Has the market for flutes changed any?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Has the market for flutes changed any?

Post by ImNotIrish »

I may have a flute up for sale soon. Would like some input from others about the prospect of putting up for sale a high-end
flute. I don't know the latest on Ben P.'s Bb, but he seems to have been trying a find a buyer for a while.
Arbo
Aanvil

Re: Has the market for flutes changed any?

Post by Aanvil »

These day its seems most people have a lot less money and are tending to hold a little tighter what they have left.

Put it up for what you want for it and see where it goes.

You might have that one flute someone always wanted.

Seems simple enough.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I'll give you $99, no questions asked.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

$99.99!
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Read it aloud in German: nein, nein, nein, nein.

Rob
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

I still haven't sold my 6-key Olwell cocus. Nor my 32 button Suttner C/G Anglo concertina. I do think that the market has changed. In the past these instruments would have flown out the door. The fat times are gone - maybe forever. On the other hand, even at an exorbitantly high price a rare and valuable instrument will eventually find a buyer.
Good instruments have certainly held their value much better than real estate or equities. And they are a lot more fun.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Yeah, sales do seem slow of recent times, as one might expect. That Olwell "recycled" R&R on eBay didn't go - and the Buy It Now was a very reasonable £2.6k. I don't think values have dropped significantly - unless one is really pushed for funds and must sell at some (if not quite any) price, it is worth hanging on and one will eventually get a decent sale at a "proper" price for whatever it is (provided one isn't being unreasonable/unrealistic, of course), but likely less swiftly than in better times.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

jemtheflute wrote:Yeah, sales do seem slow of recent times, as one might expect. That Olwell "recycled" R&R on eBay didn't go - and the Buy It Now was a very reasonable £2.6k.
Although there weren't any bids on it, it did look like that one was pulled off eBay a day or two before the auction was scheduled to end. Perhaps Patrick found a buyer for it outside of eBay.
Denny

Post by Denny »

that was my guess as well
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Yes, the Rudall did sell. At a very good price, too. I don't think the market for Rudalls has slipped much over the past few months.
Top instruments hold their value pretty well.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Ah, thanks lads. i'm getting the feeling that I should probably wait and just tough it out. I'm not so desperate that I should part with a somewhat rare and unique flute just because I am facing some financial troubles. Even though it has been sitting in a plastic box these days, I think i should probably take it out and give it a blow occasionally.... Troubles aside, it's money in the bank, and a flute in the hand!
Arbo
eilam

Post by eilam »

i have some nice flutes that i decided to let go, but right now, unless you have no choice, i don't think is a great time to sell.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I've seen news of a steady stream of R&Rs selling, but few others. Are modern high end flutes still re-selling? I know that Olwell is funding his workshop expansion, but is there a reason he's doing so with antique flutes rather than his own work?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

is there a reason he's doing so with antique flutes rather than his own work?
probably because he's actually gotta make the ones from his own shop.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Elite stuff still goes, and at a good price;less elite is a good deal less likely to sell at all.