block or pin aesthetics

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.

which do you prefer in terms of visual aesthetics?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:19 am

block mounted keywork (hunky, chunky)
58%
pin mounted keywork (sleek and se_y)
42%

Total votes: 57

talasiga
antispam: No

block or pin aesthetics

Post by talasiga »

this has little to do with music unless we are so neurotic that the visual appearance of an instrument affects the sound we get from it. However, it is about flutes.

I am just curious whether people have an aesthetic preference when it comes to two types of simple system flutes - those with block mounted keywork and those with pin mounted keywork.

Therefore the poll.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: block or pin aesthetics

Post by s1m0n »

Objectively, I think pin mounts are nicer, but in context tradition wins out.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

In a numbskull world, blockhead v pinhead? :twisted: :wink:
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I like both, depending on implementation. Have seen both pin-mounted and block-mounted flutes I didn't like, visually. It depends on the proportions.
chris_coreline
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by chris_coreline »

pin; much cleaner, and easier to play in odd grips. Also - lighter, and as mentioned - better looking..
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I'm with Gabriel here - I've seen truly beautiful flutes in either style, and also ugly ones. And then there are the hybrid/mixtures..... On balance I think I prefer block mounts for standard 8-key simple system flutes, but some of the modern stick-on-an-odd-key-to-suit flutes just look mis-shapen with blocks and posts seem neater then. But individual maker/workshop style is more significant to me.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

From what I have read, the pin style is more functional. Less prone to atmosphere change effecting it, and binding up, etc.

Is this incorrect?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I.D.10-t wrote:From what I have read, the pin style is more functional. Less prone to atmosphere change affecting it, and binding up, etc.

Is this incorrect?
I've never had any such problems on my R&R over 25-odd years, and I don't see it happening on any short time-scale with the other antiques I've been handling in the last few years. Sure, they come in with sticking keys, usually becasue they're all gunked up with verdigris &/or rancid oil deposits - that goes for pin mounts too! Once cleaned up and if undamaged, there is rarely too tight a fit - and it is easily fixed if so. I think, rather like the bad rap of pewter plugs, these things get considerably overstated - mostly block mounts function just fine. I don't think they are even significantly more prone to damage - you are just as likely (as in not very, with due care) to knock out or catch and rip out a post/pillar/pin as you are to knock off a bit of a block. I suppose taking a block-mount flute that is acclimatised to a dessicated environment into a damp one might cause enough swelling to wedge a key in its slot, but we are talking extremes here. I'm not saying it never happens or that there is no reason behind the criticism at all, but slots on antiques are rarely all that snug a fit - play is more likely to be a problem with inaccurate key closure than getting stuck - and that too goes for pillar mounts as well!
Last edited by jemtheflute on Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
nohoval_turrets

Post by nohoval_turrets »

I like the pin-mounting best. To my eye it looks cleaner and more modern - it leaves the lines of the flute intact. But maybe I'm strange - I like the aesthetics of the French flutes best. But I prefer the way the English flutes play.
Denny

Post by Denny »

many of us are strange, try not to draw attention
head down, don't ever look 'em in the eye, keep shufflin' on
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

My website is probably responsible for some people feeling that pin-mounted flutes are more reliable; in my early days of learning about flutes I was overly influenced by proponents of pin mounting. But having owned block-mounted flutes for 20 years now, the only problems I've ever experienced with blocks are occasional sticking of keys when the blocks swell; it's mainly been an issue with my boxwood flute, which is much more sensitive to changes in humidity than blackwood. I prefer the look of block-mounted flutes, they seem more organic and warmer to me somehow....more wood, less metal.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

s1m0n wrote:Objectively, I think pin mounts are nicer, but in context tradition wins out.
I think Hammy hamilton once told me that pin mounting was every bit as old as block mounting and therefore had equal claim on "traditional". Could be wrong but thought he did. Maybe one of the gurus will chime in.

Personally I prefer pin mounting.

My reasons:

- They never swell and stick
- They are really easy to replace if something traumatic happens
- They can be added one by one as finances or whims dictate
- Done right, they are very attractive (but ugly ones are butt ugly)
- They seem less "in the way" to my particular grip especially the short F

Casey Burns and Maurice Reviol are both particularly excellent pin mounters...really lovely work.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

To which I add Chris C's point above about lightness. This may not amount to a lot,
but sometimes very good blocked flutes have silver channels in the blocks and
I do think this adds up, silver not being light stuff.

I think I slightly prefer the aesthetics of blocks.
celticmodes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by celticmodes »

talasiga wrote:... unless we are so neurotic that the visual appearance of an instrument affects the sound we get from it...
Guilty as charged. All my instruments follow a strict color scheme (black gold/brass maple/spruce). If I can't get it hand made to match, I change it myself. Don't know why. I'll post a picture for ridicule.

There are fantastic examples of both pin and block mounted in the pictures of flutes thread.
celticmodes
[Reviol 8 key | Oz Vambrace | Dusty Strings Ravenna | Luna Trinity Parlor]
Cubitt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cubitt »

I prefer block for the following reasons

I prefer more wood and less metal
It has the look of something hand made
I like to anchor my pinky on the block that supports the lower three keys
It looks more antiquie
I don't want my flute to look like a clarinet
It looks more charming and less industrial
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain