100 things to do wrong starting the whistle.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Re: 100 things to do wrong starting the whistle.

Post by WyoBadger »

49. Slam your favorite, well-worn, well-loved, well-traveled clarke high D in the door of your truck. *sob*

50. Use your high G as an elk bugle. (not because it doesn't work, but because the temptation is too strong to play a tune when the day gets slow. Bull elk HATE Irish tunes, and barely tolerate Scottish ones)

51. Practice your high G while riding shotgun on a roadtrip with the Mrs.

(funny, you'd have thought that more of these would involve "high G." Sort of a mistake all its own, don't you think?)
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

52. Start any list of 100 things.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

53. Become all bitter, twisted, cynical, old and tired without years of cyclical serious practice, frustration, despair, WHOAD........
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

54. Think you will sound like Joanie Madden or Mary Bergin in not time.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
shatfield

Post by shatfield »

jemtheflute wrote:53. Become all bitter, twisted, cynical, old and tired without years of cyclical serious practice, frustration, despair, WHOAD........

What if you're like that before you start the whistle..................... :boggle: :shock:
Just call me a working class Renaissance Man (in other words a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none)
StarRider

Post by StarRider »

54. :) Think you know everything better than people who've had years of experience! :)
toasterburn

Post by toasterburn »

55. insert it anywhere but your mouth
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

56. Thinking that the whistle would be a casual and inexpensive pastime.

First you buy whistles from most every maker in lots of keys... and then several lathes plus tooling, shelves of exotic wood, lots of delrin, aluminum, brass, PVC, CPVC, HDPE ....

You get the idea! :)

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

HAHA HAHAHAHAHAH!!! !!!

Love this thread!

Whata we up to .. 57???

57. Believe you KNOW what the whistler on your Chieftains (or - insert your favorite artist here) record is doing! (listen again every year - you will find something new!!)

58. Think that all whistles are the same. none of them are :)

59. Expect a more expensive whitstle to make you play better .. It may make you sound better, but the hard yards are still yours.

60 Make the mistake that a Gen is all you will ever need. (not my opinion - go look at any accomplished player's kit).

61 Make the mistake that your Gen will never get used again ;)

62. Assume that the good playing you hear is due to special FX in the recording. Get a life - it's the player that makes that sound! The engineer will do the best he can, but he's no substitute for a good musician. (challenge me on this and loose)

63. Play for money. No Musician I know actually plays for money. I grant that some are good businessmen/women, BUT music is never for money - it is for expression. If you play - you express - I defy any human, who is not a psychopath, to not be moved if you are playing your heart's expression - the principal of patronage is immensely stronger than the principal of profit. Express! and be payed to be a human, by those who love you as a human. It IS natual law and our whistle is the next best thing to our own voice and face.

64. Accept payment when it comes. It is an expression of honor - are you devoid of honor?

65. Play in a vacuum ..Take up your whistle, play, and open your senses ..what are the birds doing .. the lizards, the insects?? It takes a little mastery to play this way - the tune you can play in your sleep .. play it .. listen and enjoy what you are playing .. obseve and listen to how your expression radiates through your environment. Observe how the humans respond - observe how the birds respond.. The domestic diputes calm - the pause in birdcall .. then wait for the response - listen as you solve your own environment and the birds take your message across the country. It's a no-brainer we've been blinded from for too many years ;) You were not called for this for nothing!

66. Think a whistle is a simple object. A whistle is our modern "reed" Go google the middle eastern understanding of the reed's gruief to become music through death. Our expression through tune and song. Palfrey to you, but the song is the blood of the universe - Open your heart and sing - play your whistle and be unafraid. The whole universe is listenning to YOU!. And you are the difference bwetween the universe .. and nothing.

67,. Be afraid. You have picked up a whistle because you are finshed with fear. Don't forget that! Play :)
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Mitch wrote:64. Accept payment when it comes. It is an expression of honor - are you devoid of honor?
Shouldn't that be: [it's a mistake to] "Not accept payment ..."? :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
packie

Post by packie »

68. Fail to blow the 2nd octave hard enough.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

packie wrote:68. Fail to blow the 2nd octave hard enough.

69. Blowing to hard for the first octave, and fliping to second octave then woundering what is wrong with the whistle.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Shelp

Post by Shelp »

70. Assume it is inferior to the flute!.....
narrowdog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by narrowdog »

71 thinking whistle monogamy is a good idea........the frustration will kill you :wink:
Happiness is taking things as they are.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Shelp wrote:70. Assume it is inferior to the flute!.....

:thumbsup:

It is realy not , is it.................
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086