No more Overton whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Darce
antispam: No

No more Overton whistles

Post by Darce »

I may be a little late posting this (mods: feel free to delete if it's already been posted) but apparently Overton whistles are no more. The brand name has been dropped and Colin Goldie is now producing "Goldie" brand whistles. Seems like a bit of a waste in my opinion. The Overton brand had a fantastic reputation built up over many years but then again I suppose Colin makes the whistles now so he is entitled to call them what he wants

http://www.colingoldie.de/
Last edited by Darce on Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
wizzywig

Re: No more Overton whistles

Post by wizzywig »

Darce wrote:I may be a little late posting this (mods: feel free to delete if it's already been posted) but apparently Overton whistles are no more. The brand name has been dropped and Colin Goldie is now producing "Goldie" brand whistles. Seems like a bit of a waste in my opinion. The Overton brand had a fantastic reputation built up over many years but then again I suppose Colin makes the whistles now so he is entitled to call them what he wants
...is he?

wiz
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Yes, it was discussed by Goldie, himself, here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71293
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Darce wrote:The Overton brand had a fantastic reputation built up over many years but then again I suppose Colin makes the whistles now so he is entitled to call them what he wants.

http://www.colingoldie.de/
Read the website and you'll find out why he has started calling them Goldies.
On the website Colin wrote:A year after Bernard Overton’s death the family put forward a new agreement in such a way that I decided to let go of the name Overton.
Colin himself has built up a pretty enviable reputation as a maker. I'm glad to see him "flying with his own wings," as the French say.

Good luck, Colin & Brigitte!
Darce

Post by Darce »

crookedtune wrote:Yes, it was discussed by Goldie, himself, here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71293
I was only 2 days behind the news - that's pretty good for me :wink:

Feel free to delete this thread mods
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

wizzywig wrote:
Darce wrote:Colin makes the whistles now so he is entitled to call them what he wants
...is he?
Yes. Evidently.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

MTGuru wrote:
wizzywig wrote:
Darce wrote:Colin makes the whistles now so he is entitled to call them what he wants
...is he?
Yes. Evidently.
No. Evidently. :poke:

I love the new Goldie name for these wonderful whistles, the apex of whistlecraft. Colin has so outshone his teacher over the past years that it is time to put his own name on his masterpieces.

Best wishes for Colin & Brigitte.
/Bloomfield
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Hereinafter to be referred to as "the really terriffic whistles made by that wonderful and talented gent and his equally wonderful and talented spouse." A tad long for the labels, but...

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

PhilO wrote:Hereinafter to be referred to as "the really terriffic whistles made by that wonderful and talented gent and his equally wonderful and talented spouse." A tad long for the labels, but...
There's plenty of room on the back - at least the back of a low D whistle. :D

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Mick Down Under

Post by Mick Down Under »

Bugger! Now I'm gonna have to buy another whistle, so's I got a Goldie Overton and a Goldie Goldie... :D

Mick
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
patrick Jacob

Post by patrick Jacob »

It's better name to, now he can advertise with:
"Goldie whistles, the whistle with the Golden sound" .
The name Overton was just a name, as Colin made these high quality whistles.

But the change of the name gave a much better website with beautifull whistle pics.

Patrick
MacNeil

Post by MacNeil »

Unfortunately, when I hear of "Goldie" whistles, all I can think of is...

:D
Raven Falls Photography
www.ravenfallsphotography.com
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

MacNeil wrote:Unfortunately, when I hear of "Goldie" whistles, all I can think of is...
Colin and Brigitte,

This bears considering.

They say about headlines and advertising text, "Anything that can be misunderstood will be misunderstood."

You might consider using "Colin Goldie" whistles as your brand, rather than just "Goldie." That makes it clearer that the whistle is the handiwork of a noted craftsman and not simply a whistle someone or other made and we're not sure what the name signifies. If you use the full name, people who aren't familiar with you will think, "Who is Colin Goldie?" which is exactly what you want them to do.

Best wishes,
Jerry
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Jerry Freeman wrote: You might consider using "Colin Goldie" whistles as your brand, rather than just "Goldie." That makes it clearer that the whistle is the handiwork of a noted craftsman and not simply a whistle someone or other made and we're not sure what the name signifies. If
I agree. A potential marketing issue with "Goldie" is that, for some reason, Pakistani and Indian companies like to use "Gold" and "Golden" in their names. There's even a company in Scotland that sells inexpensive stuff owned by a guy named Gold or Golden (I can't remember).
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Brigitte

Re: No more Overton whistles - could be seen CP

Post by Brigitte »

If you look at the website which is "www.colingoldie.com" we clearly in big writing on every page have "Colin Goldie Whistles". It is only the stamp that is "Goldie" on the whistles and from experience people will shorten it anyway to Goldie like with Bernard Overton, Mike Copeland, Chris Abell, Brian Howard, Mike Burke etc etc.

I personally think it is a nice name although in Germany it is not Goldie Hawn people connect it with but their hamster, goldfish, canaries and golden retrievers.... so I get lot of smiles and "oh wie süß" when I introduce myself :-D and I checked again if you google goldie whistles or colin goldie whistles the search will lead you to the website.

The website will be extended, we have on there what worked in the short time frame we had to get us up and running.... I am getting familiar to the system slowly so hopefully text changes and addons will go smoothly in the future but right now I am installing my new laptop and I think I have some more white hair since Thursday...

Best wishes
Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)