Obama Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Obama Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Post by MTGuru »

Doug_Tipple wrote:My brother said Indiana, and the salesman did an about face and walked away. Not gonna help no damn Yankee, no way.
I'm not sure that Indiana counts as Yankee, at least south of around Martinsville. :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I'll venture that Obama would have rather seen it go to Mortenson. Could be wrong, but I doubt it.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Doug_Tipple wrote:My brother said Indiana, and the salesman did an about face and walked away. Not gonna help no damn Yankee, no way.
It wasn't a Yankee thing. In the Louisiana accent,
"Indiana" sounds like "in da yanna", which is Creole
for "on the john". The salesman probably thought
your brother was just fooling around.

:tomato:
dwest

Post by dwest »

jim stone wrote:To put the matter in perspective, here is a candidate for this year's prize who lost.

From Time:

'Compare this to Greg Mortenson, nominated for the prize by some members of Congress, who the bookies gave 20-to-1 odds of winning. Son of a missionary, a former army Medic and mountaineer, he has made it his mission to build schools for girls in places where opium dealers and tribal warlords kill people for trying. His Central Asia Institute has built more than 130 schools in Afghanistan and Pakistan - a mission which has, along the way, inspired millions of people to view the protection and education of girls as a key to peace and prosperity and progress.'

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20091009/u ... 9192939500
How would that have looked if the Committee had picked an American of Norvegan descent? The peace prize comimittee is made up of politicans, not other peace activists I think it is hardly fair to expect them to act rationally at all times. BTW the committee doesn't care for organizations that make a big deal out of nominating a canidate for the prize as was done by the US Congress in regards to Mortenson's nomination.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I think that's as good as he or anyone else could have done for damage control short of refusing the award, and I'm not sure what good the latter would really do.
I think that refusing it would have been a political nightmare and would have looked isolationist.
That pretty much says it, I think.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

jim stone wrote:To put the matter in perspective, here is a candidate for this year's prize who lost.

From Time:

'Compare this to Greg Mortenson, nominated for the prize by some members of Congress, who the bookies gave 20-to-1 odds of winning. Son of a missionary, a former army Medic and mountaineer, he has made it his mission to build schools for girls in places where opium dealers and tribal warlords kill people for trying. His Central Asia Institute has built more than 130 schools in Afghanistan and Pakistan - a mission which has, along the way, inspired millions of people to view the protection and education of girls as a key to peace and prosperity and progress.'

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20091009/u ... 9192939500
But I bet he didn't have the support of George $oro$.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
dwest

Post by dwest »

Nanohedron wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I think that's as good as he or anyone else could have done for damage control short of refusing the award, and I'm not sure what good the latter would really do.
I think that refusing it would have been a political nightmare and would have looked isolationist.
That pretty much says it, I think.
Oh Yeah? Just wait until the Norvegans try to serve Lutefisk to the President, I'll bet the Secret Service will be throwing their bodies in the line of fire. That's what will be a political nightmare. "US goes to war with Norway for their attempt to poison President"
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I guess one thing that is in the back of my mind is that I don't like a potentially political organization, from outside the country offering a 1.5 million dollar gift to a seated or running politician.

I know the tinfoil hat is on a bit tight today...
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

dwest wrote:Oh Yeah? Just wait until the Norvegans try to serve Lutefisk to the President...
Look. If they're slingin' lutefisk, there's no way they can be Norvegans.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

dwest wrote:Oh Yeah? Just wait until the Norvegans try to serve Lutefisk to the President, I'll bet the Secret Service will be throwing their bodies in the line of fire. That's what will be a political nightmare. "US goes to war with Norway for their attempt to poison President"
I think Minnesota and Wisconsin both eat more Lutefisk than Norway, more likely Gravlax on toast for breakfast will do him in.

Man shouldn't have said that, now I am in the mood for Gravlax... ...and my local grocery store makes it from scratch.

Just hope he doesn't bring back any royalty. I could imagine their reaction to pizza. "Uffda, who puked on the lefse?"
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Anyway, lutefisk is for pikers. You want REAL, authentic, living-on-the-freakin'-edge Norwegian X-treme cuisine? Try Rakfisk. Not recommended for those with compromised immune systems, or for pregnant women, if that tells you anything. :boggle:
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I was already in the mood for Gravlax, and you show me this? It is like the perfect Norwegian version of sushi with potato instead of rice, lefse instead of nori, and fermented, salted raw fish instead of plain raw fish.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

You could even make your own! Fermented trout? Yeah, baby. Gravlax is baby food.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Nanohedron wrote:Look. If they're slingin' lutefisk, there's no way they can be Norvegans.
They can if they're slingin' new TOFUtefisk!
We take the finest pressed and formed soy curds,
treat it with lye and let it sit for as long as we can
stand the smell. Then we steam it and ship it to
only the most tolerant Norvegan establishments.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

fearfaoin wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Look. If they're slingin' lutefisk, there's no way they can be Norvegans.
They can if they're slingin' new TOFUtefisk!
You did NOT just go there.