OT: I am now a Reverend.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

I just want to let everyone know that several minutes ago I received my official certification as a Reverend from the Universal Life Church on-line. I am now legally certified to conduct weddings, etc.
So.... I expect you all to address me as the Reverend Christopher S. Laughlin from now on.
Thank you,
Chris
P.S. - If anyone needs to be married, I'll do it cheaply and throw in some flute playing for free!
Feadan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

Been there...done that...many years ago.
You should have posted a link to the Universal Life Church so everyone can be so endowed.

Cheers,
Rev. David de la Barre
TelegramSam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TelegramSam »

lol that is so sad...

jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Reverend Laughlin, make sure you have followed all the local ordinances about registering yourself and so forth before committing to performing any weddings. Your ordination alone is not sufficient in most jurisdictions.

Congratulations and Best Wishes,

Reverend McCabe
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Mazel Tov! Do they offer an online Rabbinate too?
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Hey Chris, did you know Skip Healy is also a reverend?
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Congratulations all.

Now, for a wee lesson in forms of address, according to my holy book of some years ago, the Associated Press Stylebook.

Your correct title is "THE Rev. So-and-so." Should you also hold a Ph.D., you are "the Rev. Dr. Thus-and-such." AP considers "reverend" to be a description as much as a title.

Thus endeth the first lesson.

M :wink:
Marguerite
Gettysburg
livethe question

Post by livethe question »

Hey Rev,

I haven't been keeping up with our Ruuummmmbble thread. Does this mean our side can now be blessed and ours become a holy calling. We can adopt Dylan's song "With God on Our Side" as our anthem.

jim
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

On 2003-01-26 20:20, brewerpaul wrote:
Mazel Tov! Do they offer an online Rabbinate too?
Hey Paul! I can beat my sister to ordination!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

mee too! Although I haven't sent away for all the official stuff (certificate, etc...).

:wink:
fatveg

Post by fatveg »

Before everyone gets carried away, if you have children think hard before you get ordained. I'm a Pastor's son, and believe me, everything they say about Pastors' sons is true!
<i>"Music is more like water than a rinoceros. It doesn't chase madly down one path. It runs away in every direction" - E. Costello</i>
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I second that fatveg! I am a PK (Priest's Kid/Pastor's Kid) as well and it's not fun. I was actually a fairly well-behaved PK, maybe because my dad also was the Chief of Police (yes, an Episcopal priest and a cop at the same time). So I really had high expectations to live up to! Fortunately I am also the youngest of six, so my siblings had pretty much done it all before.

Beth
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I checked the website. Anybody
can become an ordained minister
in 3 minutes, regardless of what
they believe, etc. I know they've
been around for a long while,
since the 60s. I'm curious,
why are they doing this? Best
Paul

Post by Paul »

As I understand, It was started during the depression (or after?) so that people could easily form churches for some type of exemption. It has been a long time since I was told about it so I don't really remember the exact details.

-Paul
one-tin-soldier

Post by one-tin-soldier »

jeez rev., I sure hope you did not give them your real name and address. I hope if the FBI shows up at your door, they do not affiliate you with the C&F board, I'd hate to see it shut down!

I just finished a search about these guys on the internet, it was really scary!! Run away, run far away!!

Cheryl