Four D Piccolos

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Four D Piccolos

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I have purchased a couple of piccolos recently, so I thought that I would show a group of four different piccolos in D and give my feedback. You can click on the thumbnail for a larger format photo. The top piccolo is my own. It has a larger bore (15mm dia.) than others in the group. It is the loudest flute in the group, but it becomes very shrill and difficult to play in the upper part of the second octave. My lawyer has advised me not to sell this unless I take out liability insurance first.

The black pvc piccolo with lip plate was made by Jem Hammond in Wales. The bore diameter is 12.4 mm. This piccolo is a very good player, in tune and with a balanced tone, not too shrill. You can order these from Jem.

The wooden piccolo was made by Kevin Jones in California. It was made from purpleheart wood and has brass rings, a brass tuning tenon, and a delrin stopper and endcap. The piccolo has a slight taper in the bore 12-13 mm. It is easy to blow, is in tune throughout two octaves, is not too shrill, and is fun to play.

The keyed piccolo is a Chinese Venus brand sold on ebay for $110 including shipping. I bought it as a birthday present to myself. With a bore of only 11mm I find that this piccolo is harder for me to blow (greater blowing resistance). I like the fact that it is not very loud. I expect that I will become more accustomed to playing it as time goes by.
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Four D Piccolos

Post by Sillydill »

Here’s a pile of Piccolos:

Bottom to Top:

Sweet Eb – Sweet by name and tone, I rather like this one. Shame they no longer make these.

Jem’s – It’s a Gem. Good intonation, lots of power and a fairly pleasant tone.

Healy – Easiest to control with the broadest dynamic range, my main little squeeze.

Sweet WD – Delrin, very good for ITM (good intonation and a punchy player).

Old Aulos – It’s OK, but I don’t like the double holes.

Angel (Boehm) – I like to play this one in the key of C (top and back hole taped up). Rather nice for the money.

Angel (conical) – How do ya like the cool mint green? I like this better than the Yamahas, plays about the same, but the ergonomics are better.

Yamaha – Standard, it’s OK, nothing to write home about.

Yamaha – Modified to play F# and Cnat (OXX OOO), still don’t particularly care for the tone.

WindSong Bamboo – It’s OK, all the tone holes are the same size. I filled in the top one a bit to get a better Cnat.

Acorn – I wanted to see how small of an embouchure I could play. This makes it a rather sweet and quiet player. You have to cut off about 5mm by the head to get these to play in tune.

CPVC – Good for watering the garden.

Copper – Useful as a tent stake.
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Another big pic and info at this Post if you're interested.

Bought yet another one the other day, too, by French maker Thibouville. :party:
tin tin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

This is like an arms race. Quite terrifying.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

My ears are ringing terribly just looking at these pictures :shock: . The pain, the pain...
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

Au Contraire Mon Ame!

Here is a clip of Hatao on a Hammy Piccolo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovGkc8y7 ... re=channel
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Tintin wrote:This is like an arms race. Quite terrifying.
My thoughts too. Please let someone have a stockpile bigger than Kevin's stockpile so that detente can occur.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Denny

Post by Denny »

you know they're gonna start draggin' out bigger an' bigger uns :shock:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Denny wrote:you know they're gonna start draggin' out bigger an' bigger uns :shock:
Stockpiles or flutes?

Anyone for Bb band flutes?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

jemtheflute wrote:
Denny wrote:you know they're gonna start draggin' out bigger an' bigger uns :shock:
Stockpiles or flutes?

Anyone for Bb band flutes?
I'll start the MADness:

From bottom: IMPROVED, Geo Cloos, Nach Meyer, head of job by some Belfast maker, couldn't find the body at the time.

Bought that Thibouville picc too. Nice stick - cork pads, rather unusual but they work.

Is this the Pics of Your...Wee Flute then? :shock:
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Could someone please install a piccolo in the non-business end of these for when the battle dies down? Kind of like of walking stick flute for warriors?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

You know, they let you bring your musical instruments onto carry on, I wonder if a fife/halberd would qualify with the TSA? Then again if you can hit high B in an enclosed space with a fife, who would need the blade?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
dwilbur3

Post by dwilbur3 »

Who needs a halberd? I can drop a charging lion at 20 paces with my high g whistle!
yillbrillem

Post by yillbrillem »

Hey guys, sorry I've been away....

Doug, I want to say thanks. You always provide good and valuable info. (even on the variables of bamboo flutes!)

Sillydill, you are one dedicated picco-loco. I like #3. The Windsong bamboo interestingly, is by a guy named Rob Yard, who taught both Olwell and I bamboo flute making way back in the early 80's (in the what may substitute for my 60's hippy daze). Rob doesn't play ITM . He still makes some nice flutes though.

Kevin... scary, thats all I have to say.

mutepointe.... scarier! Maybe we should call you mutepointy?

dwilbur.... I don't need my arms or legs, just give me my noseflute!

Cheers, Billy
Chinese proverb: “If thy neighbour offends thee, give his children gifts of drums.”

www.windwoodflutes.com