How do you record your whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MichaelG
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MichaelG »

I'm using a <a href="http://www.samsontech.com/products/prod ... 4"><b>ZOOM PS-02</b></a>. It records to SmartMedia. I use a a SM reader on my laptop and do a little processing and MP3 conversion using <a href="http://www.goldwave.com/">GoldWave</a>.

I got the PS-02 a year ago to practice and make demos w/ guitar. It's built-in mic works fine for whistle as well.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Michael,

For recording whistle in the home studio, I use a Shure SM-57 --> Art tube mic preamp --> Behringer 4 channel mixer. Computer software is Cool Edit Pro.

C&F people could use the Internet to do virtual recording sessions. Imagine sending a file to New York for a singer to do a vocal track, Aspen for a whistler, then SoCal for guitar tracks! :grin:

Gary
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Actually, cskinner has been heading up something like that. I believe Kesh Jig has made the rounds, and last I heard there was discussion of what tune to do next.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I use a Sony MS-Something 907 mike, a iMic USB thingamajig and various shareware Mac recorder programs.
/Bloomfield
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

A few months ago, I purchased recording gear which would produce professional quality recordings yet still meet the moderate budget of a pro or of a serious musician wanting to go pro.
Included in the purchase are the following:
1.)a Korg D1600 16 track digital recorder($1400),
2.)a TC Electronics M300 Reverb/Digital Delay($700),
3.)a Shure KSM 27 Microphone($350),
4.)two Mackie 824 Studio Monitors($1300/pr).
5.)a Boss DR770 Drum Machine($400) and
6.)a Yamaha S80 Keyboard($1400).
With cables, a keyboard case and taxes, I spent about $6,500 on the whole set up which is much less than an album recording session would cost at a studio.
The Korg D1600 came with a 20gig hard drive and a CD burner for recording masters. It was the best "feature-per-price" valued multi-track available this past fall(2002).
The TC Elec. M300 Reverb/Dig. Delay is what provides the magic stardust to the professional recorded sound.
$400 for a mic when you can pick one up for $20 at Best Buy? Quality In/Quality Out. You want a mic which has a full dynamic range, and is able to faithfully capture and transmit across the whole frequency spectrum. The Shure KSM 27 is a very popular recording mic among the top studios.
Regarding speakers, I sampled every set of speakers in Mars Music, and Guitar Center(two mega stores) here in Oklahoma City and found that most all of the speakers fell short in reproducing the full frequency spectrum, except the Mackie 824s. The Mackie 824s are a popular item in the pro recording studios.
I am very pleased with the recording results which I am getting.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Gary is on to something important, here. Dealing with pure digital, as many of us do, the almost metallic sheen that is put on the overall sound of the recorded whistle by the technology can be unpleasant. No matter what your mic of choice, running it through an inexpensive tube pre-amp, such as the ART and others, creates a warmth, overall, and makes the product much more pleasant.

We deal with a lot of DAW's and digital gear in my studio, and both own and have access to a lot of tube mics and pre-amps. These tube devices make a world of difference...

My .02...

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
MichaelG

Post by MichaelG »

Nice rig, Cinead.

Let me also mention that, although I subscribe to TapeOp, I'm not serious about recording. Heck, I'm not even a serious hobbyist when it comes to recording.

I'm more a virtual recording hobbyist.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MichaelG on 2003-01-27 13:51 ]</font>
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

All this looks very "techno"....any advice for someone just wanting to play around with recording, other than a cassette?

R.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

it's better to record your whistle than to whistle your recorder...
TubeDude

Post by TubeDude »

On 2003-01-27 14:59, spittin_in_the_wind wrote:
All this looks very "techno"....any advice for someone just wanting to play around with recording, other than a cassette?

R.
Here's an article on the basics. http://danielpemberton.com/writing/bedguide.html

People like to use the computer because, after you read the instructions, it's as easy as using a word processor. IE - cut and paste, copy, save, format, edit, options, etc.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I think I'll take this opportunity to plug the Clips and Snips site. C&F members have been sending in mp3 files of themselves, including collaborations from across the world, and they are available to hear at the site. (look below for link.) The separate message board is also related to the site and I post updates there every time there is one. Five tunes were posted yesterday.

To get as basic as possible with recording, you should have workable software with your sound card for recording yourself directly to the computer. Look in Accessories. You'll need a program for converting your saved file to mp3. There are free ones at mp3.com

I use Goldwave for everything. It's downloadable from goldwave.com for about $45 They used to have a trial version for free. They probably still do. (It's about the only program I have that doesn't crash Windows.)

Recording yourself is a fabulous learning tool. It can be discouraging, but hey. The act of playing into the microphone takes a special discipline that will force you to really pay attention to what you're doing.
It's remorseless and won't lie to you.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

I use a Radio Shack electret mic with a windscreen both for whistles and acoustic guitar. On the whistle, I fasten it between the fipple and the top finger hole with a rubber band, facing the fipple. On the guitar, I simply drop it inside the sound hole.

I plug my electric guitar and bass directly into the sound card.

My sound editor is Cool Edit 2000 with Studio plug-in.
2nd Wind

Post by 2nd Wind »

...or you can use Windows to record and make your MP3 files. It's always served the purpose for me. Good for a beginner I guess and if you don't have any software or great soundcard. http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... forum=1&12