Can't read music

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
solo

Can't read music

Post by solo »

Hello everyone!

I really enjoy learning how to play the tin whistle but to be honest i can't read music so could anyone recommend a really basic tutorial that covers reading "ABC". No matter what happens i won't give up but being able to read the "ABC" would be a great help.

Have a good day everyone and thanks for any and all help
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Re: Can't read music

Post by fearfaoin »

ABC code wasn't really meant to be read by
humans. (Though it is based on a simple,
human-readable idea used by some music
teachers). It was designed to be converted
by computer to sheet music. But you can
mostly read it...

When you see an upper case letter, play that
note in the lower octave of the whistle. If you
see a lower case letter, play that note on the
upper octave of the whistle. If there is a 2
after a letter, hold it twice as long.

So, this is a D scale from the lowest note on
a D whistle in ABC:

T: D scale
K: D
M: 4/4
L: 1/8
|DEFG| ABcd| efga| bcd2|

You can generally ignore the first 3 lines, which
tell the computer how the title, the key, etc.

The weird part is the lower case "c", which is
still actually part of the lower octave on a D
whistle. The | bars are just measure separators.
caedmon

Post by caedmon »

Just take it slowly and you will eventually learn how to read the music. Feel free to use whatever tricks you need to use along the way.

I started off not know how to read the clefs, and was using tab. For each of the songs I had in tab, it always had the music notation above it, so while learning the song, I was getting to know the music notation, as well. Then, I sat down and practiced transcribing out a song from sheet music, F#, B, A, etc. I would put a + above letter for upper octave as a reminder. Eventually, the note placement caught on and I was transcribing faster and faster. I am now trying to play some simple songs without writing out the note name first.

Just be patient and you will learn it.

If a drummer (me) can learn this, you can, too.
Chad Wilson

Some whistles, an old fiddle, an old banjo, a bass, a guitar and a bodhran
sfmans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

I really enjoy learning how to play the tin whistle but to be honest i can't read music so could anyone recommend a really basic tutorial that covers reading "ABC". No matter what happens i won't give up but being able to read the "ABC" would be a great help.
Have a look at the tutorial on my website, http://www.lesession.co.uk/abc, which may well cover what you're looking for ...

Cheers

Steve
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I learned ABC simply by googling it. I found quite a few in-depth explanations that helped me understand the basics... and for Irish music all you really need is a basic understanding as most of Irish music is very simply or "bare bones" notated.

Don't forget to develop that ear too. Learning to pick up tunes by ear is an invaluable tool as a player of Irish music.
Whistler Bard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Whistler Bard »

In my case I learned music sheet online, and now I use a mix of music sheet and by ear. To be honest I don't really like ABC notation.

I can try to find the .pdf with the music sheet learning method I used and send it to you if you're interested.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

fearfaoin wrote:ABC code wasn't really meant to be read by
humans. (Though it is based on a simple,
human-readable idea used by some music
teachers). It was designed to be converted
by computer to sheet music. But you can
mostly read it...
Surely this is hyperbole on your part? Jotting down tunes in abc has been around far longer than the personal computer. It was merely formalized into a standard thanks to the PC and social networking. And just because it can be interpreted into dots doesn't mean it's purpose is to create sheet music.

http://abcnotation.com/history.html

As is the case in many endeavors throughout time, Chris Walshaw stood on the shoulders of those that came before him. As he says in his first sentence, people have used similar notation practices for many years. Reading sheet music has never been a prerequisite for playing music. :)

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

sfmans wrote:Have a look at the tutorial on my website, http://www.lesession.co.uk/abc, which may well cover what you're looking for ...
Steve, your ABC tutorial is the best, clearest, most concise introduction to ABC notation I've seen, and I've referred people to it before. Many thanks for this, and welcome to the Chiffboard. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

solo wrote:Hello everyone!

Have a good day everyone and thanks for any and all help
I may be completely wide of the mark here, but do you mean "abc" as in the abc notation, or as in "how can I learn how to read the dots starting from the beginning?"
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Solo, is there a reason you absolutely want to learn to read ABC? Try learning by ear instead, from sound clips... you know, the only way irish music should be learnt :D
Fidget

Post by Fidget »

When I took up the whistle a few months ago, I just couldn't deal with the ABC notation.
I learned the fingering to match the dots, it came slowly but painlessly. Still can't deal with ABC and now that I follow the dots, I couldn't tell you what note I am playing without looking it up. but it's all working well for me.

Dave
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Every time I learn a new instrument, I say to myself, "Snot nosed grade school kids can figure this out." It works.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Learn the dots and you'll have literally thousands of tunes of many genres right at your fingertips. It's NOT hard!

Bill Ochs' tutor, The Clarke Tinwhistle starts you right out at zero and very slowly and gradually teaches you to read treble clef music (where Trad tunes are written). In addition, it will teach you simple tunes, progressing right up through fully ornamented jigs, reels, hornpipes etc. The CD that comes with the book lets you hear how it's supposed to sound.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

That IS a good site for ABC instruction. Bookmarking it now.

Thank you, Steve. :-)
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I've heard many people say you don't need to read music, and many who say you do.

I've heard many people say they're glad they learned to read music, but never a one who regrets having done it.

As Paul indicates, it probably takes about a full hour of concentration to learn it, and maybe four more to get good at it. Then you have a skill that will last a lifetime, (and won't stop you from developing your ear as well).
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde