Tunable whistle in the key of A recommendations?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
markinthailand
antispam: No

Tunable whistle in the key of A recommendations?

Post by markinthailand »

I'm looking to get a tunable whistle in A. After a bit of web googling, I've found three, Overton, Susato and Dixon Alloy. The tunable Overton is too expensive, and so I'm looking at the Susato or Dixon Alloy in A.

Any recommendations for A) other tunable whistles in the key of A; and B) any recommendations/comparisons between the two? I've got a Susato low D, and while it has taken awhile to tame, sounds great. I've not played a Dixon Alloy so don't know.

Thanks!

-Mark
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Re: Tunable whistle in the key of A recommendations?

Post by dfernandez77 »

The Overton is the way to go if you can scrape up more cash.

It might be out of your price range, but a Burke would be a fine whistle in A, nice pure voice.

Chieftain Low A has a chiffy trad voice, just under the price of a Burke. Try before you buy to see if it suits you.

Susato also have a character you should hear and try before you buy.

I've heard good about Dixon's in general, and the price is good.

If you could find someone willing to part with a Water Weasel in A - it's a really fine whistle.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
markinthailand

Post by markinthailand »

I've only got access to a Susato to try out. However, the Chieftain looks really nice, and I could maybe stretch up to that in terms of budget...

Any comments on playability for the A's? I'm going to be playing it as well as my wife--and she has smaller hands. I'm thinking also in terms of how much breath one needs, etc.

-Mark
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I've not played a Dixon but I've had a couple Susato A's: one with a narrow bore, like they use for their high D whistles, and one with a medium bore. The one with the narrow bore was very much in tune and had a soft sweet voice. It was a very nice player. The one with the bigger bore I didn't care for as much.
That narrow-bore A was bought a long time ago and they might not make that style any more.

Now I play Burkes in Low F, G, and A. I love the way the Burkes play.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

If you can find a used Water Weasel, it is a particularly fine key, from Glenn. Check with Doc Jones at the Irish Flute Store.

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

i honestly think I don't need TUNABLE whistles in A.

I think there is an overton A for sale on the Used Instrument Exchange forum,
by the way.
Last edited by jim stone on Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
slowair

Post by slowair »

I would recommend a Sindt.
trill

Post by trill »

I have a Dixon A and like it just fine. I often use it to play D tunes e.g. Ashokan Farewell.

I also have a number of Susatos and like them too: durable, in-tune, not too costly. I borrowed a Susato narrow bore A once for a few weeks. I found that closing the holes was tough for me. I think the trouble I had is rooted in simple anatomy: I have small fingers. Everyone is different.

If you can, I suggest borrowing a few and trying them out.

trill
Ballyshannon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ballyshannon »

I have a Dixon tunable poly A and it's quite nice. Deep, strong, flute-like tone and accurate. I've played other good A whistles but no more than I use an A, the Dixon does a good job.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

trill wrote:I borrowed a Susato narrow bore A once for a few weeks. I found that closing the holes was tough for me. I think the trouble I had is rooted in simple anatomy: I have small fingers. Everyone is different.
I always assume that any whistle from Bb on down will require piper's grip on at least the bottom hand. That pretty much eliminates the personal anatomy factor in choosing whistles. Any low whistle player needs to acquire piper's grip as a necessary skill. It's non-optional. And not hard. Then if you come across a low whistle that you can manage with standard grip, that's a bonus.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Sober Sam

Post by Sober Sam »

Take a Goldie Overton! They are NOT too expencive. Just look at the quality and the craftmanship. AND the customer support.
Why do people use aluminum to put beer in it, if you can make whistles out of it?
Sober Sam

Post by Sober Sam »

PS: If you think a Goldie whistle is too expencive, maybe you don't deserve one anyway.
Why do people use aluminum to put beer in it, if you can make whistles out of it?
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

Sober Sam wrote:PS: If you think a Goldie whistle is too expencive, maybe you don't deserve one anyway.
Aren't you a bit too fast to judge? For example, when 15, I wouldn't get a holiday job, and with 3-4 euros of pocket money, I'd have to accumulate money for quite a long time - could be the same case here.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Sober Sam wrote:PS: If you think a Goldie whistle is too expencive, maybe you don't deserve one anyway.
Yeah, that's just silly and crass. Are you saying that poor people don't deserve nice things because they are too poor to be able to afford them? :really:

I also think that Goldie-Overton is the gold standard in low whistles. In Thailand the annual per capita household spending is around US$1500. The Overton low A costs €181 or US$258. Or approximately 17% of average disposable spending. That's a lot of gai kua noodles. Food for thought, eh?

If that's not what you meant, then my apologies.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

MTGuru wrote: Yeah, that's just silly and crass. Are you saying that poor people don't deserve nice things because they are too poor to be able to afford them? :really:
Well, Kenny had to day because he was poor :D

Anyway, that's not to diminish the point I agree with.