I'm crushed ... and so is my Dixon trad!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
waltcamp45
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I'm crushed ... and so is my Dixon trad!

Post by waltcamp45 »

Last night I accidentally crushed (with my knee) my beloved Dixon trad, which I'd had for years and was by far my most heavily played whistle. No one to blame but myself - the whistle was on the bed, and I climbed into bed, with the whistle and my knee both at exactly the right/wrong location.

I offer this up as a cautionary tale: it's late at night - do you know where your whistles are?

Sigh, sniffle, whimper ...

Walt
narrowdog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: I'm crushed ... and so is my Dixon trad!

Post by narrowdog »

......and thankfully it was your knee :boggle:
Happiness is taking things as they are.
Whistler Bard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Whistler Bard »

My condolences to the family :sniffle:
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Queen Victoria never looked behind her when she sat down. Clearly she never played whistle.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Ah yes... Condolences, and all that. But what a truly wonderful excuse to exercise your WHOA... Hmmm. I hope your travails do not give any other whistle pilgrims, ideas...

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
waltcamp45

Post by waltcamp45 »

Thanks all for the kind words and whistle (or bodily) humor :-)

I had hoped to at least turn this into a teachable moment for my 2-year-old daughter. When I told her that I was sad because I had broken my toy, she pointed at one of her toys, smiled confidently and said, "Hazel's toys are good!"

OUCH! We're clearly going to have to work on her empathy skills!

To cushion the blow, I've ordered a Tweaked Mellow Dog from Doc at the Irish Flute Store. Eventually I'll get another Dixon trad, but it's just too soon; I'm not done grieving yet!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

How squashed is it? Is it truly a goner?

I rescued a squashed Walton's Little Black by working it back to round with a wooden dowel and various makeshift tools. Of course, the thin aluminum is easy to work. But you might have luck with a wooden or metal rod as a mandrel. Or maybe one of the whistle makers on the Chiffboard, like Daniel Bingamon or Chuck Tilbury, might be able to fix it.

In any case, be sure to save your old whistle head (assuming that wasn't crushed!). They may not be 100% consistent, and putting your old head on a new Dixon tube will more or less guarantee resurrecting you old friend. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

MTGuru wrote:I rescued a squashed Walton's Little Black by working it back to round with a wooden dowel and various makeshift tools.
Same here, only with a Reyburn brass C. It had been completely squashed flat from the third to fifth holes (don't even ask :twisted: ) and I used a wood dowel and rubber mallet to ever so gently get it back into shape. It took quite a while but you have to look very closely to tell it had been damaged, and it plays great. All that remains is a very small ripple near the fifth hole.

If your trad isn't over the edge and the head is still ok, maybe you can give it a try??
waltcamp45

Post by waltcamp45 »

Thanks MTGuru and Ballyshannon for the suggestions. I may try salvaging it, and even if I can, I can certainly recycle the head. I was even toying with trying the head on, say, a Generation ... figured at the very least I'd have a great Frankensteinian whistle for Halloween ... it's ALIVE!!!
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

I had the same thing happen with my Sweetheart a few years ago. I crushed it good. I still miss it.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
waltcamp45

Post by waltcamp45 »

I have partially restored the whistle to its former glory, thanks to a wooden dowel rod and a rubber mallet. Sadly, there are still dent's on both sides of the 5 hole, and the area from the 5 hole to the end of the whistle is still bent a bit.

But it's playable and reasonably in tune ... eventually I'll get a replacement, but this takes some of the sting out of it!
waltcamp45

Post by waltcamp45 »

The Whistle Collector wrote:I had the same thing happen with my Sweetheart a few years ago. I crushed it good. I still miss it.
Ouch! I'm a big fan of Sweethearts ... that must have been quite a loss.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

You'll like the tweaked mellow dog...it and my dixon trad are my 2 favorite whistles. I play the mellow dog more though because of the better volume for sessions. If I squashed my dixon trad, I'd order another the next day - lovely sounding whistle and a bit quieter for in-home practice.

Eric
Torrin Riáin
Tell us something.: a sentence or 2. Having a field that requires 100 characters get displayed next to each and every post I make sure is annoying.

Post by Torrin Riáin »

Terrible luck, crushing whistles, a man I know once ran over a Burke whistle in his car! It was never the same again...

Best of luck!
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Torrin Riáin wrote: ... a man I know once ran over a Burke whistle in his car! It was never the same again...
The man, the car or the whistle?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.