What would an O'Riordan whistle sell for on eBay?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jmiller
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jmiller »

I have an unused O'Riordan Traveler Low G which I would like to get a good price for. What price should I expect it to sell for it on eBay?
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hmmm, probably not more than about $12. But I'll give you $15 for it right now!

(Hey, it's worth a try!!) :wink:
Steven
fatveg

Post by fatveg »

... I bid $17
(Worth a try II)
(hey, we've got our very own e-bay system. And we don't need ratings -- we just need to show a person's 'cutie-pie' rating. No, wait, I'd get a zero...)
<i>"Music is more like water than a rinoceros. It doesn't chase madly down one path. It runs away in every direction" - E. Costello</i>
livethe question

Post by livethe question »

I'll bid $19. Let us know when it goes on Ebay. The O'Riordan low G is on my "to get" list. What kind of shape is it in?

jim

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: livethe question on 2003-01-26 12:59 ]</font>
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

You're kidding, right? You're probably just baiting me, but ok. I've posted often that it is the finest whistle, IMHO, I've ever played. I already have one. You could probably sell it (assuming you're not kidding just for the moment)on E-Bay for a really good price, likely more than that wonderful gent Patrick charges for them; the purchaser would also likely be a Board member. You could also sell it here rather quickly I imagine to people who really want it and are on the waiting list for one or to others who know a good deal and would resell it perhaps.

All of this sort of makes Loren's point about the market place realities in that everyone has a right to ask whatever they want especially since they don't know whether a buyer is just aiming for resale, which is ok too and happens all the time, including people who just later change their minds about the whistle.

Ok, enough Philo blather. Anyway, I know at least one person on the Board who would likely want this (not me). OTOH, I'd take it and trade it for another great whistle that I don't yet have. Yeah that's it, I'll take it after all.

Just kidding.

You'll likely get a quick and easy sale either on this Board or on e-bay. To my tastes, it's an incredible whistle. I will not speculate on prices.

Good luck.

Philo
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I won't guess what you'll get on eBay, but if you word your ad well and include a photo, you'll probably do OK. I'm new to whistles, but experienced in marketing, and I've followed whistles on eBay.

Do I remember correctly that O'Riorden is a legendary Irish whistle maker who's now in his 70s (or do I have him confused with someone else)? I would certainly recommend that you work up some descriptive text for the whistle and a narrative about the whistle maker, emphasizing that this is a special whistle that whistle afficionados covet.

Best wishes,
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

It's an O'Riordan, so it should fetch a decent price on name alone. But it's in low G, which isn't as in demand as the D's.

Part of it depends on your descriptions, pics, and whether or not you can include a good sound. When I was selling whistles on E-Bay, I often got significantly more than same-brand/same-key instruments selling at the same time as mine. I attribute this mostly to posting sound clips. If the instrument sounds good, let people hear it. It'll help them decide if they want to bid.

All that said, I'd expect you'd get a fairly decent price for your O'Riordan.
Kim in Tulsa

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

Be sure and let me know when you sell it! I probably won't bid, but I would love to watch the auction!

I'm sure it would be an exciting auction!

K
"Whistling women and crowing hens never come to no good end"
serpent

Post by serpent »

Tell you what - save yourself some trouble and embarrassment, and let me take it off your hands for $US 50 bucks. These pikers offering you $17 or so are trying to play you for a rube. Hey, since you're such a nice guy, I'll even pay the shipping!
Cheers, :grin:
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
livethe question

Actually I was hoping to pick it up so I could dissect it to pick up some pointers on making my own out of an old piece of aluminum I have. :smile:

jim

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: livethe question on 2003-01-26 17:42 ]</font>
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Alright Serpent, new rule: Makers cannot buy whistles here, that's it, yeah! Therefore, I'm now offering $51.50, and I'll also throw in shipping and insurance. Then, Jim we can dissect that baby at your leisure.

Oh, another new rule: No more bids allowed after someone with the initials PDO bids on a Sunday.

There, it's done.

Philo
livethe question

Sounds good to me Philo!

If we're really careful, we can dissect it to learn all it's secrets and then super glue it back together and get our money back.

jim
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

Just for the record, I'm having my name legally changed to "The Winning Bidder", so I claim this whistle and all future really nice whistles to be auctioned as mine.
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
Mr.Nate
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mr.Nate »

Isn't it really sad when someone asks a simple question and then has his thread taken over with useless chit chat?
Your just afraid to tell him that it could easily go for 200 to 400$ to the right person
serpent

Post by serpent »

I'm not afraid to tell him that -- just not silly enough! Now you've messed it all up for all of us! Thanks a lot, dude!
:grin:
serp
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"