Am I just 'traditionally style-less?'

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Re: Am I just 'traditionally style-less?'

Post by AaronMalcomb »

lazyleft wrote:
AaronMalcomb wrote:
While we're slinging around quotes, let me share one that I can't remember verbatim but I'll try and reproduce as faithfully as I can. Do not follow the same path as the master. Seek the same source and you will find mastery... or something like that.
Oh sh*t. Try saying that one done the pub. I haven't been in those kind of pubs for years and though I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have got the sh*t kicked out of me for saying that kind of pretentious sh*t I sure would have had the piss ripped out of me. (bleep) me. Just play the (bleep) tunes and shut the (bleep) up.
Thanks
Nate
And this ends the "reasonable discussion" portion of our broadcast. We now return to the previously scheduled "macho, pigheaded pi**ing contest."

See you lot in a few months time unless Julia Delaney can save this one again.
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

AaronMalcomb wrote:We now return to the previously scheduled "macho, pigheaded pi**ing contest."
Dear Lord! Spare us your sanctimony. Or become a moderator.

Rob
ImNotIrish
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ImNotIrish »

Azalin wrote:
ImNotIrish wrote:Thank you all for the input. I'm not sure what to do with it other than to stop associating my playing with ITM.
Now, going back to your style, I find it surprising that you don't have a few ITM "heros" you're trying to emulate. Trying to emulate musicians and then add your little twists is part if it all, and I'll boldly say that those refusing to accept this *certainly* don't play ITM, even if they think they do (some meat you can jump on!). So, maybe if you immerse yourself in the music a bit more, listen to more stuff, go to festivals and open your horizons, you'd certainly find a few 'models' you'd like to follow. A few years ago I cycled around County Clare for three months, and it helped a lot. I remember watching Geraldine McNamara, Geraldine Cotter and Sean Ryan play the whistle, and be awestruck... and the list goes on. I'm not sure if you do a lot, but you learn a lot by interacting with people. Maybe you don't need this, maybe you do, I wouldn't know.
Ah, ITM heros... Why, yes I do have a number of players that I love to listen to. All instruments, not just flute. And I listen to them all the time. Have done so for over twenty years. I do play out regularly at sessions and I do attend workshops and summers music weeks. Perhaps the fact that I don't have one player to whom I pay sole attention is what is undermining my efforts? I don't know. I suppose if there is one player whom I might like to emulate, it might be Fintan Vallely. I have been listening to Eddie Cahill a lot recently. Even when I listen to these players and pick up tunes, I am getting the tune playable until it is in my head, and then taking it from there on my own. I may take a particular ornament placement, a triplet run from here or there, but honestly, I have neither the patience, nor desire to re-create the entire version. My original question, broad as it may be, was an attempt to see if I had any particular reference in my playing style to that of the regional ITM styles. I know I don't have the 'huffy-puffy' style of the Northern players, and frankly, I am not well informed enough to really identify most regional styles. Rather than having my request seem like an egotistic plea for acknowledgment, I was hoping to identify any slight stylistic indication which I could then further pursue. If my playing 'sounds' Irish, great. If it seems I am just out there playing something loosely connected to ITM, okay. By 'traditionally style-less,' I was not implying 'pure drop' playing, but rather regional associations. And Guru, yes there is work to be done. I have not bothered to put up 'polished' clips. So, I am well aware that there are issues around timing of rolls, phrasing, etc. But I also know there are examples where these things fall together as well. Hope you all will not view this as being defensive. Just a clarification, if you will. I am delighted that the topic has generated such response, and even brought some of you back to the board from the outer realm.
Arbo
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Rob Sharer wrote:Or become a moderator.
Bless you, son. You are a child of the universe. No less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here.

:lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

ImNotIrish wrote: Perhaps the fact that I don't have one player to whom I pay sole attention is what is undermining my efforts? I don't know.
Arbo
:boggle: Are we not men? We are Arbo! :boggle:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
lazyleft

Post by lazyleft »

And this ends the "reasonable discussion" portion of our broadcast. We now return to the previously scheduled "macho, pigheaded pi**ing contest."
Aaronmalcomb is right. I apologise. Much as I do find it pretentious and rather absurd to speak of Irish musicians, or any musicians, in a way that seems to me to be drawing parallels with spiritual masters, I nevertheless expressed myself in way that was both arrogant and rude. Sincere apologies to anyone who may have been offended.
Thanks
Nate
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

Good on yer for apologizing, but you actually made an interesting point. As much as some would have the learning of trad to represent some sort of personal, spiritual journey, there are actually some very rough characters who play this music. There are indeed places where you could expect a less-than-enlightened response to any talk of the sort that you were responding to. Like it or not, it's part of the tradition; I've heard stories about the flutes of waffling players being slung out over the half-door! There's great passion in the music, sure. Cheers,

Rob
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

ImNotIrish wrote:Perhaps the fact that I don't have one player to whom I pay sole attention is what is undermining my efforts?
Well, I don't think so. Many musicians have learned from the playing of different people and been influenced by many. I don't think you can go wrong with Fintan Vallely, he's been on TG4! :D
Pammy

Post by Pammy »

AaronMalcomb wrote:Clips-n-Snips.
Can't find it. A little more info please

Apart from anything I want to know what Arbo sounds like now
Life is good!!!
Even when I am Miss Understood!!!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Pammy wrote:
viewforum.php?f=7
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Pammy wrote:

Apart from anything I want to know what Arbo sounds like now
I have deleted ALL of my personal recordings, and the recordings I have saved since the beginning of the 'posting clips' thread, save a few of mine which are played on the Tipple low 'C' flute.
Here is a recent clip done on the Tipple low 'C'.
http://www.box.net/shared/vxiirryxln
Arbo
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Apology accepted, Nate. I can see where a saying like that can come across as rather overstuffed but it really boils down to what you said about just playing the (bleep) tunes. When you want to learn a style, don't just copy the phrasing or the ornamentation or whatever. Get that feeling of the style and play the tune, see if you can get the same feeling.

Rob, I was on the high horse a bit but your response illustrated my point. I know what you mean about said rough characters. I have the same instinct sometimes. I've heard playing that makes me want to yank the instrument out of the person's hands and toss it out the door if not flog them with it. But we all know none of us here are those rough types and it's an affectation to try and convey that attitude. I'm a smartass whose ear for the music is better than my ability to play it so if that's how I come across, at least I'm genuine.

I'm off to go play some (bleep) tunes.
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

Awesome! As it so happens, I too am off to the (bleep) session to play some (bleep) tunes. Aaron, do come back and post more often....we all are more alike than dislike, I reckon. I'll try not to sling anyone's flute, but it may be hard, especially since there's no half-door! Cheers,

Rob
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

I may not know music, but I know what I like!

:D
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Akiba wrote:
talasiga wrote:
Akiba wrote:I believe in classical Indian traditional music, a student has a guru and stays and plays with that guru 24/7 for years. A cousin of mine who lived in India for years, a tabla player, said some students are literally chained to a tree, told what to practice and left there for hours till the guru comes back. Talk about using imitation and staying in the tradition to the extreme. :shock:
This is a rather broad brush that does not properly represent a tradition/s too broad to be brushed.

Fo example see this for possible contrast (specifically para 6):-
http://web.mac.com/lyonleifer/Site/Deve ... shwar.html
You really like to lob up softballs, don't you? How about this for an answer: no sh*te, Sherlock.

Your response is non sequitur and I don't know why the moderators allow you to swear in response to a succinct and informative post.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit