Let's end the ignorance :)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Geraint
antispam: No

Re: Let's end the ignorance :)

Post by Geraint »

I.D.10-t wrote:
Are your ducks in a Rose?
Ooooh, I dunno. I'll check.

Hope I didn't put the Carte before the Rose...
Tri pheth sy'n anodd nabod....
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Geraint wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:
Are your ducks in a Rose?
Ooooh, I dunno. I'll check.

Hope I didn't put the Carte before the Rose...
Well, if we put all the horse s**t (from the equines behind the vehicles) here on the Roses, would they smell (?play?) as sweet?

And don't call me "ducks"!

"Duck, you suckers!"
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Denny

Post by Denny »

I can load....

We don't have near enough roses :tomato:
Jim Troy

Post by Jim Troy »

He was from Crediton you say , surely you mean Crediton ? ( local pronunciation ; kehrtn)
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I'm still going to say "Ruddle" ...

Also, I'm surprised you didn't chip in there, Jem, about Totnes ... I've always pronounced it TOT-ness, but I seem to recall you had a totally different pronunciation ...

Mind you, having been up to the Kyle of Lochalsh recently, I was surprised to find that the locals pronounced it "Sh*thole" ... so, as you say, Bowjest, sometimes you just can't tell from the spelling ...

[btw I still feel just as ignorant]
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

jemtheflute wrote:So, this was a long answer where a short one should have sufficed: ROO-dl is the correct pronunciation.
Dammit, Jem. I'm getting whiplash.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

benhall.1 wrote:I'm still going to say "Ruddle" ...
Well, I suppose you're entitled to insist on being wrong about something - just to keep you feeling human and the rest of us thinking we might have a chance......
benhall.1 wrote:Also, I'm surprised you didn't chip in there, Jem, about Totnes ... I've always pronounced it TOT-ness, but I seem to recall you had a totally different pronunciation ...
I didn't chip in because I've erratically pronounced it both ways (I think) and also evenly stressed on both syllables (I lived in the vicinity from age 13-18 and went to school there...) and still do. I think where I place the emphasis kinda depends on verbal context, e.g. "I used to live near TOTnes," with a downward final inflexion of the voice, or "I'm going to TOTnes Market", but "I visited TOT-NES Castle yesterday." with level tone and emphasis. Actually, trying to think of an example, I don't think I would pronounce or have often pronounced it with a clear second syllable dominance, though that might creep in occasionally; perhaps "TotNES is a funny place", though that could just as well be "TOTnes is....". But then, as an in-comer my pronunciation is not necessarily that of a true native - I may have partially acquired a pronunciation from such folk but also non-local variants from my parents and other varners.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Nanohedron wrote:
jemtheflute wrote:So, this was a long answer where a short one should have sufficed: ROO-dl is the correct pronunciation.
Dammit, Jem. I'm getting whiplash.
Nano, that was Robert Bigio, not me, and I have said "Roodl" all along, whilst acknowledging I didn't have proper back-up evidence previously and that the derivation Ben found made sense in itself (but proved nowt pertinent).
Last edited by jemtheflute on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Oh, well. Maybe I'll just take to putting on airs and pronounce it "rueDOLL". :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

rue doll
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

That's just plain ROO-dle.