Autographs and getting things signed.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Ceili_whistle_man
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Autographs and getting things signed.

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

I have a friend who used to be a DJ who has lived through the vinyl and tape days, and through to CD’s and mp3’s etc.
He was talking (with great fervour) about how he had all these original release vinyl albums and singles that he had over the years gotten signed by the artists.
I asked him why he got his albums signed and he could not think of a reason other than along the lines of ‘It’s because they are the artists who recorded them’.
He said he didn’t do it for the monetary value that a lot of these signed albums now have, he wasn’t thinking of that when they were being signed and he has no intention of ever selling them.
Just why do people want albums signed?
I was at a show once (a famous traditional Irish band on tour) where the band members were signing CD’s after the show. I went to buy a CD and was handed one that was signed by all the band members, so I asked if I could have one that was unsigned. The guy behind the stall looked at me like I had the plague or something and he was a bit pissed off that he had to open a box from under the counter that had non-signed CD’s in it.
I played in a band that did a fairly big gig with lots of other bands and I was asked by a woman afterwards if we had any CD’s for sale. The guy who ran the band had a few home made jobs that he had brought with him so he offered one of these to her.
She then asked me if I would sign it and I politely said no. She was slightly taken aback by that and I am sure she thinks I was strange.
I could never understand why people collect autographs or have things signed with ‘personal’ messages on them like ‘To Rita, love from Sting’ or such like.
So, what is the reason behind wanting an autograph or having an item signed?

(edit for typo)
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Re: Autographs and getting things signed.

Post by fearfaoin »

Anyone can buy an unsigned CD from a store.
But if you go and see the performer, a signed
copy shows that you were there. You met the
man himself. You were part of the experience.
It makes the CD feel more "special" than any
regular store-bought CD.

Also, we apply a strange attributes to celebrity
and maybe we're hoping some of that will rub
off with the signature?
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Why do folks collect anything? I don't understand how anyone can not understand, even if they may not seek autographs themselves. Most people like autographs, they have for a long time.

These days, more than a few autograph seekers are profiteers, looking to flip their treasures for money, and then get more autographs.

An autograph transforms what might be otherwise an impersonal cold item into something with an aura of personal touch. Especially these the days when most items come from a big box store, or from the even more impersonal online venue, an autograph is a separator, a personal touch, in a world that no longer has that.

I don't understand why a person would refuse to give autographs if that person has the time, and the seeker is making a purchase. To me that person refusing has some issues, unless it is a matter of time restrictions or other clear explanations.
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

If possible, I always get an autograph on a CD if I buy it from the artist at a concert or show. Even when the artist is a friend, not necessarily someone famous, I still like to have it signed. I even go to the length of disassembling the CD case, and having the artist sign on the back page of the CD - the one under the tray (is that the "J-card"?), then putting it back together after the signing, thereby sealing the signature within the jewel case. I've found that over the years, the usually often removed CD booklet gets tattered, stained or lost, and so would the autograph.
I don't do it for any reason other than it gives the CD that personal touch. I have no delusions that the CD is somehow more monetarily valuable, but it means more to me.
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

An autograph is a thing that has changed over time.

It was a late Victorian fad, to get samples of peoples' style of handwriting, and pithy little verses of poetry, and little thought-provoking snippets, or even amusing anecdotes. You might want Aunt Mabel's autograph, not because she was famous, or had chosen a pretty piece of poetry, but because her handwriting was very good. When you asked for someone's autograph, they would take your autograph book home with them, and if they did not have something prepared, they might take a week to come up with something, and practice writing it on sheets of paper before committing it to then book in question.

Particularly famous folk were expected to have something prepared, and do their autograph on the spot, and the handwriting would be ignored for the sake of the personality.
Possibly it was inarticulate sports figures who first got away with simply writing their names, or "all the best...".

Take a look at the signatures on these forum posts. They are much more like autographs used to be.

