Loose tuning slide - advice please

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MarkP
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Loose tuning slide - advice please

Post by MarkP »

Hi

can anyone advise me how to deal with a loose tuning slide?

I have this problem with my lovely Hammy Pratten (which is otherwise a monster of an instrument). It was OK when I got it a month or two ago, possibly because it was well greased, but it worked loose over time. I applied some grease and this worked OK but it loosened again over a week or so to the extent that if there was no grease applied the head would fall off the barrell if turned upside down.

It is not so loose that there is any leakage or any play/movement in the joint but it is too loose for practical purposes.

What do I do?
Mark
Latticino

Re: Loose tuning slide - advice please

Post by Latticino »

Hi,

I'm sure some of the more expert repair folks will chime in with a better alternate, but when I had a similar problem with my delrin M&E I removed all grease from the slide and gave it a very light coating with some bow string wax (archery, not fiddling). That worked very well for me. The wax didn't harden, but added enough friction that the silde stayed in place unless I wanted to move it. I'm sure Hammy, if he signs on, will have good advice for you. Good luck.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

In the brass instrument world, the first step is, as Latticino suggested, a heavier grease. One that is specifically made for slightly loose slides is Hetman's Ultra Slide Grease. Hetman's products are first rate and will not harm silver, nickel silver or brass.

http://www.music123.com/Hetman-Ultra-Sl ... 0.Music123

If it gets really loose a good brass instrument repair person will have tools that will let them very slightly expand the inner stocking. The emphasis here would be on good repair person. If it gets to that point feel free to PM me with your location and I might be able to recommend someone.
I'm asking you because you're an educated sort of swine. John LeCarre
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I may be stupid, but why not send it to Hammy for adjustment? He's a member of this board...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

This question seems to come up a couple of times a year.
The problem has been addressed, it seems, hundred of times.
Why not do a search on C&F?

My fix is simple and clean- just squeeze either the head tube or the tuning tube to put it about .0001 out of round.
This is a ten-second fix and will solve the problem.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
mahanpots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mahanpots »

I've not participated in any past discussions of this, so I'll share how I solved my own loose tuning slide with a whistle, which has probably already been suggested: Take a spoon or something similar and slowly widen the "male" end of the tuning slide by pushing the spoon into the tube and turning it, a tiny bit at a time.
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
chayim

Post by chayim »

plunk111 wrote:I may be stupid, but why not send it to Hammy for adjustment? He's a member of this board...

Pat
I strongly agree with Pat that you ought to just send it back to be adjusted by the maker. Why take the chance of tweeking it and messing it up? If you only bought it a few months ago, (new) from Hammy, than I am sure he will have no problem replacing the head or repairing the slide. But if you do a hack job yourself and mess it up, how will you fix it then? It will make it harder to resell in the future.
Denny

Post by Denny »

:thumbsup: be afraid :thumbsup: be very afraid :thumbsup:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Julia Delaney wrote:My fix is simple and clean- just squeeze either the head tube or the tuning tube to put it about .0001 out of round.
This is a ten-second fix and will solve the problem.
I second that. Just a short squeeze between your fingers, no tools needed, and not visibly changing the shape. The tube end thus squeezed will become ever so slightly oval, and introduces a slight friction resulting in perfect lasting mating.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Mark, if we meet up to get your German flute back to you in the next week or two, I'll sort it for you if you haven't already done it - but I second the advice to contact Hammy before you do anything else - just phone him!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Achill

Post by Achill »

Hi Mark,
I had a similiar issue and turned to the fine folks here for ideas too. Here is that post...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66496
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

thanks for all the advice, much as I thought (and have done with cheaper instruments before). Off to play with Kevin, Jean-Michelle and various Chiffers tomorrow, so I'll gingerly figure a temporary fix to see me through the weekend.

PS. I should have said that the flute wasn't new so I'm not suggesting that Hammy would be in any way accountable for it (great instrument).
Mark
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

MarkP wrote:Off to play with Kevin, Jean-Michel and various Chiffers tomorrow
Grrrr. Rub our noses in it, why don't ya? :swear:

No seriously, enjoy it! Lucky b*****d. :thumbsup:
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Why even think of bothering Hammy for something like this?
How could you hack it?
As Hans (who has been playing for years) said, Just a short squeeze between your fingers, no tools needed, and not visibly changing the shape.
Why should anybody be afraid? Afraid of what?
And why would you want to crap up your instrument with grease when there's no need to?
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Denny

Post by Denny »

instigator....next you'll be havin' 'em adjustin' their corks without parental supervision
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.