Am I just 'traditionally style-less?'

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Am I just 'traditionally style-less?'

Post by ImNotIrish »

Sillydill wrote:ARBO, You are GIFTED!

:thumbsup:

BE PROUD!

I am grateful for the music you're sharing with us!

Thank You!
Silly,
thank you very much! I appreciate that. since no one has come up with a 'style' I might be associated with, I guess my initial query remains unanswered.
celticmodes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by celticmodes »

I like the Arbo style.
celticmodes
[Reviol 8 key | Oz Vambrace | Dusty Strings Ravenna | Luna Trinity Parlor]
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

It's sad to see how some good threads about style and phrasing, with serious potential, turn into a sterilized support group. :sleep:

For most of the great players out there, failure was an option when they were learning, and they failed often, and worked hard, to achieve what they wanted to sound like. Why are people so afraid of the possibility of failure in the short term? Also, what's the purpose of such thread if only one answer will be accepted? Maybe we should create a new forum called "Please tell me you love me" and you can all tell each other how great you are...
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

those who set out to copy another's style fail doubly
first, no one can perfectly copy another
second, they betray their own unique creativity

that is not to suggest that a musician may not end up being labelled as belonging to one traditional style or another (if not a new one). however that will be more an incidental result than one deliberately grasped at

(warning: this post contains no caps)
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Ben Shaffer
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Post by Ben Shaffer »

Hmm this sounds familiar..... I've had other say "you don't sound like an Irish Flute player". I grew up on on Long Island, played drums in a rock band, Flute in school, never listened to Irish music. still don't ....learned session tunes out of Books and at sessions....also played Fife in aF& D Corp.
So, I'd have to ask why would I sound like an Irish Flute Player with a lot of vibrato? It would be like your channeling an Irish Flute Player.. No trouble playing the tunes but I just sound like an American Flute Player, little vibrato and offering no apologies...... so for all those Players who have have people tell them they don't have a Traditional style, ask why would I, Ive got an American style!...every bit as good!
Ben Shaffer
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Azalin wrote:It's sad to see how some good threads about style and phrasing, with serious potential, turn into a sterilized support group. :sleep:

For most of the great players out there, failure was an option when they were learning, and they failed often, and worked hard, to achieve what they wanted to sound like. Why are people so afraid of the possibility of failure in the short term? Also, what's the purpose of such thread if only one answer will be accepted? Maybe we should create a new forum called "Please tell me you love me" and you can all tell each other how great you are...

Yup.

I figured as much when I read it.

Arbo you still haven't answered my question though.

What styles are you interested in?

I don't particularly like or dislike what you are doing... but what are you doing?

Is there some thing we can judge your progress against?
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
mahanpots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mahanpots »

Azalin wrote:It's sad to see how some good threads about style and phrasing, with serious potential, turn into a sterilized support group. :sleep:

:shock:
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

I love you, Arbo. :love:
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
pkev

Post by pkev »

Hi there

Arbo, many musicians go through periods of being `insecure`, which can be frustrating and depressing
Thats probably the bigger challenge for you to overcome, than your playing style at the moment going by your posts in this thread

You have put some music up for listening, some will enjoy it, some not, some will think thats Irish Music (or Scottish), some will think it's just diddly music, some will think you are pure dead brilliant, others may think your crap, most people might not even give a toss what style you are trying to achieve

It's what you think that counts, cos your the one playing the music, your the one that has to come to the point where you think
you are doing some justice to the music

So get on with it!

pkev
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Azalin wrote:.......
For most of the great players out there, failure was an option when they were learning, and they failed often, and worked hard, to achieve what they wanted to sound like. Why are people so afraid of the possibility of failure in the short term?
Seeing as you are in a position to speak for most of the great players out there,
would you kindly advise whether most of the great players out there
judge their success (if they judge failure or success at all) on deliberately achieving a style.

If I may be so brave, may I request that you first consult with most of the great players out there before you post a representation for them on this question?
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Sure. Of course I'd want to hear how much you love my playing etc., etc. But really, I just want to know if I have any particular, acknowledged Irish style of flute playing. If I don't, fine, just say so. I don't need to hear that I am not playing like the 'Geezers.' I know that already. And, I am not sure that's how I'd want to play anyway. I can't say that there is one particular style of playing that I really enjoy over any other. sure, I have preferences, but none that outweigh any other substantially. I also listen to a lot of other instrumental players, so I am sure my influences come from a wide array of source material.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

crookedtune wrote:
jim stone wrote: You know, there's a saying:
When I die and go to heaven, God won't ask me,
'Why weren't you Matt Molloy?' He'll ask me:
Why weren't you Jim Stone?'
Really, that's a saying? Be sure to mention the trousers! :lol:
It's a Jewish saying, I think, and the name's are replaceable to suit the occasion.
So it was first told me with 'Albert Einstein' and 'Jim Stone'
in it, respectively. I replaced 'Einstein' with 'Matt Molloy,' cause
it's, you know, the fluteboard.

I love you too, Arbo!
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

That is a really weird request Arbo.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

What's weird about it En garde?
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Wow, what a helpful bit of commentary, like every other bit under this particular by-line in this thread. How was the initial smack-down of Arbo in any way related to a serious discussion of style and phrasing? Sounded more like a knee-jerk smackdown from the pen of someone a bit too turned on by dysphemism.

Rob