Joannie Madden

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
gorjuswrex
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Joannie Madden

Post by gorjuswrex »

Great player. Mighty example of her with Brian Conway, Billy Mc Comiskey and Felix making wonderful music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VVozXGoRzA

My reason for posting-

I think the sound and style she gets from the Metal Boehm is mighty. I've admired her playing for years. I know next to nothing about Boehm flutes. Obviously Joannie plays these in preference to the more usual system for Irish flute. Does anyone know if also plays simple system wooden flute. To me if I didn't know I would think that is what she is playing. For other metal Boehm players I've heard I would say they don't sound quite the same. Just wondered why she goes for Metal Boehm in preference. I have some idea of the relative merits of simple v. Boehm; I'm particularly wondering if anyone knows what Joannie herself says on the subject.
Denny
antispam: No

Re: Joannie Madden

Post by Denny »

there is a bit in this http://www.chiffandfipple.com/joanie.html

I think that the Boehm was what she could get when she started playing flute.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I notice she is not using a truly 'classical' grip on her right hand. I can't tell if she is using a plateau or open-holed keyed flute.
Having had the pleasure of attending a Masters' Class with Jimmy (now Sir James) Galway, I can attest to the fact that a trained embouchure can get any darned sound you might want out of a modern cut embouchure. . . .
I think by shortening up on her right hand grip she gets a little snappier response on the taps and rolls. . . and she's got to have a very well adjusted mechanism to cut down on key clatter. . . .
My tup'pence worth. . .
Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Denny

Post by Denny »

plateau....I think

I don't believe she cuts with a right hand finger (L1 or L3)
The Boehm reacts differently to cuts

There is quite a bit in Grey Larsen's book about her adaptations
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

'I play a solid silver heavy weight Miyazawa (Japanese make) concert flute.'
from Dale's interview. I believe this is a very expensive flute.
When they get this good the keys are very quiet to silent.
Bet the ranch it has 'open' holes.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

gorjuswrex wrote:Great player. Mighty example of her with Brian Conway, Billy Mc Comiskey and Felix making wonderful music.
Check out the CD:

Just wondered why she goes for Metal Boehm in preference. I have some idea of the relative merits of simple v. Boehm; I'm particularly wondering if anyone knows what Joannie herself says on the subject.
Joannie posts here form time to time, so she might answer directly, but if I'm remembering correctly, she began playing at a time when wooden flutes were extremely difficult to find, particularly in north America*. A friend of her father's was going to Ireland, and he offered to try and find a flute for Joannie. When he returned, it was to say that he'd no luck finding a wooden flute, but he did have a silver flute for her. She was disappointed, but has since made peace with her flute.

*Even the great Mike Rafferty was reduced to playing a boehm flute when he started playing again until he met Patrick Olwell.
Last edited by s1m0n on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Denny

Post by Denny »

yep....they don't seem to offer closed hole

they aren't terribly expensive (a bit over $12k fer silver)

does come with Straubinger Pads
and, I think, a headjoint..... :D
Akiba
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

One significant adaptation JM has made to play ITM on the Boehm is to use R2 instead of the recommended R3 finger for F#--I believe it makes rolls possible as well as playing in the key of D a bit easier.

For my ear, I still think the metal flute lacks that extra character that comes from a wood flute. Hard to describe but it's like the metal flute is too even and smooth, too in tune throughout the scale; lacks the "crunchy" bits to my ears, similar to the "uneven" sound of the Uillean pipes but to a lesser degree.
Denny

Post by Denny »

I've never met anyone that wasn't a classically abused flute player that used XXX OOX for f# :lol:
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Denny wrote:I've never met anyone that wasn't a classically abused flute player that used XXX OOX for f# :lol:
That would be me. The classical fingering above does get a better, more in-tune, fatter sounding f#, FWIW.
Denny

Post by Denny »

yep.....drives the sax players crazy though :)
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

Joannie is an amazing player - I think she can get that sound because that is the sound she is after. I'm sure if she wanted a dark crunchy sound she would make it sound that way.

I'd stumbled across that video before while looking for vids of her. Thanks for sharing.

Deisman
I'm on it...
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

When I played with her at an Augusta session a few years ago I remember noting it as a closed-hole flute, or else the holed keys were corked.
Of course, I was mostly focusing on not humiliating myself in front of her, so it was a bit of a blur ...
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
gorjuswrex
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gorjuswrex »

s1m0n wrote: Joannie posts here form time to time, so she might answer directly, but if I'm remembering correctly, she began playing at a time when wooden flutes were extremely difficult to find, particularly in north America*. A friend of her father's was going to Ireland, and he offered to try and find a flute for Joannie. When he returned, it was to say that he'd no luck finding a wooden flute, but he did have a silver flute for her. She was disappointed, but has since made peace with her flute.

*Even the great Mike Rafferty was reduced to playing a boehm flute when he started playing again until he met Patrick Olwell.
I have never played Boehm but would it be fair to say that as she is a whistle player she could easily swop to simple system wooden if she wanted now they are easily available?
Denny

Post by Denny »

I seem to remember her saying that she didn't want to....

CTL plays quite a bit in simple system not friendly keys