100 things to do wrong starting the whistle.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
nickthepiedpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love Irish whistles and I make them and play them and at times I enjoy talking about them. I also play Uilleann pipes and love Celtic music in general.

Re: 100 things to do wrong starting the whistle.

Post by nickthepiedpiper »

Liam wrote:77. Use you whistle as a tipper for your bodhrán

--
Bill
Ha! I still have a high F that had a plastic mouth piece and it is completely rounded off! I got a drum without a tipper!
nickthepiedpiper
Tell us something.: I love Irish whistles and I make them and play them and at times I enjoy talking about them. I also play Uilleann pipes and love Celtic music in general.

Post by nickthepiedpiper »

83. fall asleep with your whistle and then step on it in the morning when you wake up (it really happened... I was playing that whistle for a couple years after with a big dent... still sounded ok)

84. use the detergent method to keep moisture from building up in your windway after developeing a habit of sucking it back into your mouth! ... not pleasant :boggle:
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

talasiga wrote: 82. Assume that you will only practice the whistle in your bedroom
and not have fun playing it in dells and groves and where
human yearnings echo alongside the thunder of crystal clear waterfalls .....
85. Only play your whistle where no-one, including yourself, can hear it through the ambient noise......
86. As a beginner, play your whistle where anyone (except perhaps your tutor) can hear you/it......
87. Pollute the peace of the countryside/natural environment with inane romantic noodlings..... ( :twisted: )
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
riverman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by riverman »

88. Fail to play "Many Meetings" from "The Lord of the Rings" outdoors.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

riverman wrote:Fail to play "Many Meetings" from "The Lord of the Rings" outdoors.
Is that #88, riverman?

If so:

89. Play anything from LOR, Titanic, Braveheart etc. EVER!!!!!!
Last edited by jemtheflute on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

jemtheflute wrote:89. Play anything from LOR, Titanic, Braveheart etc. EVER!!!!!!
But you're doomed anyway. A few years back I did a café open mike night. Played a nice trad set - Mullinavat, Gneevgullia, don't remember what else. The audience loved it. "Hey dude, that sounded great! Just like Lord of the Rings!" :lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

jemtheflute wrote:play anything from Titanic, EVER!!!!!!
I rather enjoy playing Drowsy Maggie, myself.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Dain wrote:5.1. Thinking that it's the whistle's fault, and not yours. :D
Thinking that its your fault because you own the faulty whistle.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Mick Down Under

Post by Mick Down Under »

90. Not putting in her place, the stupid bible bashing B!tch that puts you down for playing tunes of no religious value, on something that is, in their uneducated opinion, nothing more than a childs toy, as the only real instrument worthy of any attention is the guitar...The only worthy music, christian...Crap! This is an ongoing thing for me at work. This female really exists. I don't mean to offend the decent christians out there...You are so very few and far between.

Mick
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

Mick Down Under wrote:92. Not putting in her place, the stupid bible bashing B!tch that puts you down for playing tunes of no religious value, on something that is, in their uneducated opinion, nothing more than a childs toy, as the only real instrument worthy of any attention is the guitar...The only worthy music, christian...Crap! This is an ongoing thing for me at work. This female really exists. I don't mean to offend the decent christians out there...You are so very few and far between.
Ironically I'm involved with setting "Christian" words to some folk tunes, like Ned of the Hill. Another good mix is the words of "For the beauty of the earth" to the tune "Galway Bay" (email me if anyone would like a score or mp3).

The history of church music is an interesting one, with folk tunes being used as the melody for many old hymns (many hymns were originally poems or prayers for private devotional use rather than rousing sing-a-longs). So maybe you could suggest to your "stupid bible bashing B!tch" that she could write some words for you ;-)

And no, I'm not offended in the slightest. I think I've met her, or at least her sister, too.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Have I missed something here? We seem to have leapfrogged from #89 to #92??????? Mick Down Under, I think yours should be #90, not #92 - we are counting actual "things to do", not all the intervening commentary posts.
Can an ennumerator please check the tally? :D

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

91. Get hung up on details.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

benhall.1 wrote:97. Get hung up on details.
Pass the pepper, Duchess!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Liam
Tell us something.: Been playing Irish music for years, now I want to learn more about whistles to help teach my kids. Currently I play the Anglo Concertina and B/C accordion.

