Newbie Kind of weird question

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mandoboy

Newbie Kind of weird question

Post by mandoboy »

So I have been playing about 9 months now and took my flute to a session the other night. After getting over my "stage fright" on the first tune I started, I was able to start a few tunes (slower than our usual pace) but everyone came in and it was fun.

Then I started a tune that apparently no one else knew. It was an Air and I was playing it nicely just accompanied by the guitar backup. Then on the second time through, a little bit of spittle got caught on the corner of my mouth. I tried to keep going, but it was disturbing the airstream and the sound was going to hell quickly. I had to just stop playing, deal with it and start up again. Since I was the only one playing melody, it was quite obvious.

If this happens when the whole group is playing it isn't really such a big deal. No one probably notices. But when you are playing solo, no one can help but notice.

How does one best deal with this problem?

Thanks.
Jeff
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Newbie Kind of weird question

Post by crookedtune »

Insert a meaningful pause, and deal with it as the audience ponders your artistic statement. :)
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

How does one best deal with this problem?

By accepting that it happens to everybody, it will happen to you again, and not to worry about it.

On the other hand, IMO airs are meant to be played solo and they can be seen as an indulgence in a group setting.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Aren't folks supposed to fall on their swords or something?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Liney Bear

Post by Liney Bear »

Julia Delaney wrote:How does one best deal with this problem?

By accepting that it happens to everybody, it will happen to you again, and not to worry about it.

On the other hand, IMO airs are meant to be played solo and they can be seen as an indulgence in a group setting.
Hi Julia - Just curious, how do you feel about singing in sessions?
mandoboy

Post by mandoboy »

Julia,

Yes I think playing solo is an indulgence. In fact, I think me playing the flute at all in the session is an indulgence. I have played with this group of people for about 10 years and we all love playing together. They are very encouraging to me learning a new instrument and are willing to indulge me.

The air I played (actually I only think it is an air, it might be classified as something else) is from a Lunasa CD and is called Autumn Child. It works very well played with more than one instrument much like one of the slower O'Carolan tunes.

Jeff
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

how do you feel about singing in sessions?

Depends on the singer and depends on the session. In an intense, hot session a song can give some welcome relief. Assuming the singer knows what he's doing.

If you're in an elite session, say, and Kevin Crawford launches into an air you'd feel differently about it than if a person who's only been playing nine months starts an air in that same session. On the other hand, if it's a normal session on a Sunday... you know where ... it wouldn't necessarily make it any worse.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
johnkerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by johnkerr »

mandoboy wrote:The air I played (actually I only think it is an air, it might be classified as something else) is from a Lunasa CD and is called Autumn Child.
There's your mistake. You're going to sessions where they tolerate the playing of Lunasa tunes.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

johnkerr wrote:There's your mistake. You're going to sessions where they tolerate the playing of Lunasa tunes.
There are Lúnasa tunes?? :o :lol:

Seriously, what Julia said up top. Don't worry about it. It's not a performance. You're just playing for and with friends. If they indulge an air, then they'd better indulge whatever you do (or don't do) with it. :-)

I have a friend (accordion) who is a fine player, but who tends to call out "Oh, sorry!" every time she flubs a note. It's a hard habit to break, and she knows that without the verbal cues no one would notice the occasional mistake anyway.

Fortunately, playing flute or whistle makes it harder to holler "Oh, merde!" If you don't change your embouchure, it comes out sounding like "Mmm, mghrph!", which everyone can think is just a unique sub-vocalization to express your enthusiasm for the nyaah.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
celticmodes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by celticmodes »

MTGuru wrote:Seriously, what Julia said up top. Don't worry about it.
You got off easy :lol: When I first asked a newbie question, Julia replied "This is the nuttiest ensemble I've ever heard of. If you can't work out playing together then you shouldn't be playing together." She's not big on encouragement but she brings a lot of knowledge and experience to the table.

Actually I had the same problem last year. I attend the Ohio Scottish Arts School yearly where I'm usually a harper but I'd brought my whistle and flute along to an after hours session. This was the first time I'd played the new instruments in front of my harp friends.I asked if anyone knew Dusty Windowsills and the leader of the school said yes.

She was the only one in the room who knew it so it became a duo with me on the whistle and her on the harp. We played it at full speed and I was surprised she kept up with me. So there I am soloing with a professional and at the 3rd section my nose starts to run. I thought "what should I do?" There's one breath at the end of the phrase if you do all the rolls It wasn't enough time to wipe my nose.

I decided to hope no one noticed and kept going. I think now, I would stop and wipe or lick the spit if I was fluting but at the time I was too nervous.

P.S. Oh and on the air at a session, the sessioners I have played with love a good sparsely accompanied air after a lot of tiring sets so they can take a breather and get a refill. Not all sessions are the same, as you have probably figured out.
celticmodes
[Reviol 8 key | Oz Vambrace | Dusty Strings Ravenna | Luna Trinity Parlor]
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

She's not big on encouragement but she brings a lot of knowledge and experience to the table.
She... lol.

I can't disagree with that.

I got a huge amount of respect for her knowledge and background but she can be a real bitch sometimes.

Lunar cycles and all no doubt.

:twisted:
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
celticmodes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by celticmodes »

Aanvil wrote:She... lol. her she
If I didn't know any better, I'd think your suggesting that our Julia is NOT a Southern Belle? More like a Southern Ball(s)?
celticmodes
[Reviol 8 key | Oz Vambrace | Dusty Strings Ravenna | Luna Trinity Parlor]
Denny

Post by Denny »

not southern
or Laconic, for that matter

three for three :twisted:
karl

Post by karl »

Just wanted to make a comment about Julia since a few people have decided to so. My experience with Julia has been nothing but positive. She has gone out of her way to help me with things such as measuring hole placements on her flutes. Yes she is very knowledgeable, but this is not stuff off the top of her head, she had to make an effort and go measure them to help me with my questions. She has also made other kind offers which would mean her giving up time to help me. A lot of this was through PM so maybe you're just not getting to see her good side.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Jeff wrote:...when you are playing solo, no one can help but notice. How does one best deal with this problem?
It's true that it appears to happen to most people once in a while and you just have to laugh it off but it's frustrating when you know you can play the tune upside down back to front at home. I can start a set and find no-one knows it, and all goes fine for maybe a tune and a half, or two, and then self consciousness or something will just snag my memory and bring me to a halt (momentary or terminal). I think it's a solo performance thing with me, something I need to work on... or senility maybe.
Mark