Reviol vs. Burns - opinions?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dhamilingu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Reviol vs. Burns - opinions?

Post by dhamilingu »

Hi all,

I am contemplating an upgrade from my Casey Burns small-handed folk flute. One important consideration is my relatively small hand size (20 cm from pinky tip to thumb tip) - obviously the folk flute is very comfortable, but I think I can manage something a little bigger.

I am considering the following two flutes: a Reviol Rudall (two-piece body), or a Burns ergonomic standard (one-piece body). Finger spread is not the only consideration, but if the Reviol is too much of a stretch that might point me toward the Burns.

I know that they are both very reputable flute makers, but any personal experience with either (or both) of these flutes would be helpful.

Thanks,

Pete
celticmodes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Reviol vs. Burns - opinions?

Post by celticmodes »

I took a snapshot of my Reviol against a ruler so you can compare to your current Burns. It's quite large so I didn't link it into this post.

http://www.celticmodes.com/images/Reviol_Spacing.JPG

I can't speak for the Burns flutes except that they are highly regarded. There will be tons of opinions about the sound and quality of his flutes on this board so feel free to use the search feature.

I "think" the bore (2cm interior at the head tenon) and tone holes on the Reviol are on the large size compared to Burns. Mine likes a lot of air because of that. It's such a nice sounding flute but more Rudall(ish) than Pratten(ish) except for the large bore. Hard to explain.
celticmodes
[Reviol 8 key | Oz Vambrace | Dusty Strings Ravenna | Luna Trinity Parlor]
celticmodes

Post by celticmodes »

Oh, and another thing. If you read this post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70975 you'll see a conversation about the folk flute vs. the standard flute from Burns including a comment from the maker.

I'm interested why you feel you need to upgrade? Do you think your current flute is holding you back or were you looking for a different sound?
celticmodes
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

Hey Pete,

I've not tried Reviol's Rudall.

But I've had one of Reviol's original model flute and numerous Burns flutes.

Reviol and Burns flutes are very different beasts. Burns flutes have one of the easiest embouchures your ever likely to meet and a very complex tone. Reviol flutes have a fairly demanding embouchure (but rewarding) and a rather pure tone. If memory serves on the Reviol, the fingerspread for the RH is "typical", but the LH is a bit larger than the norm.

These are just my experiences, others will vary.
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

If your hands are small so are mine...yet I've never met any flute I couldn't play.

Get whatever flute you want - unless you have really skinny fingers, you should be fine.

Eric
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

dhamilingu wrote:Hi all,

I am contemplating an upgrade from my Casey Burns small-handed folk flute. One important consideration is my relatively small hand size (20 cm from pinky tip to thumb tip) - obviously the folk flute is very comfortable, but I think I can manage something a little bigger....

Thanks,
Pete
Pete,

With your hand size (spread) you shouldn't have a problem with just about any flute if you use piper's grip on the bottom, but even with standard (fingertip) grip on the bottom, you still should be ablet to handle most flutes. I have a fingerspread of only 19 cm, and have not had a problem with any concerning my hand and finger spread. Surely you wouldn't have a problem with any of Casey's flutes, which tend to have very friendly spacing, even if they aren't a small hand version.

Does Reviol now make a Rudall and another version? I thought he only had one model flute, that is Rudall based?
~~~~
Barry
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

Hey Barry! :)

Doc currently has a Reviol Rudall at the Irish Flute Store.

Here's his picture:

Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
celticmodes

Post by celticmodes »

Sillydill wrote:Reviol flutes have a fairly demanding embouchure (but rewarding) and a rather pure tone.
This has been my experience. Some days I win (and get the reward)...some days the demanding embouchure wins.
celticmodes
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Sillydill wrote:Hey Barry! :)

Doc currently has a Reviol Rudall at the Irish Flute Store.

Here's his picture:

Hey Jordan-OK, right, that's the one with the plastic lined headjoint. But is it a different model from his other flutes?

Pete-No question that you could find a flute from Casey that you would like, if you like your flute. I would think the regular models would suit you fine hand and tone wise-they are some really nice flutes that have a very seductive sound, to my ears.
~~~~
Barry
dhamilingu

Post by dhamilingu »

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I'm sure that the Casey Burns ergonomic standard would be fine for my hands, but I'm also mindful of what Casey wrote here recently about his folk flutes vs. his higher-end flutes. If the acoustical properties are the same, then an "upgrade" becomes a question of how much I need a tuning slide - rings and end cap are nice, but not deal-breakers. I do find my folk flute to play on the sharp side, even after head-joint adjustments - but that could easily just be my playing. Anyone with experience with both a folk flute and one of Casey's higher-end models, I'd be interested to hear what you think of the differences.

At any rate, I have contacted Mr. Reviol to see if he does (or can do) flutes with offset holes. We'll see what he says!

Barry and Eric, I'm glad to hear your opinion about being able to handle any flute. I guess I'm a little cautious because my first flute, which mostly sits unplayed, is an Olwell bamboo D. I find the left-hand spread a little wide for fluid playing, which seems especially to compromise L3 (lacking some dexterity, sometimes doesn't seal properly). The picture that Mark attached (thanks BTW) suggests that his Reviol cast bore has a finger spacing very similar to my Olwell.

Anyway, my folk flute isn't holding me back by any means - it's a fine flute and sounds great, and very easy on the hands. But Casey himself characterizes the folk flute as an entry-level instrument (albeit a high-quality one). Having played the flute now for three years, I know that I'll stick with it. So that seems to beg the questions of what instrument I'll be playing in the longer term, and when I should get that instrument in my hands. I suppose almost everyone gets to the stage where they move to their second instrument, and I imagine lots of people make that move before they hit the ceiling on their first.

Now, what I would REALLY like is a Windward flute (which also happens to be my closest flute maker!), but they seem a little out of my price range at the moment. Still, maybe I should wait and save my pennies. Mmmmmm.....olive wood....

Cheers,

Pete
celticmodes

Post by celticmodes »

The diameter of the Reviol in the left hand is large. My hands are big enough to handle it but I know Gabriel had too much cramping which caused him to sell his.
celticmodes
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

A bamboo flute is not representative of most flutes with regard to hole spacing since it's darn near cylindrical (bamboo is a teeny, tiny bit conical). I've had problems with a few bamboo flutes as well.

I've played Seery, Sweetheart, Dave Williams, Patrick Olwell, McGee Pratten, Dixon 3 piece, Casey Burns large hole standard...with inline holes, M&E, and I'm sure other flutes I've forgotten (I've not owned all those, but I've played a few tunes on all) and I've not had a problem with the hole spacing on any of them. Conical flutes make the hole spacing much less of an issue than you have on any cylindrical bore instrument.

Eric
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

dhamilingu wrote:I guess I'm a little cautious because my first flute, which mostly sits unplayed, is an Olwell bamboo D.
...Now, what I would REALLY like is a Windward flute (which also happens to be my closest flute maker!), but they seem a little out of my price range at the moment. Still, maybe I should wait and save my pennies.
Selling your Olwell bamboo could net you quite a few pennies toward a Windward. They've been going for around $300-$400 on ebay.
celticmodes

Post by celticmodes »

I had my eye on the Windwards early on. They are absolutely beautiful but also just out of my price range when I was looking. Would still love to have one.
celticmodes