Post by Liam »

Mick Down Under wrote:92. Not putting in her place, the stupid bible bashing B!tch that puts you down for playing tunes of no religious value, on something that is, in their uneducated opinion, nothing more than a childs toy, as the only real instrument worthy of any attention is the guitar...The only worthy music, christian...Crap! This is an ongoing thing for me at work. This female really exists. I don't mean to offend the decent christians out there...You are so very few and far between.

Mick
Well, I think there are in fact a lot of decent Christians.. but like Bikers, the 5% make the 95% look bad. As for the the individual in question, here are some possible responses.

1. Go really old school on her... Claim that the guitar is a corruption in Christian Music and state that the only proper Christian music is.... Two options here.. 1. Organ Music. 2. Plain Chant (Gregorian, Eastern Orthodox, etc.).

2. Ask why she thinks God doesn't like other types of music?

3. If you play Irish Music, you could point out that since the Irish are closest to God of all the people on the Earth, that you know for a fact that God likes their music :)... I suppose others might make this claim about their country of origin..., but since my parents are both from Ireland, I am making it about Ireland :).

4. Ask her where in the Bible that a guitar is mentioned as being pleasing to God? The Bible lists many musical instruments, harps, trumpets are amongst the most prominent. But no guitars anywhere (it would have been impossible since they weren't invented until much later. Shouldn't a good Christian limit themselves to instruments listed in the Bible?

Personally, as someone who is a rather serious Catholic Christian (and I find it annoying that many Protestants have now made it a requirement that I add Christian to Catholic when Catholic alone should be enough to identify myself as a Christian), I find most guitar based Christian Music to be annoying drivel; most Christian music written in the last 40 years or so is barely worth listening too.. I am sure that is true of stuff written before then as well.. but mercifully its been filtered out by time :). Give me a full pipe organ playing a 100+ year old hymn and I am happy to listen to Christian Music. Otherwise, give me whistles, fiddles, concertinas, accordians and flutes and lets get a good ITM session going :).

--
Bill
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Liam wrote:

Mick
Well, I think there are in fact a lot of decent Christians.. but like Bikers, the 5% make the 95% look bad. As for the the individual in question, here are some possible responses.

1. Go really old school on her... Claim that the guitar is a corruption in Christian Music and state that the only proper Christian music is.... Two options here.. 1. Organ Music. 2. Plain Chant (Gregorian, Eastern Orthodox, etc.).

2. Ask why she thinks God doesn't like other types of music?

3. If you play Irish Music, you could point out that since the Irish are closest to God of all the people on the Earth, that you know for a fact that God likes their music :)... I suppose others might make this claim about their country of origin..., but since my parents are both from Ireland, I am making it about Ireland :).

4. Ask her where in the Bible that a guitar is mentioned as being pleasing to God? The Bible lists many musical instruments, harps, trumpets are amongst the most prominent. But no guitars anywhere (it would have been impossible since they weren't invented until much later. Shouldn't a good Christian limit themselves to instruments listed in the Bible?

Personally, as someone who is a rather serious Catholic Christian (and I find it annoying that many Protestants have now made it a requirement that I add Christian to Catholic when Catholic alone should be enough to identify myself as a Christian), I find most guitar based Christian Music to be annoying drivel; most Christian music written in the last 40 years or so is barely worth listening too.. I am sure that is true of stuff written before then as well.. but mercifully its been filtered out by time :). Give me a full pipe organ playing a 100+ year old hymn and I am happy to listen to Christian Music. Otherwise, give me whistles, fiddles, concertinas, accordians and flutes and lets get a good ITM session going :).

--
Bill
[pedantic mode] Technically every baptised Christian is a member of the Catholic Church of Christ - it is only the label in the front that modifies it - Protestant, Roman, Greek Orthodox etc[/pedantic mode]

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps