What recordings do you like to play along to?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
FromFlanders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What recordings do you like to play along to?

Post by FromFlanders »

Hello , I wondered if you have a favourite recording you play along and practice to, maybe not with a flute on it already? I have begun doing this to see if I can fit in / keep up as I don't feel ready for sessions with strangers yet , though I often play sessions with a regular bunch of mates. It would be interesting to know who peoples' virtual bandmates and tracks are.

Best, Fabien
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: What recordings do you like to play along to?

Post by benhall.1 »

Do you know, I've been playing this music (not on flute) for more than 40 years, and that is something I have never ever done. I'm not sure I'd be able to contemplate it, 'cos a recording is ... well, complete. So where would I fit in?

I'd be interested to know if other people find it helpful at all ...
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

There is always at least one musical instrument on our coffee table. My family howls with laughter and spins their eyes when I join in on a song on TV. I don't say anything. I know they're jealous. They know I know it.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

http://www.pgmusic.com/index.html

Go ahead and laugh. Band-In-A-Box has progressed to the point of being outrageously useful, fun and productive for learning to play in time and improvise. It's also terrific for composing, transposing, notating, etc... Yes, it's still a computer program, but you might be surprised!

I also play along with all kinds of recorded music, television, etc.... Learning to interact and respond to other musical sources is what its all about. It's the best way to keep out of your self-devised ruts.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

mutepointe wrote:There is always at least one musical instrument on our coffee table. My family howls with laughter and spins their eyes when I join in on a song on TV. I don't say anything. I know they're jealous. They know I know it.
Oh ... I'd forgotten about that. Yes, I play along to the ads. On my D whistle. Every single ad. No matter what the key.
Tjones

Post by Tjones »

I’ve posted this before, but it’s been four years

I'd like to recomend a series of CD's by Dan Compton, Dan teaches a session class in Portland, Or. He plays the fiddle and guitar, and has produce a series of over 25 CDs where he plays the tune at speed on both the fiddle and guitar and sometimes the Box, and then a slow version, fiddle only. Each CDs has 8 to 9 sets of tunes. The quality of the sound is excellent. And Dan is a great musician. You can find his list of CDs on his website. http://www.glencottagemusic.com

Here is a Quote from Whistlin’Dixie:

“Anyway....
While running the vacuum this morning I have been pondering this question.
I have recently gotten my hands on some "Irish Session Class" CD's.
All the tunes are trad. They are played on fiddle with guitar accompaniment. (Thus, some of the tunes are in the odd key or go way below the staff, but I digress) The tunes are played in small sets, then each tune played through slowly, several times. I have been working on CD: Class No. 10.
It occurred to me this morning that I can play all the tunes, many of them up to speed now. In going over the slow versions, you can learn the tune. It can be played over and over again! So you never have to tire a friend! You don't really need the dots. Pretty soon, you can hum the tune, pick out most of the notes, then eventually you find yourself able to play along with some of the faster version, then all of it.
I have been busy at work lately, and haven't had much chance to play during the past 2 or 3 weeks. But when I put on the CD this morning, it didn't take me long to get the tunes, and I think it is because I learned them by ear, not eye.
Anyway, it's just a personal observation. I am trying to commit to learning by ear from CD's or whatever, and I think there is a pretty steep learning curve at first. But I think the ear has to be trained a bit, first.

But whatever helps, I say go for it.

M"

Tjones
chef Paul

Post by chef Paul »

Hi Fabien

Two CD's come to mind that I particullary enjoy playing along with. "Music From Matt Molloy's Pub" and "Across the Pond" (with Kevin Griffin et al.). I'd say this is mainly because many of the tunes found on these recordings are common session tunes or tunes that get a lot of play in my neck of the woods.

I'd reccomend that you go to a session and if the sessions leaders don't object, record some tunes from them that you can practice on your own later. Just because you can play allong when Matty Malloy blazes away on say "Rolling in the Ryegrass" doesn't necessarily mean you wont be lost when your local sesson players have their way with it.

P
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

i just play along with anything i like. is much harder to play along with recordings of solo instruments, because they usually put in lots of variations to show how great they are (and they're great indeed). Groups usually keep the melody more simple, so it's easier to follow, although they usually like to play really fast, but i can usually manage... i like the altan a lot.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I use the virtual session (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/r2music/fol ... kmenu.html) and the Foinn Seisiun MP3s from Comhaltas (http://comhaltas.ie/music/). I purchased the books from comhaltas and then downloaded the MP3s (it took a while).

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
FromFlanders

Post by FromFlanders »

Thanks, all , for your kind and useful suggestions, I have just bought some of the session cds from Dan Compton and eagerly await their arrival, thanks Tjones! Yes Comhaltas is an amazing resource, if a trifle intimidating. At least the "Band in a box" would do what you told them, thus satisfying any latent bossy tendencies one might have! Well, time to put in some hours on the Amazing Slowdowner....I'll put some of everyone's suggestions through that ...
best,
Fabien
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I play along with everything I can. Particular favorites are the Mulcahy's recordings, Kitty Lie Over, The Mountain Road, and Live at Mona's :-) Grianan and Dervish are still a bit brisk for me, but on a good day I can hang in there on some of the tunes.

Oh, and I like "Music at Matt Molloy's" too. When I can follow Frank Jordan on Garrett Barry's Reel I'll feel like I've arrived (at least for a brief glorious moment before it all falls apart again).
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Jimbaab

Post by Jimbaab »

Hi all.
I'd like to recomend Michael Clarksons podcasts on itunes.
600 odd podcasts of single tunes or small sets played once slow and then at a more realistic pace.
Can be taken where ever you go on you ipod.
Playing along with a REAL flute player with good flute tunes is BRILLIANT.
Picking up some of Michaels flutey twists and turns gives playing another dimension.
Fab. Wonderfull. Superb. Fantastic. Great. Love it.
Cheers
James.
I'd like to help you out. Which way did you come in?
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

play along with as much as you can of what you enjoy - currently playing along to John Skelton & Keiran O'hare's 'Double Barrelled' and the Tulla Ceili Band 'A Celebration of 50 Years'.
Mark
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Jimbaab wrote:Hi all.
I'd like to recomend Michael Clarksons podcasts on itunes.
600 odd podcasts of single tunes or small sets played once slow and then at a more realistic pace.
Can be taken where ever you go on you ipod.
Playing along with a REAL flute player with good flute tunes is BRILLIANT.
Picking up some of Michaels flutey twists and turns gives playing another dimension.
Fab. Wonderfull. Superb. Fantastic. Great. Love it.
Cheers
James.
DOH! <smacks head> You are so right. And when you get thru those 600, try this:

http://claddaghrecords.com/WWW/catalog/ ... ts_id=2887

Michael is the bomb. (Harry, too ;-) )

Hope all's well with you, Jim!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

Slow ones.