Why do whistles whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
okewhistle

Why do whistles whistle?

Post by okewhistle »

I had an interesting conversation with a guy in a pub who asked me why it is that blowing into a tube with some holes in it makes a sound. I said I thought it was something to do with the breath being split into two streams by the fipple, travelling at different speeds and interfering with each other. Then I realised that I didn't know. Another guy at the bar, who said he was an accoustics expert, said it was all to do with reverse something or other, but he lost me about thirty seconds in.

Anyone out there know so next time I see them I can give the definitive answer?

Another thing. About 90% of the air comes out of the sound hole, so why does putting your fingers over the holes lower down change the pitch? :-?
chrisp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Why do whistles whistle?

Post by chrisp »

You then have to ask yourself, how do we whistle with our lips without a whistle :wink:
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

It's vibrations and waves.

Splitting the airstream makes the air in the column of the pipe resonate. You get the same effect by blowing over the top of an empty bottle. The size and shape of the bottle determines the note you get.

You can get resonance, and a note, by blowing over a blade of grass. There it is just the angle of the grass that determines the resonance and the sound wave.

In a whistle, the altered speed of the air causes the resonance, and the length of the resonating wave determines the note. The longer the wave, the lower the note. The longer the pipe, the lower the note. When you open one of the lower holes on a whistle, this allows some air to escape, and alters the length of the wave - and so alters the note being played.

So all musicians fly in the face of the advice "don't make waves". :twisted:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Innocent Bystander wrote: Splitting the airstream makes the air in the column of the pipe resonate. You get the same effect by blowing over the top of an empty bottle. The size and shape of the bottle determines the note you get.
The physics of resonance in a closed chamber, like a bottle, pan pipes, referee's whistle, or a boson's call, and of an open tube like a flute or whistle aren't the same thing at all, but splitting the column of air is something they have in common.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

True, they're not the same, but it does make an easy explanation in a pub. Practically everyone has blown across their beer bottle sometime, so the idea of getting a sound that way and changing the note by making the tube longer makes sense to most folks. Most of my drinking buddies don't go in for complicated physics after a pint or two. :D
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
OBrien
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by OBrien »

Here's how I understand it: The initial rush of air over the blade causes low pressure inside the whistle, which causes the airstream to flip to the inside of the whistle. This in turn causes lower pressure on the outside of the window, pulling the airstream out again. The is the Bernoulli effect which also causes lower pressure above an airplane's wing. The rate at which the airstream can flip back and forth is governed by the length of tube with closed holes (or the effective length in the case of cross-fingering). The longer the tube, the more difficult it is to flip the stream of air back and forth and the lower the frequency of the note.

You can see a physics slide show here that explains it nicely with some animation (except for calling the blade the fipple):
http://www.phys.unt.edu/~matteson/1251- ... t%20cetera
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Choices:
A. Physics
B. Magic
Take your pick.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

mutepointe wrote:Choices:
A. Physics
B. Magic
Take your pick.
don't see the difference meself
Denny

Post by Denny »

hans wrote:
mutepointe wrote:Choices:
A. Physics
B. Magic
Take your pick.
don't see the difference meself
if ya understand it :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Here's another way to think about it.

The splitting of the airstream by the blade sets up what's called a Karman Vortex Street, basically a fluid interference pattern. The vortices create alternating regions of high and low pressure above and below the blade. This has the effect of "flapping" the airstream up and down very rapidly - very much like the vibration of the reed in a reed instrument. In fact, this is often known as an "air reed."

By itself, the air reed generates a broad spectrum of different frequencies and harmonics - basically noise. But the whistle tube (really, the air column in the tube) then acts as a kind of resonant filter, and selects some of those noise frequencies to pass through while suppressing others. The particular way this happens depends on the length of the tube and its geometry - cylindrical or conical, closed-end or open-end.

And here's the magic ... The resonant tube also couples with the air reed in such a way as to "lock it in" to the same vibrational mode as the tube. This turns the air reed from a random noise generator into a particular pitch (plus harmonics) generator. This is what makes the whistle sound a specific note.

You can hear this effect for yourself. Remove the head from a Generation-type whistle, and blow gently. You hear a random whistling noise. Then, continue blowing while inserting the tube back into the head while fingering, say, a G note. As the tube seats into the head, you suddenly hear the whistling noise "snap" into a definite pitch.

This also explains the apparent paradox that most of the air comes out the fipple hole. Your breath supplies the air for the air reed and the energy to set it in motion. Once this happens, its work is done and it can exit the instrument. In fact, very little air goes into the tube; it's mostly the vibrational energy of the air reed that sets the static air column in motion.

For a description of the Karman Vortex Street, see Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%A1rm% ... tex_street

And for an excellent overview of wind instrument acoustics, see the pages at the USNW website: http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/woodwind.html
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Ahh, thank you, I forgot!

The Karmann on Vortex Street:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xICZEWSkuA

and here on Vortex Test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiBNtGSzrp4
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

When air runs across the fipple it initially creates a vacuum. Eventually, the vacuum will become great enough to pull the airstream down into the whistle. At this point, the whistle fills up with air until it is great enough to allow the stream to return to normal (shooting across). The length of bore affects the amount of time it takes to fill with air and deplete, it you do this 440 times per second, you have an "A" note. Filling and depleting air really fast becomes a tone. (Old sirens operated by chopping air at rates that are in the audible frequence spectrum.)

There are additional complexities that take place:. When overblowing, two pressure systems form, the lower pressure system can influence the upper pressure system by moving walls of vibrating air pressure. Thus all the weird cross fingerings occur, some are predictable and some are not.

Some whistle designs have special behavior that modifies the intake cycle and other modify the exhaust cycle which changes the quality of the instruments tone instead of a sine wave.

Some cars do the "subsonic fipple", you drive with one window down and feel your ears beating - your driving a subsonic whistle.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
markbell

Post by markbell »

Thanks, MTGuru,

I was hoping someone would post that wikipedia page with the animated illustration. I couldn't remember the name of the Karmann Vortex. I'd read a couple hundred explanations, and as soon as I saw the animation recently, suddenly, it all made sense!
sibilo ergo sum