How to shoot a wolf

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

How to shoot a wolf

Post by s1m0n »

Jose Luis Rodriguez captured the imaginations of the judges with a picture that he had planned for years, and even sketched out on a piece of paper.

"I wanted to capture a photo in which you would see a wolf in an act of hunting - or predation - but without blood," he told BBC News. "I didn't want a cruel image."

With a great deal of patience and careful observation of the wolves' movements, he succeeded in taking the award-winning photograph.

Mr Rodriguez used a custom-built infrared trap to snap the wolf as it leapt into the air.

[...]

When he started planning the photograph, he feared that he might not be able to get close enough to the Iberian wolves.

This subspecies of the grey wolf lives close to human habitation in northern Spain. They are often persecuted by people who see them as a threat to livestock, and they are consequently very wary.

Watching the animals as they returned to the same spot to collect food each night, Mr Rodriguez decided on his dream shot.

He eventually captured it using a photographic trap that included a motion sensor and an infrared barrier to operate the camera.

He hopes that his picture, "showing the wolf's great agility and strength", will become an image that can be used to show just how beautiful the Iberian wolf is and how the Spanish can be proud to have such an emblematic animal.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
emmline

Re: How to shoot a wolf

Post by emmline »

It's a great photo. It leaves me to wonder though--just what, on the other side of the gate, is the wolf so intently focused on?

And I also wonder about the efficacy of that particular photo in changing the locals' minds about Iberian wolves as neighbors?
Sure, it's lovely, but if you have vulnerable goats, for example, you would take this pic as evidence that the wolf was, in fact quite
capable of eating them.
Denny

Post by Denny »

could be collecting rabbits from a garden :wink:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Our five-year-old beagle's knees are being operated on today. The biggest jumps he has ever made have been from our couch. I'm a dog-lover, but boy, have we messed with their genetics over the centuries! :boggle:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

cool picture
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

That's a wonderful photo. Thanks for posting it, s1m0n.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

emmline wrote:It's a great photo. It leaves me to wonder though--just what, on the other side of the gate, is the wolf so intently focused on?

And I also wonder about the efficacy of that particular photo in changing the locals' minds about Iberian wolves as neighbors?
Sure, it's lovely, but if you have vulnerable goats, for example, you would take this pic as evidence that the wolf was, in fact quite
capable of eating them.
It's probably the guy holding the lights. Poor devil. :lol:

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

What no one has mentioned is how the wolf handled landing from this jump after his nightvision was blown to h3ll by some bugger with a flash camera. :boggle:
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Incredible photo...clever thread title as well :lol:
Slan,
D. :thumbsup:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

dubhlinn wrote:Incredible photo...clever thread title as well
It's a blatant rip-off of the title of MFK Fisher's How to Cook a Wolf.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I know a lot of people here in Idaho that would be interested in a good cookbook for wolves. Many of those who are living with the recently re-introduced wolves really aren't enjoying it that much.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Pretty cool! It almost looks Photoshopped.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Doc Jones wrote:I know a lot of people here in Idaho that would be interested in a good cookbook for wolves. Many of those who are living with the recently re-introduced wolves really aren't enjoying it that much.

Doc
Many of them wolves "re-introduced" themselves. If all those Iddayho cattlemen would stop running their cattle on ma land I'm sure the wolves would be happy with the wildlife. Maybe they should look into getting some Pyrenees ta guard their herds.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

dfernandez77 wrote:Pretty cool! It almost looks Photoshopped.
Expect crasher squirrel to show up any second.

C.S. Lewis
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

dfernandez77 wrote:Pretty cool! It almost looks Photoshopped.
http://xkcd.com/331/
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."