short stretch and small holes that make air leaks unlikely to occur. Very forgiving flutes... at least for me...
I would say that they are not very loud though, although some friend of mine, MUCH more experienced, can get a stronger tone than me out of my flute.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I got a lovely honking sound out of a boxwood Bleazey a friend has...I think they're much like McGee's GLP - small holes but good volume. I was surprised it could play that loudly. Very nice flute.

Also, I'd look at M&E's newer ebonite flutes - the keyless one it within your price range, and I can't say enough good things about my ebonite M&E.

Eric