National RM-1 Mandolins

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

National RM-1 Mandolins

Post by crookedtune »

I've been looking at these for a while, and wondered if any mando players here have ever played one. I think Loren may have discussed them not too long ago, but I can't find the thread.

Everything I can find online is very positive. It's said to be a loud mandolin, but woody-sounding, and not brash or metallic.

I have a couple of very nice instruments now, (Gibson A-50 and Weber Beartooth), and I play both a lot. I tend not to play mandolin in Irish sessions, though, due to volume issues. The Nationals are pricey, (about $1800US), so I'd have to give up one of my current instruments. I'd sure like to try one out......

Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
liestman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: National RM-1 Mandolins

Post by liestman »

I play Irish and other music (mostly Irish) in sessions and for dances. My other mando is an early 80's Sobell - nothing to sneeze at! It pretty well sits in the case now and I take the National. With regular strings on it, the National does have a bit of an edge to it, but I use Jazzmando strings and it just sound like a loud wooden mando, with an amazingly full bass register. It does not have the breathy shimmer of the Sobell but man it sounds great. I tried the TI strings and found that they did not project as well as the Jazzmando strings and the Jazzmando strings last a very long time before they lose their tone.

My favorite part about it is that, even when playing with concertina, fiddles, bodhran, guitar and whistles, I do not have to totally slam it just to be heard, so I preserve some dynamic abilities.

Yes, get one and sell one of your others!

Here is the old thread, and if you go to my posting in that thread you will find links to sound files of the Sobell and National that might help you decide.

viewtopic.php?p=788288
yer friend and mine,
John Liestman
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Oh Jeez....why'd ya hafta go and show us that...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Wow, thanks liestman! Your clip and comments have me thinking seriously about it. My Weber has a resale value about equal to the cost of a new National, and I've been preferring the A-50 (for its wider fingerboard), so that may go on the block. It's hard, though, after ten years of bonding.... I'll need to sleep on this a bit.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
wolvy

Post by wolvy »

I tried playing an RM-1 at Buffalo Brothers and was really impressed with it. I don't normally like reso-mandos, but this one sounded really nice. I usually play an old Gibson A, but this National would be a nice, second mando when I wanted to be louder.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I don't play mandolin myself, but two musicians I know here in Germany play a RM-1 and I like that thing big time. Huge volume for a mandolin, so that I'm still able to follow their sets when the others bang away as well. And the tone is also nice, very round and warm. I'm normally not too fond of mandolin tone, but I like the RM-1 a lot (which, on the other side, is caused by the fact that the RM-1 doesn't sound like an acoustic mandolin!).
lordofthestrings

Post by lordofthestrings »

Hi-

I've never played one of the National resonator mandos, but I have played a GoldTone one (all metal body) and was very impressed. It had lots of ring to it, and fantastic projection.

I play a resophonic bouzouki (pics in the 'photos of your stinged instruments' thread) that is just out of this world, amazing projection, awesome tone (like some cross between a banjo, 12 string guitar, resonator guitar and traditional bouzouki), and a joy to play. It always turns a lot of heads and gets a lot of comments. After playing resophonic, wood bouzoukis just sound puny :wink:
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Thanks for the advice. Predictably, I caved in and purchased the RM-1, and it's just fantastic. It's loud, but can be played softly. It has that resonator sound, but is not at all tinny --- more like an amplified wooden mandolin. The finish work is outstanding. I can hardly put it down!

What I like best is that you don't have to bash it to get a lot of sound. You can play with subtle technique, and still be heard. The only caution I would offer is that I don't care for the sound of the standard "chopped" bluegrass chords. If you play bluegrass, try before you buy. Otherwise, I'd probably recommend this over any mandolin I have played, and for any style of music.

So....the National and the Gibson stay. The Weber may go to my son, but I'm gonna make him sweat for a while. :moreevil: (It's a long story).

Anyone who's interested, PM me for info about pricing. You can do a lot better than the advertised prices, eBay, etc.....
Charlie Gravel

― Oscar Wilde
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I played one at a local get-together where I showed up for the first time in a very long time to pluck my mando in public (that's another embarrassing story for another time). I ran into an old coworker of mine who owns one and he let me pluck around a bit. They really do sound divine.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Whistling Archer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistling Archer »

I hope you post something after you get it. My first thought was yuck!! a reso-mando,, but I have never heard one. I had a reso uke for as long as it took to ship it back, butttt,
I am looking forward to hearing this metal mando :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/sjeter61
My tunes , if you're interested
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

This isn't me, but it is the RM-1. It doesn't come through from this blues clip, but the RM-1 does surprisingly well for Irish trad as well. (BTW, it's a wood-bodied instrument, not metal. The inside has a heavy piece of chambered walnut, with the resonator cone placed over it. Very unique design).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PwucS53AsY
Charlie Gravel

― Oscar Wilde
Whistling Archer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistling Archer »

crookedtune wrote:This isn't me, but it is the RM-1. It doesn't come through from this blues clip, but the RM-1 does surprisingly well for Irish trad as well. (BTW, it's a wood-bodied instrument, not metal. The inside has a heavy piece of chambered walnut, with the resonator cone placed over it. Very unique design).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PwucS53AsY
sounds good to me.That fellow had a bit of Dawg tone going there que bueno!
http://www.youtube.com/user/sjeter61
My tunes , if you're interested