Baseball

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Baseball

Post by Dale »

Don't you think they ought to do something to the rules of Major League Baseball so it's not SO MUCH a pitcher v. batter game? It's really a great game when someone hits the ball. But when it's just so much of a pitcher's game it's dull, especially in the park. I mean, it's one thing to watch it on TV so commentators and instant replay and gee-whiz graphics can explain what happened with that last pitch. But, in the park, you can't really SEE those things.

I don't know. Maybe move the mound back? Make the ball bigger? Something to shift a little power from the pitcher to the batter?
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Re: Baseball

Post by fearfaoin »

They should make everyone wear knickerbockers again.
And the ball should bounce before reaching the batter.
Maybe a wicket or two. Then I'd watch. Maybe.
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

Dale, you may not have the SPORTS GENE either, have you been tested?
tansy
shy the blond water
chas

Post by chas »

I don't think the problem is that the game is mostly between the batter and pitcher (and catcher). It's just too damn slow; I think the average length of a game has gone up by about 50% in the last 20 years or so. A fast game used to be under two hours, occasionally even an hour and a half. Now an average game is approaching three hours, and I can't remember the last time I saw that a game had been under two. The onset of this was guys like Carlton Fisk and Mike "The Human Rain Delay" Hargrove who insisted on stepping out of the batter's box after every pitch and adjusting every single piece of clothing and protective equipment on their bodies. MLB has tried to combat this by instituting a rule that the pitcher has 22 seconds from the time he receives the ball to when he must pitch. AFAIK, the only pitcher to be cited at this point is Jonathan Papelbon, who's been fined two or three times. But I've been timing pitchers, and most of them take over 30 seconds to make a pitch, even accounting for batters fiddling around. Bob Gibson averaged SEVEN seconds.

It was such a joy to watch Cliff Lee the other night. A game is just much more enjoyable when there's a fast-working pitcher on the mound.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

You guys ever seen a Cricket match...... :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

dubhlinn wrote:You guys ever seen a Cricket match......
Yeah. It was diffic........I mean, um, challenging. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

I've often thought that the game would be more interesting if the batter had the option of running to either first or third after hitting the ball. Once started in one direction he would have to complete the remaining bases in the same direction, and only one player would be allowed on a base at one time. They would be able to pass each other along the base paths as necessary.
Imagine the fun of TWO guys sliding into home simultaneously from first and third :D
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Oh, LORD no.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I don't know. Maybe move the mound back? Make the ball bigger? Something to shift a little power from the pitcher to the batter?
Wouldn't that be softball?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

A sports topic that I feel I can contribute to intelligently. Hell yeah, Major League Baseball sucks. On so many levels. Quit watching it and spending money on it and MLB may fade away. I'm not even fond of the minor leagues. The real game of baseball is played in Little League. Anything can happen in Little League. Every player is important in Little League. I'm even temporarily opposed to Little League and wish parents were banned from actively participating in games. Sandlot is where the love of the game is.

My Dad is an athlete. He rarely watched sports on TV. He always said, "Why watch a sport? Play a sport." He didn't make us play organized team sports even though he managed a local Teen Baseball Team. Go Teamsters!
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

These are the old rules, from 1858.

1. The Ball must weigh not less than two, nor more than two and three-quarters ounces, avoirdupois. It must measure not less than six and a half, nor more than eight and a half inches in circumference, and must be covered with leather.

2. The Bat must be round, and must not exceed two and a half inches in diameter in the thickest part. It must be made of wood, and may be of any length to suit the Striker.

3. Four Bases or Bounds shall constitute a round; the distance from each base shall be sixty feet.

4. The bases shall be wooden stakes, projecting four feet from the ground.

5. The Striker shall stand inside of a space of four feet in diameter, at equal distance between the first and fourth Bases.

6. The Thrower shall stand thirty-five feet from and on a parallel line with the Striker.

7. The Catcher shall not enter within the space occupied by the Striker, and must remain upon his feet in all cases while catching the Ball.

8. The Ball must be thrown - not pitched or tossed - to the Bat, on the side preferred by the Striker, and within reach of his Bat.

9. The ball must be caught flying in all cases.

10. Players must take their knocks in the order in which they are numbered; and after the first inning is played, the turn will commence with the player succeeding the one who lost on the previous inning.

11. The Ball being struck at three times and missed, and caught each time by a player on the opposite side, the Striker shall be considered out. Or, if the Ball be ticked or knocked, and caught on the opposite side, the Striker shall be considered out. But if the ball is not caught after being struck at three times, it shall be considered a knock, and the Striker obliged to run.

12. Should the Striker stand at the Bat without striking at good balls thrown repeatedly at him, for the apparent purpose of delaying the game, or of giving advantage to players, the referees, after warning him, shall call one strike, and if he persists in such action, two and three strikes; when three strikes are called, he shall be subject to the same rules as if he struck at three fair balls.

13. A player, having possession of the first Base, when the Ball is struck by the succeeding player, must vacate the Base, even at the risk of being put out; and when two players get on one Base, either by accident or otherwise, the player who arrived last is entitled to the Base.

14. If a player, while running the Bases, be hit with the Ball thrown by one of the opposite side, before he has touched the home bound, while off a Base, he shall be considered out.

15. A player, after running the four Bases, on making the home bound, shall be entitled to one tally.

16. In playing all match games, when one is out, the side shall be considered out.

17. In playing all match games, one hundred tallies shall constitute the game, the making of which by either Club, that Club shall be judged the winner.

18. Not less than ten nor more than fourteen players from each Club, shall constitute a match in all games.

19. A person engaged on either side, shall not withdraw during the progress of the match, unless he be disabled, or by the consent of the opposite party.

20. The Referees shall be chosen as follows: One from each Club, who shall agree upon a third made from some Club belonging to this Association, if possible. Their decision shall be final, and binding upon both parties.

21. The Tallymen shall be chosen in the same manner as the Referees.
Reasonable person
Walden
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Dale wrote:
Oh, LORD no.
SUBTLE...at least they have a museum and an ancient old guy who knows everything that ever was about the game.
A wonderful experience, to be shown around the hallowed ground and have every last thing pointed out to ye by somebody who speaks from a lifetime of passion.

I still don't see the point though...Chess is far more exciting...

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Walden wrote:21. The Tallymen shall be chosen in the same manner as the Referees.
Come, mister tally man, tally me banana ...
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I.D.10-t wrote:
Wouldn't that be softball?

:lol: Uh, yes. :x
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Though I have no dog in this hunt, I am enjoying this series. The Yankees are so well-fed, and the Phillies are so uneven.

I like the pitching duels, frankly. Lee's performance the first night? NINE innings, 122 pitches, man, that's legend. He wasn't as good tonight, but kept 'em in the series.

I like going to the games too. I don't care about how long it takes. People are conditioned by football watching and commercials to be all zippy. Baseball ain't zippy and I hope it never gets that way. The only thing zippy is the speed of the ball and that is scary fast. Also, I hate all the eating and drinking in the stands. I come to watch the games, not belch on garlic fries...

There is a kind of stupidity about baseball, though, something about the uniforms on grown men and the way that Yankee guys are the toast of the town, it's embarassingly excessive. Definitely high potential for rich a-holes makin' a fortune while we slave away. Football guys have the shorter careers, the permanent brain damage etc; it's more grim so you don't resent the money nearly as much. I don't think the football guys get the supermodels...

Having helped out on five Little League teams, I would say that emotionally, it's a much more satisfying and interesting experience than the Majors to be sure. But it sure brought out the worst in many of the Dads. I ended up hating a lot of them because they ruined it for the kids!!!
How do you prepare for the end of the world?