Cooking request: cornbread

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Cooking request: cornbread

Post by chas »

All of my cornbread recipes have flour in them (I have quite a few). I have a family member with celiac disease, so anything with gluten is out. I'd like a recipe or three that use only cornmeal. I've talked to a few people who have said they've never heard of cornbread using flour, but I can't remember whom, and a cursory search of the net only yields all-corn cornbread that's fried. Nothing wrong with that, it's just not what I'm looking for.

I've experimented a little using coarse cornmeal and masa harina, but it's been somewhat unsuccessful. Anyone have a good recipe with only cornmeal, or know a rule of thumb for replacing wheat flour with corn meal? Maybe an extra egg?

TIA,
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Cooking request: cornbread

Post by missy »

http://www.recipelink.com/cookbooks/199 ... 429_4.html

http://www.recipetips.com/recipe-cards/ ... nbread.asp

http://www.angelfire.com/ak/faith7/whea ... bread.html

I have no idea if these are any good - I just did a google on "cornbread wheat free" and that's what came up.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
dwest

Post by dwest »

Often the small bags of stone ground corn meal will have wheat flour-less recipes, I have misplaced my Tassajara bead book so I don't know if they had any flour-less recipes but they had a three layer corn bread that is great but unfortunately it does use wheat.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I don't know about the wheat thing sorry but I do advocate for yogurt or sour cream as a substiture for some of the moist ingredients. I also add a bit of sugar and vanilla. I like a bit of a cake texture to my cornbread. I've added cream corn too as a substitute for moisture. I can take or leave that.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Cornbread-
Heat oven to 425 degrees
aprox 2 cups cornmeal
2 eggs beaten
enough buttermilk to make it real moist, like cake batter- about a cup
you can spray the skillet with pam before you put the oil in it and the bread won't stick at all
heat your skillet in the oven-cast iron- with about a tablespoon of oil when the oil is good and hot pour it in your batter and stir it up good

pour the batter in the skillet and bake it about 25 minutes until the top is brown and cracks open

this is my dh's recipe and it makes great cornbread
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
chas

Post by chas »

Cowtime, that's exactly what I was looking for -- I presume it has baking soda or powder? Any idea how much?

Thanks to everyone,
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

chas wrote:Cowtime, that's exactly what I was looking for -- I presume it has baking soda or powder? Any idea how much?

Thanks to everyone,
He uses "Tendabake Self-rising Cornmeal" so it's already in there. Just look for some cornmeal that's self-rising.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I prefer to leave out the eggs as it gives a sulphur like taste.

If I use buttermilk, I add some baking soda as well, but sweet milk is almost as good, with proper cornbread mix.

2 cups self-rising cornmeal mix (Martha White Buttermilk Self Rising is my favorite but it contains some wheat flour), check ingredients of your mix choice, or use corn meal and add your own salt and baking powder.
1/4 cup oil or melted shortning
1 1/3 cups milk

Mix, pour into cast iron skillet/cornbread sticks baker and bake at 450 deg F. until top is light brown, approx 25-30 minutes. Turn oven to broil and brown the top to your liking.

I like mine thin and as much crust as you can get, so I just barely cover the bottom of the skillet (1 tbs for each bread stick).

Now I am craving some pinto beans and onions... :thumbsup:
Last edited by fancypiper on Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

If you can't find self-raising cornmeal, you could try a teaspoon or so of baking powder, or as long as you're using buttermilk (more acid than whole milk) you can use half a teaspoon of baking soda instead. Magic Baking powder is b. Soda + cream of tartar, which is chemically a base + an acid, which when activated by moisture reacts to give off a gas, which leavens the batter. Many of you will probably know all of this, but I puzzled over cryptic remarks in recipe books for years before finally looking it up.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Be very careful with the self-rising mixes if gluten is an issue.

Both Marth White White Self-Risingand Marthe White Yellow Self-Rising contain wheat flour.

The Tenda-Bake doesn't appear to.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
dwest

Post by dwest »

If you don't have buttermilk you can add some vinegar to milk to make your own and a little sugar to the corn mix. I have found over the years most folks seem to like my corn bread made with soured milk vs buttermilk. And a smidgen of vanilla can take much of the stronger egg taste if you want use eggs in the batter.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

gonzo914 wrote:Be very careful with the self-rising mixes if gluten is an issue.

Both Marth White White Self-Risingand Marthe White Yellow Self-Rising contain wheat flour.
Is that what the "white" in their names is supposed to indicate?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
chas

Post by chas »

gonzo914 wrote:Be very careful with the self-rising mixes if gluten is an issue.

The Tenda-Bake doesn't appear to.
Hey, Gonzo, don't be a stranger.

Yes, I would look at the ingredients of any mix -- gluten pops up in a lot of unexpected places.

Every jar of salted dry-roasted peanuts I've looked at recently has MSG and flavorings in it. Evidently that's the primary difference between dry-roasted and regular cocktail peanuts. The cooking method is (probably) different, of course, but the bit of added oil doesn't significantly affect the fats if you look in the nutritional information. I'll just stick with Adam's.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

That's how my grandmothers made it, without sugar or flour. I don't really like the cornbread that's soft and sweet like cake very much. I grew up in an extended family with lots of the older generation, and they knew how to cook good.
s1m0n wrote:Is that what the "white" in their names is supposed to indicate?
No, Martha White is just the name of an old milling company.
Reasonable person
Walden
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Still a work in progress, and not cornbread, but what the heck, Good stuff so far.

Oat Muffins.

3C rolled oats, rhy, or barley
Blend on high to the consistency of flour

2 Tbs. Sugar (brown)
1 Tbs. Baking powder
1 C Skim milk
2 Eggs
1 Tsp. Cinnamon

Heat the oven to 425°F.
Combine dry ingredients, in a seporate bowl,
combine liquid ingredients and mix
them together. Add liquid to dry ingredients until just moist.
Grease the muffin tin and fill 2/3 full with batter.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until light brown.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."