I hate presbyopia.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: I hate presbyopia.

Post by Doug_Tipple »

You probably haven't though about it, but there are all kinds of specialty glasses that are requested. For example, a type of specialty glasses that I need is for focusing close while working over my head. These type of glasses are very useful for mechanics (under cars), painter (ceilings), plumbers, all kinds of trades. I installed a ceiling fan not long ago, and it wasn't that easy. I had to use my two glasses routine.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Well, I have distance lenses for driving, computer glasses for sitting at my desk in front of a computer, and I read without either. It works out pretty well. I don't switch lenses all that much at work, preferring to just drift around in a pleasant blur--it cancels out all those frowny-faces.

I was thinking I needed a third pair for close-up, but one of our blind rehab folks suggested something that I think is incredibly nifty. If you are myopic, chances are that some of your old "distance" spectacles will be just perfect now for reading, sewing, or other close-up work.

Something else I've discovered about presbyopia . . . you know how you're hesitant to ask your doctor about skin things that might be a problem? "Gosh, will you give it a rest already? It's NOT A PROBLEM." All you have to do is explain that you can't see it. "Sorry to have to ask you about this, but I can't quite see my face anymore, you know." They understand perfectly.
Cotelette d'Agneau
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

I was able to put off bifocals for a long time because I am near sighted in one eye, far in the other so it worked well for me. Actually, I only wore my glasses most of the time because I got tired of trying to keep up with them. However, time marches on and bi-focals eventually were needed. Then they didn't work so now I've got trifocals. They are a problem though when reading music and playing oboe. I can't hold the horn and my head correctly AND see the music. I'm gonna have to get some music glasses....
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
emmline

Post by emmline »

cowtime wrote: I can't hold the horn and my head correctly AND see the music. I'm gonna have to get some music glasses....
Thank you. I think I have learned from this thread. That you can't really fix aged eyes in a thoroughly satisfactory way, can you?
Remember, fellow myopics, when you got your first pair of specs...how it suddenly helped everything? That's what I was hoping for.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

dwest wrote:
dubhlinn wrote: Emm, that staring thing..Jeez. I took my old buddy Harry into town last week to check out a new coffee shop and after ten minutes we were asked to leave. I tried to explain that he was not staring as such but he had Alzs...the Polish girl behind the counter was not impressed and out we went. It's not a problem down the local because everybody knows him but anywhere else....

Slan,
D.
Do you think the fact that the girl was Polish was the reason you were asked to leave?

No, not at all but it would go a long way to explain why she did not understand my explanation.

Just a simple statement of fact, no slur intended.

Now back to our scheduled thread...

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

No Emm,

Sorry - there' no single fix for every condition of the eye. And the quality of the optics we can create in spectacle lenses now are - as we are - imperfect. There is always compromise somewhere. What you have to decide is where to best manage that compromise for your own lifestyle. Surgery too (LASIK, PRK, etc.) is limited in scope as to what it can correct and how effectively. As a certified optician and working in optics for these past twenty years, I can tell you that your struggles are not unique. The very best thing you can do is establish a good dialogue with your eye care professional and certified optician. Communication breakdown is the single biggest reason patients don't get what they need - either from a complete failure to communicate those needs properly, or worse, a failure of the eye care professional to ask the right questions and ensure understanding by their patient(s) of what can and cannot reasonably be accomplished.

Wish you all the best either way!

Brian~
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

emmline wrote:I hate presbyopia.
I guess you could join the Unitarians, but what about the rest of your family? Hmm... maybe this should be in the Interfaith. :D
Reasonable person
Walden
emmline

Post by emmline »

Walden wrote:
emmline wrote:I hate presbyopia.
I guess you could join the Unitarians, but what about the rest of your family? Hmm... maybe this should be in the Interfaith. :D
Oh, I've considered Unitopia, but family and all...you know.

(on second thought...unitopia is essentially what you've got when your lenses stop flexing, isn't it?)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

emmline wrote:(on second thought...unitopia is essentially what you've got when your lenses stop flexing, isn't it?)
I thought it was something like this:

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Wouldn't that be cyclopia?
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I think that's a politically incorrect term, these days.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Nanohedron wrote:I think that's a politically incorrect term, these days.
Is one-eyed-one-horned-flying-purple-people-eater-opia also politically incorrect these days?
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

I had Lasik 10 years ago.

I've been nearsighted my entire life. I started wearing glasses at age 5, but probably needed them before that. For many years I needed the lenses changed every 6 months, and the change was dramatic in that 6 months. They finally slowed down to once a year changes when I was about 23, and went to soft contacts then (can't wear hard).

But the capillaries in my eyes were coming to the surface which meant they weren't getting enough oxygen, even with the soft contacts. I was going to have to go back to glasses - which even with feather weights were extra thick, and also I lost all peripheral vision with them. I have no idea what my "numbers" were - I couldn't see the wall, much less the E.

So I choose Lasik. I had the choice of going 20/20 far, 20/20 close, or one eye one way, one the other. At my age (41 then) I decided to go 20/20 far - I knew I'd be needing help close up sooner or later.

I can't see to thread a needle, or other very small things. I have no issues with the computer screen. Occasionally I'll need something for reading a book, it really depends on the light. I do have problems with ingredient labels. So I just keep drugstore magnifying lenses in my computer case.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

jsluder wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I think that's a politically incorrect term, these days.
Is one-eyed-one-horned-flying-purple-people-eater-opia also politically incorrect these days?
What??
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Nanohedron wrote:
emmline wrote:(on second thought...unitopia is essentially what you've got when your lenses stop flexing, isn't it?)
I thought it was something like this:

Michael Caine ,with a drink or two.

Sorry but it was the first thing that crossed me little mind.

Slan,
D. :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats