Kerry pro and Overton

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
crickett
antispam: No

Kerry pro and Overton

Post by crickett »

In the Low-D section of the C&F website, Dale says that the K-pro and the Overton are "two virtually identical and OUTSTANDING instruments," and that side by side you would be hard pressed to find any differences.

My question is do other people who have played both these whistles have a similar assessment? Is there really no difference in sound, tone, volume, etc. between these whistles. Does the K-pro have the same haunting, cosmic drain-pipe characteristics as the Overton?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Kerry pro and Overton

Post by Bloomfield »

crickett wrote: My question is do other people who have played both these whistles have a similar assessment? Is there really no difference in sound, tone, volume, etc. between these whistles. Does the K-pro have the same haunting, cosmic drain-pipe characteristics as the Overton?
The maker of Kerry Pros was at one point taught and licensed by Bernard Overton to make Overton whistles. The license was then revoked by Bernard Overton. But the maker of Kerry Pros continued to make Overton whistles, and simply called them "Kerry Pros." He also added new ranges of whistles he designed himself (like the Kerrys and Chieftains).
/Bloomfield
A-Musing
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by A-Musing »

I have a 9 or 10-year old Kerry Pro Low D...which has a quiet, cosmic, mellow first octave...but which goes discouragingly too flat in the second. (Trust me...it'd take a stick of dynamite to get it there...)

In more recent times, I"ve acquired a B. Overton nontunable Low Eb. It sings like a dream, and handles like a sports car. A superior whistle in every way.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
arnie

Post by arnie »

deleted
Last edited by arnie on Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joram

Post by Joram »

Kerry's and Chieftains aren't hand-made, but I believe the Kerry Pro's are (or were, I don't think he makes them anymore).
usfenderfsdlx

Post by usfenderfsdlx »

This is an old topic, but I'm bumping this. I need to know more here. Anyone have experience with NEW Kerry Pro's vs. NEW Goldie-Overtons (now simply Goldie). I'm a college student, so the much lower price of the tunable Kerry Pro is VERY attractive to me, but if the Goldie is really superior, then I want to do the wise thing and save up for a whistle I won't have to replace. The tone and volume will undoubtedly be similar--just look at those headpieces. I think the real question is the quality of the tuning joint (cork material on K-Pro's vs. tape on Overtons) and intonation. Who can offer a word here?
arnie

Post by arnie »

Kerry and Chieftain are from the same makers and NOT handmade. Goldie whistles are the new names for Overton whistles, and they ARE handmade. I know the very precise work that's done with every Goldie whistle (Colin told me it took him 14 hours per whistle). Colin finetunes every hole from the inside and smoothens them from the outside. I prefer this craftmanship in a whistle, it gives it 'soul', and if I had the money....
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

arnie wrote:Kerry and Chieftain are from the same makers and NOT handmade. Goldie whistles are the new names for Overton whistles, and they ARE handmade. I know the very precise work that's done with every Goldie whistle (Colin told me it took him 14 hours per whistle). Colin finetunes every hole from the inside and smoothens them from the outside. I prefer this craftmanship in a whistle, it gives it 'soul', and if I had the money....
I can see why there would be some confusion on this but the Kerry Pro low D and the Kerry low D whistle are two different animals. And again not at all like the Chieftain designs either. The first picture being the "Kerry Pro" and the second being the "Kerry".

The Kerry Pro is said to be handmade by Phil Hardy and they are fairly uncommon. I am not a good source for a comparison on the Kerry Pro vs the Goldie as I have never owned a Kerry Pro (although I have played one). Since it's been such a long time since I had an Overton low D to compare it to I'd not feel comfortable giving a comparison.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Hm, I thought the Kerry Pro is no longer being made. And the few places (e.g. Hobgoblin) that still list it for sale have it at 236 Euros - which is actually more than the Goldie tunable low D at 216 Euros (before VAT).
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

MTGuru wrote:Hm, I thought the Kerry Pro is no longer being made. And the few places (e.g. Hobgoblin) that still list it for sale have it at 236 Euros - which is actually more than the Goldie tunable low D at 216 Euros (before VAT).
Well, that's true in part. I think I saw an announcement on the news page at Phil's site about a new batch recently completed. So Phil is apparently still making the Pro model in small numbers. I played one about a year back that was brand spanking new at that time. I had thought they were not available any more as well. Again, I am not trying to present an opinion on the whistles in question.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Mick Down Under
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Mick Down Under »

I admit to being biased, but I still say go the Goldie. Don't waste your money on that other one. :D .

Mick
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
usfenderfsdlx

Post by usfenderfsdlx »

There are some OK responses here, but I am still looking for an honest comparison of the two. :thumbsup:
shoner

Post by shoner »

You're not going to get the answer you're looking for. There is actually a distinct range of variability within each of these whistles. Not all Goldie low Ds sound exactly alike and likewise neither do the KerryPros. Both are exceptionally fine whistles and either will work well for you. That said, I've had both and preferred the one KerryPro I had because it spoke quicker than the Overton (Goldie). Don't over think it. Just play the one you get a lot and everything will work out just fine. Oh yeah, the sound between the two is similar, probably more so than any two other whistles.
Denny

Post by Denny »

there's been a lot of water over the bridge on this one, here at C&F

If ya tell Goldie what you want you'll get what he thought you said. :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »