IKEA flute stand!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Re: IKEA flute stand!

Post by Rob Sharer »

Anybody else nervous about metal pegs in the bore of a wooden flute? Sounds like a bad idea, Ikea.

Rob
highwood
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by highwood »

Sounds like a bad idea
I would second that thought.

the stand I have for my oboe and english horn are wood and have a rubber o-ring as well.
“When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except put up with it until the wind changes.” T.S. Elliot
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Rob Sharer wrote:Anybody else nervous about metal pegs in the bore of a wooden flute? Sounds like a bad idea, Ikea. Rob
If the pics are accurate, we're talking smooth brushed metal with a rounded top, no obvious sharpness or roughness - no wouldn't worry me particularly. I would check the spikes carefully first, though, and probably put a rubber or foam pad ring around the spike-base to protect the end of the instrument where it rests its weight down.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

One of my rules is "never put anything harder than blackwood into the bore of a blackwood flute." The potential for scratching the bore is just too high, even with those rounded edges; the bore's going to rub against them and you'll probably get scratches or rings inside the bore over time, affecting the sound of the flute (possibly for the better but you never know).

Good flute makers will supply you with a cleaning rod made out of either the same or a softer wood than the wood your flute was made from. They do that for a reason!

Years ago a friend of mine made a simple flute stand out of a plank of wood with holes for dowells. The holes were drilled in the side for storage, and another set of holes drilled through the broad surface for use as a stand. For traveling you keep the dowels in their storage holes in the side of the plank, and then when you want to use it as a stand you pull the dowels out and stick them in the holes in the broad surface of the plank. It works well except that the dowels have a tendency to swell in the plank from the moisture of the flute, making them hard to pull out. If I still have the thing I'll post a picture here.
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

There are no rough edges on a good, metal cleaning rod, and yet we don't use those...do we?

Unless those rods are polished glassy smooth, they could scratch the bore. I see enough texture to do that, plus that edge where it transitions from a cylinder to the domed end looks unkind.

Rob

p.s. Crossed Brad here......he's dead right.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Good points about the bores, gentlemen. Perhaps some lengths of 3/8" ID rubber or vinyl tubing over the pegs might address that concern?

I'd be less worried about use for metal bodied whistles, at least those without internal bore perturbations.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Here's the stand I mentioned up above. This was made for me in the early 1990s; it has held up pretty well although some of the dowels don't go in all the way anymore (as you can see by their different heights when assembled). But this is a good solution; if you know someone with a drill press you could make one of these in an hour or so.

Here's the stand as it is used for traveling or in storage:

Here it is with the dowels pulled out of their storage holes and set up as a stand:

Not sure how the nicks in the dowels got there, probably from when I had to wrench them out of the holes when they swelled with moisture from the flute.
Pammy

Post by Pammy »

Well I still have my vase
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Rob Sharer wrote:Anybody else nervous about metal pegs in the bore of a wooden flute?
Yeah, I agree, not bore friendly. I didn't have flutes in mind when I bought it. After I got the lid rack home, whistles did come to mind. But I make my own wooden whistle and flute stands. If you aren't in the DIY camp this is an option for a modest outlay of cash. So is the little wooden Fanby rack. They work quite nicely for your ubiquitous metal-tube, plastic-head whistles. Maybe we should post a thread in the whistle forum for those that don't stop in here. Here is a picture, Rationell Veriera or the left, Fanby on the right.

The pegs do have a brushed finish, are slightly rounded at the tip and aren't particularly abrasive. Still, I thought, just as Jem, that wrapping them in a soft tubing would work on wooden instruments. The pegs really are too short to safely support an assembled flute, IMO.

Like MTGuru, I just like it when people see things from a different perspective than others.

Feadoggie
Last edited by Feadoggie on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Masking tape is my universal solution for many tasks. There are two major types of tape people: duck tape people and masking tape people, like myself. Silvery duct tape simply will not do for many of the important tasks for instrument maintenance. For anyone worried about abrasion of their bores, I see masking tape as a good solution.
Denny

Post by Denny »

I'm with Doug, that's a masking tape job!

but, what about use that use more kinds a tape?

duct, masking, electrical, and strapping

not to sell bailing twine/wire short, but that is a different issue...
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Feadoggie wrote:Maybe we should post a thread in the whistle forum for those that don't stop in here.
Good idea, Feadoggie. I'll post a link.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Denny wrote: duct, masking, electrical, and strapping.
Personally I hanker after one of these:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/giftsforhim/5f21/

This is the king of the duct tape wallets. :)
Denny

Post by Denny »

the grommet is certainly a nice touch! :thumbsup:
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Denny wrote:the grommet is certainly a nice touch! :thumbsup:
Just be careful whose grommet you touch! Cor, grommets on C&F. Who'd've thunk it?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads