..it's all about performance... (cycling post)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: ..it's all about performance... (cycling post)

Post by brewerpaul »

I read a story in the NY Times a while back about NY messengers and their fixed wheel bikes and I had to look twice to see if it was April Fools day. Maybe it's just me, but I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want a bike lacking the simplest of safety devices, eg brakes, and have only a single gear to make pedaling as difficult and inefficient as possible. After I read that story, I tried riding my 21 speed bike in only one gear for a while. It's hilly around where I live, and there were hills that I couldn't come close to climbing, and on even mild downgrades I had to pedal like a demon just to avoid freewheeling. Forget about maintaining any type of cadence or pedal pressure. Mystique, schmistique-- I'll keep my modern bike!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I have had my bike's derailers lock up on me effectively making my bike a one speed. One thing that I noticed is that I had to plan a whole lot more. See a hill coming up? Better start accelerating or get ready to dismount.

As for breaks, I think in almost all states, the front break is mandatory by law. The "skid test" is sometimes used which some would argue the foot and peddle combination qualifies, but I have wondered what happens if your chain derails? Do you have no breaks until your rear tire seizes?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
dwest

Post by dwest »

A new bike I'm thinking about for commuting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cDDBM9g ... edded#t=20
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

brewerpaul wrote:I read a story in the NY Times a while back about NY messengers and their fixed wheel bikes and I had to look twice to see if it was April Fools day. Maybe it's just me, but I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want a bike lacking the simplest of safety devices, eg brakes, and have only a single gear to make pedaling as difficult and inefficient as possible. After I read that story, I tried riding my 21 speed bike in only one gear for a while. It's hilly around where I live, and there were hills that I couldn't come close to climbing, and on even mild downgrades I had to pedal like a demon just to avoid freewheeling. Forget about maintaining any type of cadence or pedal pressure. Mystique, schmistique-- I'll keep my modern bike!
Absolutely agree. Modern bikes with nicely thought-out gears are a joy. Mind you, I never had more fun than I did on my double chainwheel, 10-speed Claud Butler Majestic, which I bought in the early 80s (when the Claud name really meant something). Damned fine bike, that one. Gear changers on the downtubes and none of this new-fangled index gear nonsense and steep, but not too steep, tube angles. I could and did lose anybody on that bloody bike, given the right tyres. And fit a well-lubed Brooks B17 seat. No other would do for me and my delicate arse. Modern cyclists understand nothing!
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

SteveShaw wrote: Absolutely agree. Modern bikes with nicely thought-out gears are a joy. Mind you, I never had more fun than I did on my double chainwheel, 10-speed Claud Butler Majestic, which I bought in the early 80s (when the Claud name really meant something). Damned fine bike, that one. Gear changers on the downtubes and none of this new-fangled index gear nonsense and steep, but not too steep, tube angles. I could and did lose anybody on that bloody bike, given the right tyres. And fit a well-lubed Brooks B17 seat. No other would do for me and my delicate arse. Modern cyclists understand nothing!
I still cherish Claude Butler, Ron Cooper and Holdsworth... as well as Team Brooks in honey with the large rivets and 853 steel. Although I'm not sure I would give up my Ergo on steep climbs.
dwest

Post by dwest »

SteveShaw wrote: Gear changers on the downtubes and none of this new-fangled index gear nonsense and steep, but not too steep, tube angles. I could and did lose anybody on that bloody bike, given the right tyres. And fit a well-lubed Brooks B17 seat. No other would do for me and my delicate arse. Modern cyclists understand nothing!
For the casual rider shifters on the down tube are not the safest position for shifters. I have index shifters and friction shifters of all types on my bikes and I switch from one to the other easily but I ride everyday. I have a Brooks on my randonneur frame but modern saddles with their different lengths and widths are more versatile and sensible. As much as I have always coveted lugged steel frames with my size I can destroy most lugged frames in a matter of minutes. I went through two "Peugeot PX10s" by '66 just from hopping potholes in the roadway. I should have bought stock in Cinelli 'cause I could break stems just lookin at 'em. Modern bikes and modern shifters have a lot to offer, the old stuff is great and I am restoring my BILs Holdsworth, even found orignal decals from the shop he purchased the bike from in '74, but I wouldn't trade my newer stuff fer nothin. And I leave everybody in the dust, 'cause I stop and have a beer while all those poor saps keep riding.
MarcusR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Nice to see so many posts about cycling :D
Took me a while to get through it, but great reading all the way.
fel bautista wrote:I want to convert an elderly road bike to a fixed gear. It really does help your spin, does wonders for bike handling. BUT, I will put brakes on it, unlike the current fashion of no brakes...
Of course, I've talked about doing it for the last two years and I've put the "pro" in procrastination for longer than I care to remember.
I'm in the same boat, have been planning to get a fixie for commuting and winter training for a few years, still not finished the project. Got a Motobécane Noble from 71, with a 2x5 Simplex gear system from 69 at a farm auction for $40 a few years ago. The intent was to make it a fixe but it was almost in mint condition so I decided to keep it as it is. Didn't feel good to tear it apart. The only non-original part was the saddle but I manage to get an Ideale No 6 of eBay that fits nicely.
dwest wrote:I'd go real fancy and put a disc on the front wheel or your left crank and a double sided hub on the back, a Nitto Moustache bar with a Dia Compe guidonnet lever, and a saddle too.
Agreed on the Nitto Moustache, it just makes so much difference, for the retro appearance, very comfy too. Even though I love riding a retro bike fo fun nothing beats a good, light and stiff racing frame
...it's all about performance...

Still ride my Kinesis KR but I hope to upgrade to a Cervelo RS in the future. The most comfortable and competitive frame I have tried so far. One day ...
But the most logic option would be to keep the bike I have now and invest the money in a set of better wheels, but that just aint as fun.
claudine wrote:Very cool ;-)
Actually I wonder what's the point of riding a fixie, would like to try one.
Glad you liked the video Claudine. I just can't stop watching it :D

Cheers all!

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

brewerpaul wrote:I read a story in the NY Times a while back about NY messengers and their fixed wheel bikes and I had to look twice to see if it was April Fools day. Maybe it's just me, but I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want a bike lacking the simplest of safety devices, eg brakes, and have only a single gear to make pedaling as difficult and inefficient as possible. After I read that story, I tried riding my 21 speed bike in only one gear for a while. It's hilly around where I live, and there were hills that I couldn't come close to climbing, and on even mild downgrades I had to pedal like a demon just to avoid freewheeling. Forget about maintaining any type of cadence or pedal pressure. Mystique, schmistique-- I'll keep my modern bike!
Have you ever walked in Manhattan? Most of the areas where bike messengers work are flat as a pancake. Gears are a waste, and subject to maintenance, vandalism and monetary costs.

Bikes get stolen all the time, best to have a cheap looking, cheap costing bike. A messenger with a fancy road bike will almost sure to be targeted and have their bike taken in a week or two. Then what? A cheap fixie wrapped in duct tape won't fetch more than a few bucks, so not worth the time to steal and fence.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Good point Bill, at least as far as places like NYC are concerned. Apart from there, I'll still take my modern (and pretty cheap) bike for real world enjoyment.
BTW-- I grew up 30 miles north of NYC, so I'm WELL familiar with the environment.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!