Wedge fell out

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Re: Wedge fell out

Post by Rob Sharer »

Verbal diarrhea is a terrible disease. Let's show some sympathy for the stricken.

A bottle of good ol' Keyboard Kaopectate clears it right up!

R
talasiga
antispam: No

Post by talasiga »

Denny wrote:
Aanvil wrote:It was Denny's.
I was going for the tuning slide being a good distance off from design.
You, on the other hand, would do well to post some substantial stuff
rather than the little possum droppings that have taken your tally to the top.
:P
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Rob Sharer wrote:Verbal diarrhea is a terrible disease. Let's show some sympathy for the stricken.

R
And then there's the American disease of the missing dipthong!

I can see this thread is now heading for the slurry pit.........

Tally Ho!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

What is it over there, diarrhoeiae?

Typical...why use so few keystrokes?

R
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

jemtheflute wrote:
Rob Sharer wrote:Verbal diarrhea is a terrible disease. Let's show some sympathy for the stricken.

R
And then there's the American disease of the missing dipthong!

Tally Ho!

A missing dipthong certainly isn't an American problem.

I had a German girlfriend that would have hers go a missing all the time.

It varied with the level of schaps intake.

We always found them the next morning though so its was a simple remedy.

Back seat of the car, under the coffee table, on the ceiling fan...
Last edited by Aanvil on Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Back on topic, resuming normal service (after using the boot scraper):
to paraphrase Aanvil's point,

"The angle of the wedge does seem to make a difference, however. I believe the original Fajardo design allowed for some play in the position."

From what I recall of the Fajardo specifications and actual examples I saw illustrated when originally reading & following up on Doug's page on the matter, Fajardo's design was indeed adjustable. Doug's is a simplification, of course, and I merely borrow/emulate that. Whilst experimenting with it may be of some interest, it seems that the optimum position in Doug's simple kind of flute is probably to the near side of the bottom of the circumference of the tube as held in playing position - not directly below the embouchure but in a position somewhere between 5- and 8-o-clock viewed from the foot end of the tube in relation to a line perpendicular through the center of the embouchure. That is where I aim to glue my wedges in my piccolos, though it is a fiddly task in such small tube and sometimes they are not quite where I ideally wish them to be when the glue sets, though this does not seem to have any very noticeable effects on playing qualities.

In line with my previous arguments in this thread, I do not think there is any real need to be able to move the wedge about, certainly once one has established a preferred position as the flute's owner. Fajardo's aims in having an adjustable wedge and observations from experimenting with it were to do with pretty advanced classical playing considerations not really applicable to Doug's flutes or the folk who play them.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

jemtheflute wrote:And then there's the American disease of the missing dip[h]thong!
Is that anything like the British disease of the missing 'aitch? :wink:

Anyway, the missing diphthong is more a Scotsman's problem. Over here, diphthongs are routinely worn under either trousers or kilts, and my American diphthong is quite comfortable and disease-free. As for Matt Molloy, the state of his underwear is still a matter of great dispute. And the discussion of wedges and underwear in the same thread may not be a good idea.
jemtheflute wrote:I can see this thread is now heading for the slurry pit.........
What's that you say? It went ... that-a-way? On Dido! On Bendigo!

:lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

MTGuru wrote:
jemtheflute wrote:And then there's the American disease of the missing dip[h]thong!
Is that anything like the British disease of the missing 'aitch? :wink:
Ooops. Fair cop. At least that was just a typo and not a cultural aberration. Of course, we can't insist Rob strain himself with "extra" keystrokes, either on keyboard or flute. I daresay he has strategically placed fragments of cork glued around his computer keyboard and a specially adapted thumb key to help him cope, though. He certainly managed quite a few extra vowels back there! Had it been extra consonants, we might suspect he'd been practicing his Irish. Is there a special Irish keyboard grip?

Now, where did I dip my thong? The sewage farm, did I hear someone say?

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

R
When you get a few excessive compulsives together in one thread, what do you expect?
Denny

Post by Denny »

flute does seem to attract it's share :D
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Denny wrote:flute does seem to attract it's share :D
Gosh! Missing diphthongs, missing aitches, and now a completely superfluous apostrophe! All in one thread!

[I'm making my personal contribution by going for the unnecessary exclamation mark count!]

!!!
Denny

Post by Denny »

I keep doing that....don't I :tomato:
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

benhall.1 wrote: Gosh! Missing diphthongs, missing aitches, and now a completely superfluous apostrophe! All in one thread!

[I'm making my personal contribution by going for the unnecessary exclamation mark count!]

!!!
Who's scoring points? (And what do points mean?) (N.B. this last is a British cultural referrent unlikely to be familiar to those of an American persuasion unless they have a compulsive obsession with BBC Radio 4.)

I hope the problem with Mr. Molloy's trews didn't involve a wedgie!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

jemtheflute wrote: Of course, we can't insist Rob strain himself with "extra" keystrokes, either on keyboard or flute.
How true this is. I suppose I'd be more Cathal McConnell than Matt Molloy, as these things go, but no word on the typographical gifts of either gent. Still, these things must be related, somehow. More Hemingway than Faulkner.

Rob
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I was in Howells in Cardiff not that long ago (couple years?) and I allowed myself to be persuaded to take out one of their store credit cards, on the basis that I would get, there and then, an extra 15% off my purchases, which were already in the sale.

Obviously, the store attendant had to explain to me the particular rules and benefits of the Howells store card (or House of Fraser, or whatever it is). Anyway, then she said that, if I spent money using the credit card in their store, or even in other House of Fraser stores, I would get points ... at which point, naturally I had to interrupt her and ask "And what do points mean?" She hung her head dejectedly as she obediently answered "Prizes".