Mind Flexing-Game

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Mind Flexing-Game

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Are we, at long last, exploring our brain's potential through 'thought-powered' games?

http://www.mindflexgames.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Mind Flexing-Game

Post by Nanohedron »

Now that's interesting!
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dwest

Post by dwest »

Always get flat lines on my EEG so I reckon it won't work for me.
emmline

Post by emmline »

We'll see. If it works for real, and is any fun, we're bound to see variations springing forth on the market.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Someone buy one of these and tell us what you really think of this. My wife is curious but not $80 curious. For that much, she'd like the game to bring the potato chips to her.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Wasn't there a craze in the eighties for finding your own alpha-rhythms with a home EEG?

When I was a guinea-pig in Edinburgh University's Psychology Department, they showed me a phenomenon where subjects are observably more fidgety when someone is physically watching them through one of those window-mirrors. They're also observed by a camera, which doesn't have the same effect.
So far, it's unexplained, as far as I know. My idea is it's caused by the eyes operating like a "black body" (technical term in physics) sending a very fine beam of heat.

Harness THAT, game dudes!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Interesting. I think it works by blood pressure readings.

I note there is a dial on the front of the unit that people are turning in the demo - that'll move the fan around the ring. The headset is supposed to use brainwaves to determine how hard you're concentrating, and it makes contact with you at your temples and earlobes. The higher your concentration, the higher the fan blows.

Maybe a medical-type person can give a better answer, but I suspect that what the headset is measuring at temple and earlobe is related to blood pressure, or possibly pulse rate. When you're concentrating and exerting yourself you are probably also straining physically a bit, and raising your blood pressure. (certainly the people on the video were straining somewhat). When you stop concentrating, your blood pressure will go back down, and so will the ball.

I think it certainly works, but maybe not for the reason they suggest.
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Wasn't there a craze in the eighties for finding your own alpha-rhythms with a home EEG?

When I was a guinea-pig in Edinburgh University's Psychology Department, they showed me a phenomenon where subjects are observably more fidgety when someone is physically watching them through one of those window-mirrors. They're also observed by a camera, which doesn't have the same effect.
So far, it's unexplained, as far as I know. My idea is it's caused by the eyes operating like a "black body" (technical term in physics) sending a very fine beam of heat.

IB, were they tested in the following conditions too?

Subjects were told they were being observed through the window, but they weren't really.
Subjects were not being told they were being observed, but they were.
Innocent Bystander

avanutria wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:Wasn't there a craze in the eighties for finding your own alpha-rhythms with a home EEG?

IB, were they tested in the following conditions too?

Subjects were told they were being observed through the window, but they weren't really.
Subjects were not being told they were being observed, but they were.
Oh yes. It's a proper psychology department, with a good reputation. They understand methodology. I asked the same question. And watched it in action.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I once bought a game from Wild Divine.
http://www.wilddivine.com/
It came with a USB finger sensors, which worked
using the changes in the skin's electrical resistance
and probably had some kind of heartbeat detection.
It was interesting for a little while (you could make
a pinwheel onscreen turn by blowing), but the
gameplay got really boring. They were focusing too
much on trying to teach you biofeedback techniques
and on being New Age. I think if someone can tighten
the controls up, they might be able to get some
interesting games out that don't rely on the novelty.
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Oh yes. It's a proper psychology department, with a good reputation. They understand methodology. I asked the same question. And watched it in action.
Didn't mean to suggest they weren't. :) Sounds like a fascinating paper, would love to read it if you ever come across it again.
Pammy

Post by Pammy »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
When I was a guinea-pig in Edinburgh University's Psychology Department,
mmm that explains a lot :poke:
Innocent Bystander

Have you worked out the reason for the nightmares and the blinding headache yet?
Pammy

Post by Pammy »

What me?????? :)
Life is good!!!
Even when I am Miss Understood!!!
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

It's probably skin galvanic response, like those little lie detector kits they used to sell at radio shack. If you concentrate, the resistance goes down which increases fan speed and makes the ball go up - a very simple electronic circuit can do that.

On the little Radio Shack lie detector kits, you could turn on the tone and calm down and walk barefoot through the grass and tone would go down to just a few clicks. If you strain, the frequency goes up.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D