Nowadays, it's just hunting a signature for the famous name. The whole thing is degraded and decadent.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Pammy

Post by Pammy »

Ceili_whistle_man wrote: I played in a band that did a fairly big gig with lots of other bands and I was asked by a woman afterwards if we had any CD’s for sale. The guy who ran the band had a few home made jobs that he had brought with him so he offered one of these to her.
She then asked me if I would sign it and I politely said no. She was slightly taken aback by that and I am sure she thinks I was strange.
I think, as she had asked, you should have signed it for her. It's not like it would cost you anything. She obviously enjoyed your music and it is a wonderful compliment to be asked. If I was her, that would have spoiled my evening I think.

Decadent? IB?
Life is good!!!
Even when I am Miss Understood!!!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

fearfaoin wrote:
off with the signature?
Yup-- that's why I had Joanie Madden autograph my Thin Weasel case, and Jake Shimabukuro autograph a ukulele. (Do a search for Jake on YouTube if you're not familiar). It can't hurt :)
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I have heard that cursive writing is becoming so obsolete that soon it may no longer be taught in school. Then, folks, we are going to have to put up with printed signatures, which in my mind will simply not be the same.
Denny

Post by Denny »

I was so ahead of the curve on that!!!!
'bout the 8th grade, I think.....
Ceili_whistle_man

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

fearfaoin wrote;
if you go and see the performer, a signed
copy shows that you were there. You met the
man himself. You were part of the experience.
It makes the CD feel more "special" than any
regular store-bought CD.
I have been to shows and bought CD’s afterwards, I don’t need to have them signed to make them ‘special’. The autograph doesn’t change anything recorded on the CD (apart from it’s appearance).
fearfaoin wrote;
off with the signature?
That could well be it fearfaoin, although it doesn’t apply in my case. :wink:

BillChin wrote;
I don't understand how anyone can not understand,

I can understand folk collecting all sorts of things from whistles to pistles and thimbles to cymbals, but I could never fathom the need to have a particular persons autograph.
BillChin wrote;
I don't understand why a person would refuse to give autographs… To me that person refusing has some issues,
The thing is, we didn’t have a stall set up to sell anything, we were packing up our gear after the show when the lady in question approached our band leader.
He had a couple of home made recordings with him that he gave to her (not sold), and at the time I was embarrassed to sign it, I still wouldn’t have signed it even if it was a professional recording.

Pammy wrote;
If I was her, that would have spoiled my evening I think

No, on the contrary Pammy, she was clearly quite delighted to get a CD with about 30 tracks on it for nothing. Our leader, John, told her she could burn off copies to give to her friends if she wanted.

Thanks for the little history lesson there Innocent Bystander, interesting stuff. :thumbsup:

Well, I think I understand the whole wanting an autograph thing a little bit better, I don't think it's bad, but I still think it’s a bit strange. :D
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
dwest

Post by dwest »

I usually autograph(sign) my art work. In the future I don't want some poor little old lady showing up on Antiques Road Show not getting as much as she should for one of my paintings just because I didn't sign it. Art is Art whether visual or audible.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

A corollary to this topic is the manner in which we sign our work. Paintings, pottery, etc. are usually signed by hand with the maker's signature or maker's mark. Other objects, such as musical instruments, often are engraved with the maker's logo. With flutes, for example, many modern makers have turned to laser engraving to mark their flutes. I mark my pvc flutes with simple hand engraving, which, I have been told, doesn't look as professional as laser engraving. However, in my mind there is something very personal about having the object marked by hand by the maker.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Pammy wrote:
Decadent? IB?

Yes. What?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Denny

Post by Denny »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
Pammy wrote:
Decadent? IB?

Yes. What?
might be an invite!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

It's a status symbol.

I am a great proliferator of fake signatures by the author/creator. Sometimes, I write a personal message to me and give this treasured gift to a friend. Sometimes, I write a message from the author to the friend and sometimes I mention me. Many people fall for this. Many people fall for this even when the book was printed after the author died. Only every now & then does someone notice this. The children in our lives think we know everyone.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